homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Magnetic Heat Engine (need help)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Magnetic Heat Engine (need help)
William
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3872

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2005 15:26      Profile for William     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi i am building a magnetic heat engine for my science project. This is pretty much a demonstration for the curie effect. http://www.scitoys.com/scitoys/scitoys/magnets/curie_engine/curie_engine.html is the website where i found this project. I got all of the required materials and when i built it for some reason the magnet wouldn't loose it's attraction to the bigger magnet. I placed the candle under it but it just got really hot and didn't loose it's ability. Can someone help me?

My parts:
Copper Antenna Wire (from radio shack)
1-1/8" Round Ceramic Magnets from radio shack http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=64-1888
and
6 ceramic magnets from radio shack http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=64-1877

Posts: 1 | From: Readfield | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
CraigP
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3874

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2005 05:12      Profile for CraigP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think your problem is the magents you're using. The more common ceramic magnets have a great deal of iron in them (the Currie temp for regular iron is 770 degrees C which is probably a great deal higher then you'll get out of a candle!) The website mentioned neodymium-iron-boron magnets which have a Currie temp more like 400 C. And the beads they used are quite small (easy to heat). Hope this helps....

-Craig (uber geek on this one)

Posts: 1 | From: Princeton, NJ | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2005 09:55      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know a damned thing about curie engines, so I won't comment on that, but there's only one o in lose. [Smile]

</spelling-nazi>

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
jfw
Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1923

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2005 12:16      Profile for jfw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It occurs to me that showing both "versions" of the heat engine side-by-side (nonworking iron/ceramic with curie point of 770C, versus working version with curie point around 400C), you could handily show off the variability of the curie point in different materials. It might make a more compelling display than a single working engine which might as well be working by magic.

To quote an old Gumby cartoon: "That's the beauty of science: when you make a mistake, you know it!"

Posts: 20 | From: Boxboro Massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture