homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Video card for Mac G4 (Sims2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Video card for Mac G4 (Sims2)
Patrick
Mini Geek
Member # 1793

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 26, 2005 21:05      Profile for Patrick   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I was totally excited about getting the Sims 2, as they've been saying that it'll be out for the Mac sometime mid-June. But then I looked at the game specs. Not only do I need to upgrade my OS to 10.3.9 (at least I don't have to fork over money to buy Tiger), but I also have to buy a video card!

Anyway, to my question. Do I need to buy a specific type of video card, because as I was looking through some of the specs for the ATI Radeon and such at Best Buy, they don't mention the Mac anywhere, but they do mention the Windows OS.

--------------------
"Oh, come on - are you telling me that you can look at a monkey and not get hungry?"
- Bucky Katt, GET FUZZY

Posts: 84 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 26, 2005 21:52      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need an ATi card that is Made for the Mac. Got to their site for their Mac Video card line. You cand also find them at just about any Mac retailer, mail order, Amazon etc...
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
admford
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3860

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 27, 2005 01:30      Profile for admford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
actually, if you're proficient with a soldering iron, you can modify certain PC video cards to run on a Mac. I have a Quicksilver 733MHz G4 model that's running a Radeon 9800 XT with 256MB of ram inside it. If you're interested, there's a forum dedicated to this type of modifications. They also have various copies of the video card's roms which you can use to replace the PC rom that's in the card.
Posts: 2 | From: Northern Italy | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted May 27, 2005 08:44      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of video cards, I have an older dual 500 G4 with the original video card...
Chipset Model: ATY,Rage128Pro
VRAM (Total): 16 MB
Vendor: ATI

In your humble opinions, would getting a newer video card improve the performance of this machine to any degree such that it would be justify the cost of said newer video card. [Geek]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 27, 2005 09:21      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
Speaking of video cards, I have an older dual 500 G4 with the original video card...
Chipset Model: ATY,Rage128Pro
VRAM (Total): 16 MB
Vendor: ATI

In your humble opinions, would getting a newer video card improve the performance of this machine to any degree such that it would be justify the cost of said newer video card. [Geek]

If you want to get the full effects of Quartz Extreme in OSX a card with 32 MB or higher will do it. It really depends an what all you do with that Mac. Photoshop and Illus. will perform better with more VRAM. Games will run better too.
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 29, 2005 13:45      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The easiest way would be to get a Windows machine...
Really..
With Windows machine you would be playing these games since many months.. And use virtually every common graphics card..- no OS upgrading or graphic card upgrading necessseray..

^^
This is futile, a waste of time. I hate people who refuse to see the ineviteable. Buy Windows- be treated better o_O ;-)

--------------------
Pizza and ginormous jugs is what I need!

Posts: 374 | From: Vienna | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2005 14:30      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom- geeking around:
The easiest way would be to get a Windows machine...
Really..
With Windows machine you would be playing these games since many months.. And use virtually every common graphics card..- no OS upgrading or graphic card upgrading necessseray..

^^
This is futile, a waste of time. I hate people who refuse to see the ineviteable. Buy Windows- be treated better o_O ;-)

WAH?! All I hear from windows gamers is how they are always upgrading their hardware in order to have a killer gaming machine.
[crazy]

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture