homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Web Browser Spoofing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Web Browser Spoofing
macadddikt18
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1082

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2005 07:05      Profile for macadddikt18   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there away, with safari or firefox, to make it appear as IE to a website?

--------------------
Nayt: making interesting posts boring since Jan 02

Posts: 1870 | From: In a world beyond your understanding | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2005 07:15      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did a quick about:config in firefox, and searched for UserAgent -- I changed general.useragent.vendor from Firefox to Chicken and it changed my User-Agent that was sent to the server from:

User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050306 Firefox/1.0.1 (Debian package 1.0.1-2)

to

User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050306 Chicken/1.0.1 (Debian package 1.0.1-2)

Whether you can edit all of those values in about:config to do what you want, and whether or not they'll work in javascript or not, I don't know.

Aswell, a lot of sites do their browser detection client-side with javascript by testing different procedures and methods and seeing if they fail or succeed, and you can't fake that, as it would involve completely changing the client's javascript system.

YMMV.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2005 08:06      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's also an extension for UserAgent that holds about 5 or 6 useragents, and lets you change them in the context menu.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2005 10:56      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nayt,
Yes, there definitely is:
http://www.chrispederick.com/work/firefox/useragentswitcher/

Cheers,
dragon

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rednivek

Member # 1148

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2005 04:38      Profile for Rednivek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For Safari, enable the debug menu which includes the spoofing options.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030110063041629

--------------------
Rednivek - Detroit, Michigan, USA

Posts: 714 | From: Detroit/Windsor | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture