homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » wireless 'net

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: wireless 'net
toobe

Member # 3783

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2005 09:04      Profile for toobe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, so I'm about to break down and set up my own wireless internet... it's a bit more consistent than stealing everyone elses.

Anyone out there have suggestions on what hardware (ie. base station) is the best bet/best value? Any other comments, suggestions, helpful hints?

BTW, I'm running a Powerbook G4 (second to latest incarnation, 1.33 GHz), still on OS 10.3, may well be upgrading to Tiger in the near future, in case that helps.

Thanks in advance!

--------------------
Studies show reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it.

Posts: 175 | From: Victoria, BC | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2005 15:48      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're planning on using a router, may I suggest the Linksys WRT54G? It's the best one that I've used and at least one other of my friends has one as well. From what I've heard, you'll want to stay away from anything by NetGear. I don't have any experience with them personally, but I've heard things. Hope that's helpful.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2005 15:49      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and, if you want, you can hack that router and put linux on it
[thumbsup]

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Alan!
Geek
Member # 1261

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2005 01:49      Profile for Alan!     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
also recommending linksys, as a subsidiary of Cisco.

However, I will have to disagree with any bad things said about netgear, particularly the beasty routers.

That, and netgear router/modems are one of the best replacements to the linksys anyway, given that linksys currently only do separate modem/routers.

--------------------
Alan!

Two rabbis, a priest, and an awkward silence after there's no intelligible punch line to this joke, walk into a bar.

Posts: 219 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2005 06:28      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had no problem with my Airport Express.

And I'll have to agree that the net gear equipment is junk. I had a router that my Airport is pluged into and also my PC. I got so fed up with resetting the thing weekly that I just put a Wi-fi 802.11g card in the PC and took the router out compleatly. Now every thing is working smooth as snot.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture