homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Yes, it's another English grammar question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yes, it's another English grammar question
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 15:31      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I realize that I should probably find a forum for English majors, writers, and proofreaders, but you guys are so great at answering my questions that I don't feel a need to find something else. [Smile]

Today's question:

"Meeting all your landscaping needs." Is that sentence okay without an "of" or should it read "Meeting all of your landscaping needs"? "Of" is acting like a preposition in this sentence, correct?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
n4dmx
Geek
Member # 3177

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 15:36      Profile for n4dmx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about 'landscaping'? It sounds a little more correcter to me. [Wink]

EDIT: I now withdraw my input due to an edit of the parent post.

Posts: 218 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 15:46      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Meeting all of your landscaping needs" sounds better to me, but my formal education in grammar was sadly lacking.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 15:54      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds wrong because landscape is a noun, not an adjective.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 15:58      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oy. I pulled that example out of my hat. Should've left it in there. [Razz]

Note: Landscape has been changed to landscaping in the original post.

Now back to the previously scheduled program, er, question: Is "of" necessary when "meeting all your needs"?

--------------------

HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 16:04      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...All of your landscaping needs." Sounds more better to me too.
Where I work we get a lot of business card orders from the
speedy print mom and pop type of stores. Our proofreaders job
is more to check that the card matches what the customer ordered
and not correct useage. I've seen, "We does landscaping.", "All your
land scaping needs." and "We cut grass!". All with equal seriousness
and certainty.

If were not helping much tonight you might want to check into the
Professional Organization of English Majors.

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 16:10      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol!!!! That is hysterical, HalfVast. Thanks for the laughs. [Wink]

--------------------

Brother Dysk
Geek Larva
Member # 3777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 20:28      Profile for Brother Dysk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While technically less correct, I find it sounsd better without the "of". It gets too long, clumsy, and less to the point with it.

That said, in an English essay, I'd be sure to use the "of". But for something like a slogan, I'd leave it out.

Posts: 25 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2005 05:59      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's another one of those, "what's correct doesn't matter anymore". 20 years ago, that might have been laughed at, but in today's day and age, where everything is shortened -- and that's OK -- the missing 'of' is perfectly acceptable.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2005 14:48      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I figured the best way to answer this was to Google "grammar" and "all of." (I have a book somewhere, but then I'd have to lift my butt off the couch...)

The first page of hits didn't actually indicate proper usage vis-a-vis all vs all of, but did contain all kinds of sentences on grammar sites that included all of.

If these guys know what they are talking about, I'd go with all of.

Posts: 145 | From: The couch in the living room | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2005 15:14      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhonwyyn--------I have to agree with Moemonkey, on this one. I am often agast with the English used by some Ad agents lately, I know my spelling is not the best but there used to be a program for gasp PCs called write right that could correct grammer and spelling.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2005 15:35      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
Rhonwyyn--------I have to agree with Moemonkey, on this one. I am often agast with the English used by some Ad agents lately, I know my spelling is not the best but there used to be a program for gasp PCs called write right that could correct grammer and spelling.

Someone needs to invent a spelling checker for sign-writers.
I used to work across the road from a shop which sold (in 2 metre high letters) "CAR STERIOS".

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2005 13:36      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From The Little Brown Handbook 5th edition:

quote:
all, all of Usually all is sufficient to modify a noun: all my loving, all the things you are. Before a pronoun or proper noun, all of is usually appropriate: all of me, in all of France.
I am suprised that you don't have one of these books, or something like it as a reference Rhonwyyn, considering your line of work.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2005 14:58      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CrawGator!! Where've you been?!?!

I've only been a proofreader for seven months. I do own a Roget's Thesaurus, Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary (Tenth Edition), Associated Press Stylebook and Briefing on Media Law, and the Chicago Manual of Style (Fifteenth Edition). More than that, I can't decide which ones to get. Any recommendations, particularly for dictionaries?

--------------------

DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2005 15:24      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
CrawGator!! Where've you been?!?!

Why right here. Just haven't been posting as much as of late.

quote:
I've only been a proofreader for seven months. I do own a Roget's Thesaurus, Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary (Tenth Edition), Associated Press Stylebook and Briefing on Media Law, and the Chicago Manual of Style (Fifteenth Edition). More than that, I can't decide which ones to get. Any recommendations, particularly for dictionaries?
The Little Brown Handbook is one of the finest reference books for the English written language. Go check out your local University bookstore and see if they have any and thumb through one. You should be able to find a used one in good shape for under $20. Trust me, it will be worth every penny.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2005 16:21      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Today's question:

"Meeting all your landscaping needs." Is that sentence okay without an "of" or should it read "Meeting all of your landscaping needs"? "Of" is acting like a preposition in this sentence, correct?

There's so much wrong here, one hardly knows where to begin. First off Rhon, it's a phrase, not a sentence. No big deal, we all knew what you meant, but dang it girl, if you're gonna be a Nazi be thorough, okay?

Secondly, I think it's all a big missunderstanding due to the initial misspellings. It is obvious that, instead of "landscaping needs", what was surely intended here was, "landscaper nerds". That being the case, it seems the phrase was intended to announce a gathering.

Thus we conclude that the "of" would be an absolute necessity, to wit:

"Meeting of all your landscaper nerds."

Which should, of course, be followed with details such as time, place, date, parking, etc.  -

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2005 16:28      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mod: +5, funny!!

"to wit"--pun intended?

Congrats on making me laugh, GG! [Big Grin]

And yes, point made re: sentence vs. phrase. I proof others' writing, not my own, remember? [Razz]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture