homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » So how many amber books were there, anyways?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So how many amber books were there, anyways?
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2005 20:22      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, first of all, how many of you have even heard of Roger Zelazny and the Chronicles of Amber? He's hailed everywhere on the internet as one of the greatest sci-fi authors ever (and IMHO, comes short only of frank herbert- and i can make a judgement, because i've read the majority of zelazny's works). However, the only person I know here in montana who's read the chronicles of amber is my dad, who introduced me to them.
I thought it was a really great series (alright, Merlin's chronicles were kind of weird, but they were still good).
anyways, any info on this would be appreciated.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2005 06:48      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the books at home, well there are two books at least, though it might be volumes one and two.

Great story.

There is also a diceless Role-playing game about Amber which is pretty popular as well.

Also by Zelazny, read 'Damnation Alley', ignore the film.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
N9IWP
Geek
Member # 1229

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2005 12:23      Profile for N9IWP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read the original series
I also read the sequel series

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Zelazny#Amber_novels

I named one of my hard drives "Ghostwheel" after the computer in the second series.

Brian

Posts: 181 | From: Southeast MN | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
fanboy_uk

Member # 2132

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2005 10:38      Profile for fanboy_uk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were five books originally these are known as the PatternFall War books or Corwin books after the main protagonist. These five also appeared together collected into two volumes.
The second set of five were about Merlin his son and were about the Courts of Chaos.

Zelazny also had a number of short stories published in various magazines some of which were collected together in 2004 in a volume called Manna from Heaven.

Amber: The Diceless Roleplaying Game (ADRPG) as it is better known is one of the better roleplaying games out there. It was published by Phage Press, but the rights now belong to The Guardians of Order Guardians of Order.
My roleplaying group are playing it every Tuesday.

M.

--------------------
A woman walked into a cocktail bar, took one look at the drinks menu and asked the barman for a Double Entendré.
So he gave her one

Posts: 161 | From: Brighton, UK (50.8389, -00.1876) | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2005 11:25      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gaurdians own Trigun? Whoa! I didn't realize that.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture