homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » The Troubles with Tiger

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Troubles with Tiger
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted May 14, 2005 13:55      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UPDATE: I found the problems... it was actually two different problems, being caused by two third party aps.. and ancient version of Keyboard Maestro.. I updated, and it fixed the AFP connection Status error.

Then an app called Butler, which I use for a multiple pasteboard. I just had to reconfigure it a bit and the second problem is now gone. Whew.

My apologizes to the big cat on these issues. [blush]
There's still some flaky fur balls around though. [Geek]

-------------------------original post-----
Arrrrrg. I'm having trouble with Tiger and networking, and keep getting this error on start-up...

-

Then I keep getting this error, which is popping up every 20 minutes or so. GRRRRRRRRRR [Mad]

-

I didn't have these errors in Panther. When installing Tiger, I did an Archive and Install. (Nitro's computer and my Pismo do not have the problem. They are also on the same network, Tiger was a simple upgrade for them.)

I'm on an Airport/Ethernet network, Appletalk activated so I can access a Mac OS 9.2 machine. While searching for this problem on the net I did notice some Apple Discussion board stuff about creating a new Automatic location. I did that, and it seemed to fix other airport problems I was having, but this AFP error remains.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: It's something with my user. If I log on as a different user the error doesn't appear. Hmmm, some kind of alias to a long forgotten server maybe?

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2005 17:55      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me humbly suggests that folks who haven't already run out to buy Tiger wait for 10.4.1 or .2, like I am. This was nonetheless rushed out the door, and I bet there are a few significant bugs left. (I was reading on Macintouch that a new build number was passed out to developers /after/ the gold master was said to have gone out.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2005 18:33      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
/me humbly suggests that folks who haven't already run out to buy Tiger wait for 10.4.1 or .2, like I am. This was nonetheless rushed out the door, and I bet there are a few significant bugs left. (I was reading on Macintouch that a new build number was passed out to developers /after/ the gold master was said to have gone out.)

Sound advice from dm as ever... From what I've heard 10.4.1 fixes about two dozen bugs, but from Macintouch, Macfixit and more than a few others, it looks like there's a *lot* more patching to be done yet...

(didn't 10.3.1 get released within a month of 10.3 hitting the stores? do I detect a pattern here? and do I know the meaning of "rhetorical"? ;-)

/looks wistfully at his still unopened box of 10.4, summons unknown reserves of patience, logs out, goes to bed...

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2005 19:28      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had my own AFP issues in tiger
 -

littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2005 01:19      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had some funny bonjour ichat problems- the user is in the buddy list, but unreachable if I try to message them. Apart from that, I'm a happy tiger user.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2005 10:05      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did an "Archive and Install" update. For the first day or so it felt slightly sluggish and flaky, but then it settled down very nicely, (perhaps as the old Panther prefs got rewritten with Tiger ones?). The last few glitches seem to have disappeared since I ran Disk Warrior. Perhaps Mac OS X installers themselves are not without problems, as I remember that running Disk Warrior after installing Panther uncovered some significant errors too.

All in all I think that Tiger is in pretty good shape for an initial release. To the best of my recollection, there seem to be fewer problems reported, than occurred on the first release of Panther.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 15, 2005 10:46      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found the problems... read the original post for details. [Smile]
Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
MacGenius
Alpha Geek
Member # 1333

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2005 09:02      Profile for MacGenius   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I installed Tiger on my 120 GB drive and left Panther on the 200 GB one. I'm as excited about the new features as anyone else, but it's unacceptable that some programs don't work and there are issues with the internet connection. The biggest problem prolly is that the 120 GB drive has about .65 GB free on it. Ugh...
Posts: 264 | From: Mars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2005 19:00      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW, 10.4.1 now available via software update.
Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2005 07:32      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh...RScottV beat me to the punch of pointing out this article...as seen on Macintouch:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301517

*That* was fast - I might just want to wait for 10.4.2 before I buy Tiger. [Wink]

/me checks his credit card statement online...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
functors and the city
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3904

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted May 18, 2005 12:29      Profile for functors and the city   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
10.4.1 didn't fix the vexing absurd annoying problem with non-Apple keyboards that didn't exist at all under Panther.

--------------------
---
tutto burla nel mondo

Posts: 12 | From: Rio de Janeiro, RJ | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eric
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4026

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted June 04, 2005 08:08      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
10.4 Server also has its share of problems.

This week at work we decided to upgrade our internal XServe from 10.2 to 10.4. Unfortunately, we didn't know that there is a known issue where the "Inherit permissions from parent" option is broken for share points. This is bad since we use the server mainly for file sharing, and this way no one except the owner of a file gets write/execute permissions. Apple's quick fix is to use ACLs, but it's not a perfect solution. Also, we are (so far) unable to downgrade the included MySQL 4.1 to 4.0.

So yeah, the rule about waiting for .2 is very true.

Posts: 10 | From: Iowa | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture