homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Binary message [molecule d m] (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Binary message [molecule d m]
shriver
Geek
Member # 3556

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2005 17:04      Profile for shriver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My friend found some interesting grafitti the other day.

quote:

This message appeared on the wall in the pedestrian underpass at the
University of Utah around April 15, 2005. Using the ASCII character set,
it translates to:

molecule
d
m

If you have any idea what this is about, I am curious.

Any ideas?

--------------------
And a thousand thousand slimy things
Lived on; and so did I.

Posts: 111 | From: Seattle | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2005 17:19      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It means the graf. artist needs to get another wife. He has too much time on his hands! [Razz]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2005 18:38      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Another* wife? Methinks one wife would be enough to keep him too busy for such graffiti.
Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2005 18:44      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hehe... mage, it was a joke. Utah is the home of most of the Mormons in the United States. Traditionally they've been polygamous. Thus... [Wink]

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2005 18:46      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
It means the graf. artist needs to get another wife.

Hey, I didn't know you were a Mormon! [Razz]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2005 18:51      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you implying I'm batting for the other team, too? If so, I have a few ideas how to remedy that assumption... [Razz]

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2005 19:21      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Are you implying I'm batting for the other team, too?

Uh, no, it was a dig at Mormon polygamy[1]. Now I'm confused [Confused]

[1] Yes, I know that most LDS members don't believe in polygamy anymore

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2005 19:51      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Q) What's the penalty for polygamy in the Utah?

A) Two mothers-in-law.

... here till Friday, try veal, tip waitresses ...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2005 21:16      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh, missed the U of Utah thing in the OP. I am aware of Utah's reputation, being an American.

Wasn't it one of the branches (well, schismed groups, I guess) of the LDS that supports polygamy that Jon Krakauer covered in "Banner of Heaven"?

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2005 21:21      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
Ooh, missed the U of Utah thing in the OP. I am aware of Utah's reputation, being an American.

Wasn't it one of the branches (well, schismed groups, I guess) of the LDS that supports polygamy that Jon Krakauer covered in "Banner of Heaven"?

Yep, that's basically it. From my understanding, at some point the mainstream LDS had a new revelation (ie changed viewpoints) re polygamy. Sometime after that a breakaway group formed that still held to polygamy, and possibly some other beliefs.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

shriver
Geek
Member # 3556

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2005 22:34      Profile for shriver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
From my understanding, at some point the mainstream LDS had a new revelation (ie changed viewpoints) re polygamy.

They tend to have new revelations every now and again, whenever one of their viewpoints goes out of favor (such as their early standpoint on skin color).

"Under the Banner of Heaven" has quite a lot of fascinating history in it. It has a lot about the LDS church's founder, Smith, and the church's history. It's good to know about the history of the population group that dominates the place I grew up in.

--------------------
Lived on; and so did I.

maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2005 23:03      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This story is crazy. Basically, an offshoot of this polygamist sect has moved to West Texas. I don't know what's worse: the sect moving to Texas, or our fine legislature proposing to change the age of consent for marriage from 14 to 16! I mean, I am all for passing stricter laws, but I was under the impression that the age of consent for marriage was 18. Fourteen is entirely too young to get married. I was still playing with dolls at that age. Ok, ok, I was watching Beavis and Butt-head and smoking cigarettes, but still. I was certainly not anywhere near ready for marriage. Hell, ten years later I still have no clue about these things.

--------------------
Nothing is too petty to be thoroughly discussed.

Posts: 316 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2005 23:25      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shriver:
quote:
From my understanding, at some point the mainstream LDS had a new revelation (ie changed viewpoints) re polygamy.

They tend to have new revelations every now and again, whenever one of their viewpoints goes out of favor (such as their early standpoint on skin color).
I believe the 'revelation' abouty polygamy was prompted by Lincolns threat to send the army in.

As for their skin colour thing, I went to school in a town with a noticable Mormon minority (there were 1 or 2 in most or my classes) and I once allowed a classmate to talk me into attending a mormon service (she had nice tits).

The subject of the sermon?

The evils of inter-racial marriage.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

californiarockr
Assimilated
Member # 1986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2005 09:18      Profile for californiarockr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My aunt is Mormon, and thus so are my cousins, kind of. They attend the service occasionally, had a church welcoming ceremony (they don't baptize, different theology, similar ritual, a general blessing). Most people do not join the Church of Latter Day Saints for the theology, and most realize it is weird. Basically it says that there were people living in the US, as well as the middle east, during the time of Jesus. The Isrealites at one point had sailed over here on a boat. When Jesus came, he also visited this civilization. A man named Mormon had written on some gold plates about all this, and back in present day, a man in Utah found these plates. God told him no more religious sects and to copy them, and he did, which is now the Book of Mormon. Unfortunatly, only a handful of people saw these plates before God took them. Also, in this belief system, when you die, you get your own planet to live on. But you can have ceremonies so that your family can all share one planet instead of being seperated.

As you can see, this theology is rarely the reason people join, rather its the incredibly strong sense of family and community. If you are mormon, you never have any doubt about your family's love and care for you. And if your family ever has financial trouble, the church will likely give you a large, 0% interest loan for an indefinate period of time.

That was the heavily abridged version of my essay for World Religions Class

--------------------
lol

Posts: 361 | From: guess... :/ | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2005 09:31      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not so sure I'd want to share a planet with my family for an eternity.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
shriver
Geek
Member # 3556

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2005 13:41      Profile for shriver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by californiarockr:
My aunt is Mormon, and thus so are my cousins, kind of. They attend the service occasionally, had a church welcoming ceremony (they don't baptize, different theology, similar ritual, a general blessing). Most people do not join the Church of Latter Day Saints for the theology, and most realize it is weird. Basically it says that there were people living in the US, as well as the middle east, during the time of Jesus. The Isrealites at one point had sailed over here on a boat. When Jesus came, he also visited this civilization. A man named Mormon had written on some gold plates about all this, and back in present day, a man in Utah found these plates. God told him no more religious sects and to copy them, and he did, which is now the Book of Mormon. Unfortunatly, only a handful of people saw these plates before God took them. Also, in this belief system, when you die, you get your own planet to live on. But you can have ceremonies so that your family can all share one planet instead of being seperated.

As you can see, this theology is rarely the reason people join, rather its the incredibly strong sense of family and community. If you are mormon, you never have any doubt about your family's love and care for you. And if your family ever has financial trouble, the church will likely give you a large, 0% interest loan for an indefinate period of time.

That was the heavily abridged version of my essay for World Religions Class

You've got a lot of facts in there, most of which are right-ish. The main point of your post is correct, though, that the LDS church is a large community (and corporation).

The LDS church does baptise, although it is a little different. Baptism is essential to salvation and one can be 'baptised by proxy' even after death, by a living descendant.

The Jewish merchant who came to the America's was named Lehi and his descendants are often rumored to be the Native Americans (DNA evidence shows no support of this).

The man who discovered the plates of Mormon, Joseph Smith, actually found them somewhere in New York. After a Great deal of persecution and murders (on both the side of the Mormons and those who lived around them), the LDS people moved west and eventually ended up in Utah. Note that Joseph Smith was killed in Nauvoo, IL. and never made it to Utah. Brigham Young led the Mormons into the Salt Lake valley and declared it 'the place.'

Mormon theology teaches that those who live the purest lives (are most sinless and heavily involved in the church) will reach the 'Celestial Kingdom.' In this celestial kindom, an individual is given a planet over which they rule as God, and in fact, our planet's God was once a man somewhere on another planet. Every individual that lives on that planet is a spiritual child of that God. In that way, each human on 'your planet' is spiritually related to you.

This is the product of years of watching people argue with Mormon missionaries about their belief system.

Is it just me or does any mention of 'Utah' always bring up a conversation about Mormons? It seems like that's what ends up happening whenever I mention that I am from Utah. I once had a Book of Mormon thrown at my crotch because I am from Utah.

--------------------
Lived on; and so did I.

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2005 14:15      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Mormon theology teaches that those who live the purest lives (are most sinless and heavily involved in the church) will reach the 'Celestial Kingdom.' In this celestial kindom, an individual is given a planet over which they rule as God, and in fact, our planet's God was once a man somewhere on another planet.

So the Mormons aren't monotheists?
Wow!
That's something I never saw in any of the glossy brochures!

Do you have to get promoted to 'Imperial Grand Dragon Third Level' before they tell you all the funny Sci-Fi stuff, or is that the Scientologists?

--------------------

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2005 19:01      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Wow!

In the strictest, anthropological sense most Christians wouldn't be considered monotheistic because there is more than one powerful, supernatural entity. The Devil, and possibly angels and demons would also get counted.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2005 19:09      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
quote:
Wow!

In the strictest, anthropological sense most Christians wouldn't be considered monotheistic because there is more than one powerful, supernatural entity. The Devil, and possibly angels and demons would also get counted.
Isn't the Devil just another demon, albeit a powerful one? Then there's the school of theology that says that demons are basically just fallen angels, anyway, so that would narrow it to just God and angels.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2005 19:23      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Is it just me or does any mention of 'Utah' always bring up a conversation about Mormons? It seems like that's what ends up happening whenever I mention that I am from Utah. I once had a Book of Mormon thrown at my crotch because I am from Utah.

I hear "Utah" and I think "powder snow" and "rock climbing" and "need to check that out" but that might just be me...

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2005 19:23      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Isn't the Devil just another demon, albeit a powerful one? Then there's the school of theology that says that demons are basically just fallen angels, anyway, so that would narrow it to just God and angels.

Well yes, the whole devil/angels/demons thing is debatable, but that's a whole nuther thing from "Good Evening, my name is Jehovah, I'll be your god for this planet....."

Looks to me like Jehovah just got a major demotion.

So, should we expect that if mankind ever colonises the galaxy, Mormons will worship the planetary deity-de-jour ?

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2005 19:30      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it's interesting, I've been working through the LDS web site trying to see if the way out "You too can become a God", and other weird stuff (like the planet Kolob) is readily accessible. Couldn't find any "you too can become a God", but found some references to Kolob (complete with out of context Bible passage).

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2005 19:50      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Actually, it's interesting, I've been working through the LDS web site trying to see if the way out "You too can become a God", and other weird stuff (like the planet Kolob) is readily accessible. Couldn't find any "you too can become a God", but found some references to Kolob (complete with out of context Bible passage).

/me wonders ... Is this the origin of the planet Kobol in Battlestar Galactica?

--------------------

magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2005 20:40      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shriver: Mormons are actually not the first thing that come to mind when I hear Utah. Nope, the first things are "Orrin Hatch" (which always makes me remember that "big beautiful Utah" snafu, as well as the whole "pirated software used to run his website" thing) and SCO.
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2005 20:40      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

/me wonders ... Is this the origin of the planet Kobol in Battlestar Galactica?
Actually, yes, it is. Battlestar Galactica is heavily Mormon influenced, as reported on
here

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture