homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » ximeta Netdisk

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ximeta Netdisk
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 5 posted June 19, 2005 19:30      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so, i picked up 4 of these for $40 each

120gb external usb2 and most important , ETHERNET connection

here's the problem i didn't know about before i bought them:

you HAVE to load software on a pc in order to access the drive, they don't use IP

what the F*** kind of bull**** is that? what the hell is the point of having ethernet network attached storage if the pc has to be on in order to share out contents?

can't connect via IP, has no ftp server = worthless to me

so, the question then is - can this netdisk 120gb drive be hacked in order to put something real (access via IP, maybe a webpage config, and ftp server) on it?

[Embarrassed] [Frown] [Mad] [Confused] [cry baby] [thumbsdown] [Smile]

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2005 21:53      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you are accessing via ip.
i believe that you mean access via ftp, smb/cifs, nfs, afp/ip, etc.

you realize that they have drivers available for almost any operating system?

-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2005 06:51      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tut-an-Geek:
you are accessing via ip.
i believe that you mean access via ftp, smb/cifs, nfs, afp/ip, etc.

you realize that they have drivers available for almost any operating system?

via IP, apparently somehow it is - but not in a good way

yes they have drivers, and i don't want to use a ****ing driver or have to access via their app
i don't want to install anything

wanna type the ip, once i can figure out just exactly what it is, into a browser and configure w/e i want from there
or terminal server, i don't care so long as it's
not through an application
not forcing to load a driver
shows as a NETWORK drive and not a local drive

would be nice to also get an ftp server into it as well because that was the whole idea of getting these drives - i could take two servers offline and consolidate a lot of stuff onto these drives

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 5 posted June 25, 2005 00:56      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
anyone else have info?

--------------------

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2005 09:46      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take out the hard drives and ebay the enclosures - there are plenty of morons who will give you $40 just for the enclosure itself, with no drive in it.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2005 16:28      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, that's what i was thinking too

i'd prefer to hack what i have [Wink]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture