homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Comprehensive OS X hard disk utility?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Comprehensive OS X hard disk utility?
CoffeeSmack
Mini Geek
Member # 3937

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted May 12, 2005 20:02      Profile for CoffeeSmack         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've recently made a giant leap forward OS-wise by going from an old system running OS9 to a new(ish) G4 running OS X. I've upgraded to 10.4 Tiger and I'm thinking about getting some sort of hard disk utility to keep my drives in good shape, but I'm not sure which one is right for me.

In the past I used Norton Utilities because it conveniently defragmented my drives in additon to fixing a host of other major/minor problems. While there is a new version of NU available for X-systems, I'm wondering if there is something better out there.

I'm unfamiliar with some of the newer issues regarding X, for instance repairing permissions and the like. Can anybody suggest a good, reliable disk utility that will help me out with general maintenance not performed by the included system utils? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posts: 62 | From: Mount Joy, PA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2005 20:14      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH MY GOODNESS!!! You're from Lancaster, PA, too?! YAY!! Tell me all about yourself!

Eeee, now that I have that out of my system, welcome to GC. [Smile] I'd help you if I could, but I'll let people who actually know where to find what you seek provide answers. In the meantime, go ahead and brag about yourself: where you work, where you went to school, how long you've lived in Lancaster, what you do for fun, what you think of Clipper Magazine Stadium and the Barnstormers, etc. [Wink]

/me wonders how another Lancastrian found out about GC.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2005 04:23      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello and Welcome!

Overall you shouldn't really need much in the way of extra tools on OS X as the system keeps the disks pretty well maintained as it stands.

As I understand it Norton is best avoided these days but Disk Warrior is apparently Tiger compatible and has always been highly regarded and Tech Tool Pro isn't bad either.

Repairing permissions is usually best done using the Disk Utility (although "repair" is a bit of a misnomer "reset to default" is closer to the truth...) and to be honest unless the Mac starts misbehaving or telling you you don't have permission for xyz when you should there isn't a great deal of need to worry about it in my experience.

Basically X checks the disk every startup and shutdown, the HD is journalled to backtrack if any errors are found and de-fragging is dealt with on the fly by the system a lot of the older OS 9 "routine maintenance" just doesn't exist anymore....

If you really feel the need to poke about with some of these take a look at say Cocktail or Onyx

Happy Mac'ing

[thumbsup]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2005 06:16      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Disk Warrior is the only OSX disk utility worth bothering with, and is well worth the money. If you are buying for the first time make sure you get v. 3.03, which was only issued yesterday, as previous versions are not Tiger compatible. If you cannot find your Tiger DVD, you can also run the Disk Utility repair routine by restarting in single user mode (Cmd - S) and repeatedly running fsck until you
get the message "name_of_your_hard_disk appears to be OK". Then type "reboot" and return to leave that command line stuff behind you.

In the main however I can confirm what Serenak said, that OSX is very stable and does not suffer much HD corruption, so sorting this out need not be an urgent task.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
chenjen
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3946

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2005 16:08      Profile for chenjen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For simple Disk/Permissions Repair install applejack cf applejack.sourceforge.net/
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2005 16:16      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fsck
Disk Utility
err... that's it, really :-)

FWIW, I'm hearing that Disk Warrior for Tiger may possibly be a teensy bit flaky -- Applejack is apparently "Not tested on Tyger" ( http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=20738&group_id=79562 ) -- and personally I wouldn't touch Norton Futility with the proverbial 3m bargepole -- but what do I know about anything ;-)

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Danapoppa
Geek
Member # 1555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2005 06:01      Profile for Danapoppa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had pretty good experiences with both TTP and DiskWarrior.

I suspect the background disk check run by TechTool Pro is at least a co-culprit in a crash involving MS Excel and my wife's Japanese language input software. Otherwise, however, it seems to do a pretty good job.

Posts: 237 | From: South of Mt. Fuji | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
CoffeeSmack
Mini Geek
Member # 3937

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2005 22:26      Profile for CoffeeSmack         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your input, everybody. Sorry I haven't replied until now; My job pays the bills, not my computer... yet!

I'm thinking about looking into Disk Warrior, along with Cocktail and Onyx. I've used Techtool in the past for general things like Desktop rebuilding, PRAM, etc. but I haven't checked into any of its "X" specific features. I think you can understand how migrating to a new OS can mess with your head, even if it's from an Apple OS to another Apple OS! I'm sure a lot of it's paranoia, but with OS9 I got a LOT more mileage out of my machine by keeping up with simple tasks and I want to do the same with my new computer.

Posts: 62 | From: Mount Joy, PA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture