homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » CMS?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CMS?
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted April 17, 2005 01:14      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok so I've resisted installing a content management system on my webhost for about a year since I got it. Basically I just wanted a high degree of control over the look of the site. Being a grad student, however, doesn't afford me much time to continue development of my site so I'm coming close to giving in. So I'm curious what sort of CMS or other software are you using to help you manage your website? How easy is it to set up and how much control does it give you over the layout?

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2005 02:26      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use vi. You can probably tell.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2005 04:20      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I quite like Mambo. It is very simple to use, very powerful, and has a large number of free add-ons. Just make sure that you turn on the caching option [Smile] . If you want to see it in action, we run it for everything on MacMod, and a number of my clients run it too. We even run it on Ackoo.com for some reason. I like it a lot.
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2005 20:31      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use PHPx... http://phpx.org/ for my site. It's young. It's small. It's has a lot of potential.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
californiarockr
Assimilated
Member # 1986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2005 22:31      Profile for californiarockr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For my forums, we use SMF. For personal site, I am using pico [Smile] . I have used PHP-nuke. Easy, customizable, and the AOL meets myspace of content management/blog tools.

I have heard good things about phpwiki

EDIT: wasn't sure if you meant high grade professional level, or uber blog level...

Posts: 361 | From: guess... :/ | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture