homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Watch...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Watch...
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted March 26, 2005 22:39      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TV?
movies?
underpants gnomes?

err no just kidding. I'm really interested in getting a new watch. My old one was an Ironman Datalink watch from Timex and still works and all, but its just too old and I'd like something with a little more sophisticated look to it. I'm looking to spend around $150 or less, and I'd really like it to set itself via the atomic time signal. It also needs to have timers that are easy to set so I don't have to haul around dorky lab timers during long incubations.

I'm looking at some casio watches and I've actually purchased and returned this one because I found it much cheaper online. Still, I'd like to hear what your suggestions might be; and if you've got a favorite watch or have seen some neat ones I'd like to hear about them too.

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2005 01:15      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got one of these. It only seems to work in the summer though.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2005 11:28      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Orpheus________I have somewhat near what you are asking for, it resets twice a day from the WWV time signal, has an alarm set and stopwatch. $29.95 US. Look up MFJ they sup[ply Ham radio gear and other such eletronics, and look at their offerings.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zim'et
Alpha Geek
Member # 2448

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2005 12:01      Profile for Zim'et         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a $9.99 Batman watch from Target. I had it refitted with a leather band recently because the original plastic cracked from too much wear, but I love my watch almost as much as my Bat shoes.

--------------------
3 2 1... Let's Jam

Posts: 254 | From: Montana | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2005 16:56      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wear a cheap Casio Forester. What I like about it is that it is analog (has hands) but has the digitial part on the bottom. I use the stopwatch for cooking on the grill.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2005 17:39      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a Timex. Then I lost it a couple months ago and have been watchless ever since. Strangley enough, I'm about as late as usual.

I might have replaced it sooner, but there's a clock in my lab so I don't have to annoy people by leaning over their shoulders to look at the time on the computer.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2005 18:17      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who needs a watch when you have an iPod ?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2005 19:11      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got an Omega Speedmaster.

It has a Bond laser..

Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2005 20:36      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gave up on wristwatches a long time ago. I never felt comfortable with them, and I was always breaking them in some klutzy move or another. I just carry a pocketwatch now, and all I have to worry about is occasionally catching the chain on something. [Wink]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted March 28, 2005 08:52      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My watch is the best conversation starter. I have a "Think different" watch, rainbow logo on black. It's scratched, I had to change the glass once, the wristband many times, but it goes counterclockwise! [thumbsup]
Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2005 09:46      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
counterclockwise! [thumbsup]

Isn't it ironic that the backwards direction of your watch is referred to as counterclockwise? [Big Grin]
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2005 04:47      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:

Isn't it ironic that the backwards direction of your watch is referred to as counterclockwise? [Big Grin]
Err no, because it is anti-clockwise. [Razz] [Roll Eyes]
(we need a Graemlin for proper english and american english [Wink] )

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2005 05:38      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary:
quote:
quote:

Err no, because it is anti-clockwise. [Razz] [Roll Eyes]
(we need a Graemlin for proper english and american english [Wink] )

I'm Canadian, and I usually use British English; however, I've never even heard of 'anti-clockwise' before.
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2005 05:49      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm Canadian, and I usually use British English; however, I've never even heard of 'anti-clockwise' before.

I'll second Swiss here, we use anti-clockwise as the standard term here in Australia.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2005 05:52      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:

I'll second Swiss here, we use anti-clockwise as the standard term here in Australia.
I wasn't second-guessing the validity -- I'd just never heard of it.
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2005 06:14      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:

I wasn't second-guessing the validity -- I'd just never heard of it.
Let's settle the matter, and say my watch goes trigonometrically! It's more geeky too!

(Didn't I say it is a good conversation starter? [Big Grin] )

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2005 07:46      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I am aware both counterclockwise and anti-clockwise are perfectly valid and here in the UK are used interchangably all the time

If you really want to be smug you could describe its motion as in the "widdershins" direction... or of having an angular velocity of +360 degrees per hour... or backwards...

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2005 08:35      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I once had a watch with Brownian Movement. It wasn't very accurate.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2005 12:56      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:

Oddly enough. You could set your watch to my brownian movement.

Morning + Coffee = Me dropping the Cosby kids off at the pool.

/coat

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2005 13:07      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:

It probably just needed a good hot cup of tea. [Smile]

/me votes for anti-clockwise

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2005 22:37      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't worn a watch in a few years. I tend to be allergic to the metal used in their creation or my skin swelters under plastic or leather bands. [Frown]

I got a cell phone when I graduated from university. It has a digital time screensaver that works quite well as my timekeeper. [Smile]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Danapoppa
Geek
Member # 1555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 09:09      Profile for Danapoppa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a watch that doubles as a cell phone ...

... No, wait, it's the other way around.

Gettin' hard to tell the difference these days. [Wink]

Posts: 237 | From: South of Mt. Fuji | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 12:41      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't worn a watch in so many years I can't even remember what it feels like..

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2005 14:39      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had a Timex Datalink for awhile now...I love it.

The time is synchronized via the USB cable included. I love the other features like custom modes, setting all watch options via the included Datalink program, etc. You can also add/remove/rearrange features like limiting the number of available slots in the stopwatch memory to free up space for more timers or somesuch.

The list price is somewhere around $90. I paid $45 at a local MC Sports that was clearing them out...

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture