homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » The Dinner (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Dinner
Zim'et
Alpha Geek
Member # 2448

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2005 21:31      Profile for Zim'et         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you could have dinner with anyone living or dead, who would it be? I would have dinner with my Grandpa who died when I was a baby. He had a tattoo, making him cooler than Jesus. [Wink]

--------------------
3 2 1... Let's Jam

Posts: 254 | From: Montana | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2005 22:41      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of the people on my list would be fairly controversial, because I'm not all that interested in dining with the 'good guys'. It's the villains of history I'd find to be the most interesting dinner partners, Hitler, Napoleon, Pol Pot, Caligula, the real nutters. I guess it's the same thing that makes sharks the stars at most aquaria, we are fascinated by that which we fear.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2005 22:45      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Data and Lex Luther (from Smallville), but not at the same dinner 'cause I'm afraid Lex would overshadow Data.

And a few people from GC... [Wink]

Hmm, what does it say about me if I want to meet fictitious people? [ohwell]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jessycat

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2005 22:59      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lewis Carroll (or I guess I should say Charles Dodgson)
Posts: 491 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2005 23:05      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charles Manson, John Lennon, and Syd Barret for obvious reasons.

/me makes bubbling noises

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2005 23:14      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Hmm, what does it say about me if I want to meet fictitious people?

Hmm, I thought GC people were real people? The last person to call GC people "fake people" [1] was a little bit mentally unstable [Wink]

[1] Probably an understatement. Yeah, and a memory test for long term GCers.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
n4dmx
Geek
Member # 3177

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2005 23:53      Profile for n4dmx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
William J. Sidis
Posts: 218 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2005 23:58      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isaac Asimov

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2005 00:14      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Devil.

Assuming people disagree that he/she/it is either living or dead, i'd go for

dum de dum

Sokrates.

Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2005 01:09      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Hmm, what does it say about me if I want to meet fictitious people?

Hmm, I thought GC people were real people? The last person to call GC people "fake people" [1] was a little bit mentally unstable [Wink]

[1] Probably an understatement. Yeah, and a memory test for long term GCers.

Fake and fictitious are two different things in my book. Besides, I was hinting at the existentialism of online communication. [Razz]
Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2005 05:15      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kevin Smith. I've talked to him plenty of times via the Internet, but I'd like to just sit down and have a chat with that man.

My grandfather on my Dad's side, who died when I was too young to remember.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2005 05:55      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill Shatner and/or Leonard Nemoy.
J.R.R. Tolkien
Frank Herbert
Albert Einstein
Aleister Crowley

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2005 06:49      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jordanv:
Assuming people disagree that he/she/it is either living or dead, i'd go for

dum de dum

Sokrates.

Oooh, interesting. At one point I would have agreed, but after having spent a few months reading almost nothing but Plato, I have to say, I think Socrates was a bit of a wank.

Aristotle is someone I'd love to have dinner with, since he was also a wank: he figured that women were inferior to men, since they have less teeth. Not that he ever counted or anything. I'd make him count mine before we ate. And then I'd watch him sulk. [Smile]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2005 06:53      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
I think Socrates was a bit of a wank.

My Philosopher of choice would be Wayne Slob: "I stink, therefore I am."

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2005 06:57      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A naked dinner with Tina Fey [hearts] and Amy Lee [hearts]

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2005 14:15      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) Arthur C. Clarke
2) Plato - Just to ask him what that whole Atlantis story was about. Was he just joking?
3) Groucho Marx
4) Buddha

Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2005 14:24      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Easy. Pope John Paul II.
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2005 14:36      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eric S. Raymond
my maternal grandfather (now deceased)
Roger Zelazny
Nikola Tesla (did amazing things with AC theory)
Frank Herbert
God
Satan
Odin

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2005 14:59      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jordanv:
Sokrates.

AAARRRGGHHH !!!!
NO !!!

I can see it now....

me: Good evening Sokrates, would you like a cup of coffee?

Sokrates: But you already know the answer, consider .......

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2005 19:37      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Feynman. No question.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2005 20:17      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Galileo Galilei
2. Ghandi
3. Mary Magdalene
4. Georgia O'Keeffe
5. Elvis

--------------------
Nothing is too petty to be thoroughly discussed.

Posts: 316 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2005 21:33      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
  • C.S. Lewis
  • Martin Luther King, Jr.
  • David Hume
  • Friedrich Nietzsche

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2005 22:48      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No competition here: I'd like to have dinner with my future husband. (Don't know his name yet though, 'cause I've yet to meet him. [Wink] )

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2005 23:07      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tech Angel:
No competition here: I'd like to have dinner with my future husband. (Don't know his name yet though, 'cause I've yet to meet him. [Wink] )

Hmm, presumably you haven't tried the naked, with beer approach yet.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2005 00:41      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:
Originally posted by Tech Angel:
I'd like to have dinner with my future husband. (Don't know his name yet though, 'cause I've yet to meet him. [Wink] )

Hmm, presumably you haven't tried the naked, with beer approach yet.
No, that's the second date; I was referring to our first one.

Or are you simply suggesting "ways to meet guys"?

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture