homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » BYOKDM

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BYOKDM
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2005 12:13      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I've seen the pics people have posted of their new mac minis and I'm wondering what people think about keyboards, mice and displays.

Personally I went for a new apple keyboard as I don't think I could function without volume on the keyboard. The monitor was the cheapest I could find when I originally got my cube, and the pointing device is a microsoft explorer trackball, same vintage as the monitor, so both were kept when I upgraded. What is everyone else running with? Interesting keyboard and mouse stories from poor mini-less souls also welcome! [Wink]

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2005 12:55      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, too, went out and bought a new Apple keyboard. The monitor I'm using is my Samsung 192N [19" flat panel] and the mouse is a Logitech trackball.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2005 12:57      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For my BYOPC, I'm using a keyboard and mouse that I pulled out of the trash behind my local Microcenter. Has multimedia keys & works fine, so I'm not sure why they threw it out. Actually, it is easier to type on (and quieter) than the keyboard that I paid Dell $30 for.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2005 13:54      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally I have many Macs of various vintages scattered all around the damn place...

All have Apple ADB or USB KBs of one flavour or another... and all have Apple ONE BUTTON mice (apart from one that has a Kensington ONE BUTTON mouse... that it came with 2nd hand)

I even have a USB only Mac running an ADB KB and mouse via a Belkin adapter (Apple USB KB and mouse would've cost more than I gave for the Mac at that time, now they're priced rather more reasonably... (like 50% of their previous price)

I love the ONE BUTTON mouse... and if you don't then "YOUR ALL GAY!!!!"

Only Apple mouse that SUK is the stupid "hockey puck" original iMac job (universally loathed as even admitted by S. Jobs esq.)

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH ONE BUTTON MICE... They rock!!!

But I guess YMMV

Can you tell that I think Steve is right WRT the ONE BUTTON MOUSE???

BTW is it beacuse as a lefthander I find it easier to mouse with my right hand and use the KB mods with my left?

Also 15+ years of continual Apple KB and mousing have never given me any problems - 15 mins on a multi button job and my hand/wrist starts to hurt... Coincidence, or just my ONE BUTTON MOUSE user's bias???

[Wink]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted February 25, 2005 15:55      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to start from nothing since all I had at home was a laptop. Plenty of used keyboards and mice around work but they were all, you know, crap... I went with a Macally Icekey keyboard and mouse. I've been using two button mice with scroll wheels since I started using Panther and I'll never go back I say, NEVAH! (Why would a manufactuer design an OS that uses two button mice and then produce only a single button flavor? [Confused] ) I also got a Viewsonic vg910s 19" flat panel. This weekend I picked up some JBL creature speakers and now I'm officially out of room on the desk.
Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2005 17:20      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because all you saddos just won't admit that ONE BUTTON MICE are the only One True Way(TM)

YOUR JUST ALL GAY!!!! Alright....

No more needs to be said

(Mod parent down -5 gay) Please don't feed the Trolls

[Big Grin]

No, seriously. Joshing aside, I *really* do like the one/no button Apple mouse... If you feel different - go do it your way: why should I care (cos YOUR ALL GAY [Big Grin] )

[Eek!] [evil] [devil wand] [Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2005 20:50      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm using an white Mac keyboard (wired) and a lovely mac mice 2 button & scroll The Mouse

Don't get me started about screens. Hopefully I'll have some good news by the end of the week [Smile]

Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2005 21:03      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
Personally I went for a new apple keyboard as I don't think I could function without volume on the keyboard.

Actually, I bought a $10 Belkin "multimedia" USB keyboard (the "multimedia" means it has volume keys and quick launch buttons for crap and stuff). The volume keys on the keyboard actually worked on Mom's eMac, to my suprise, and F12 works as an eject key.

So, for you mini buyers out there, save money on buying an Apple branded keybord, just get a USB keyboard with volume buttons on it.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 26, 2005 01:57      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For what it is worth, apple did cut prices quite significantly on peripherals around the time of the mini. You can now get an apple keyboard for 30$. And it is worth it IMHO.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2005 20:17      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We went with the Apple keyboard/mouse with our Mini. We are using the old CRT monitor 17". But I don't like desktops my wife wanted it because she thought it was cute. I'm sticking to the track pad and keyboard built into my iBook.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragon34
Geek
Member # 997

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted February 27, 2005 13:54      Profile for dragon34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rather coincidental that I came across this thread today. I have just finished setting up the sketchy computer setup (of doom!) (which includes 2 daisy chained kvm switches)
I had to daisy chain them because our PC ( a dual boot RedHat/Win2k machine which exists only to view webpages in Windows IE and mess with Linux) absolutely refuses to recognize the keyboard on boot with the 4 port (thrown out into my backpack) kvm switch, so it does the keyboard not found press f11 to continue thing *bangs head into desk* It works fine with the macs. Plans are to hook up my beige g3 (which has been sitting unused in the closet for a year, poor neglected thing) in addition to our 9600 running netbsd and the 400 MHz G4 which was hooked up to the 2 port with the PC. All of our macs will share our 17 inch CRT [Smile] yay!
The keyboard hooked up to the KVM switch is the apple keyboard that came with the G4 with an apple pro mouse replacing the hockey puck that came with it.
Yay for one button mice! (that aren't hockey pucks)
/crawls under the desk with a roll of velcro wire ties to control the horrible cord monster

Posts: 146 | From: Central PA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2005 23:21      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you asked for interesting keyboard and mouse stories, so...

I work with folks who have disability-related computer access problems, so I regularly get to use a wide variety of input and output alternatives with my Mac. In addition to split "ergonomic" keyboards (personal beef: "ergonomic" is often a marketing term akin to "all natural" wrt foods), I use or have used one-handed keyboards, chorded keyboards, onscreen keyboards, handwriting recognition, and speech recognition. For navigation, I switch between all sorts of mouse variations-on-a-theme, trackballs, trackpads, gesture recognition pads, head-operated mice (tracks via IR), foot-operated mice, graphics tablets, and touch screens. (With PCs, I have a few other mousing options such as motion tracking, eye gaze systems, and even one controlled by brain waves!) Monitor surrogates include text-to-speech screen readers and a refreshable Braille display that provides a dynamic Braille output of text, line by line.

All in all, I get to play with some pretty cool toys! [Smile]

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 06:03      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a friend with severe CP, so I've played with some of those toys. His reaction to my reaction to them reminded me of my reaction to others' reactions to the electric wheelchair I sometimes use: "Wait 'till you *need* it before you call it cool, 'cuz there's a hidden dark side [devil wand] that sucks. A lot".

On another note, does Dvorak really help with RSI? I'm thinking about trying to make the switch this summer, my one concern being all my key-mappings in vi and whatnot. [Cool]

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Groggle
Mini Geek
Member # 2360

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 18:52      Profile for Groggle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not a big Mac user (although that may change - I just ordered an iBook).

For the past few years my Keyboard of Choice has been a Microsoft Natural keyboard, and a Logitech Trackman Marble trackball for a rodent. (I hate chasing rodents around my desk)

Right now, there's a lot of really low quality kbds on the market, and only a handful with decent key movements - the Microsoft is one of those. (Premium price though - they're not cheap)

The Natural _has_ helped with the tendonitis in my arms. (But that doesn't imply that it's perfect, either...)

Posts: 77 | From: Calgary | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 19:12      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im using the logitech wireless keyboard and mouse set (the black one to suit my black custom-assembled pc).

The mouse is excellent except for one thing - occasionally it loses recognition of the base station and refuses to respond even while in the docking station.

The keyboard on the other hand is a big step down from the microsoft natural keyboard. The ergonomic design was great and I typed twice as fast as I do now.

Plus, logitech sucks in general. At a LAN party a friend held, all our wireless mice interfered with each other. Also the mouse causes interference with the sound which is really annoying, since I have great speakers and headphones.

Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Groggle
Mini Geek
Member # 2360

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 19:24      Profile for Groggle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still in the land of the corded for both kbd and rodent - but then, trackballs don't need to wander about the desk...
Posts: 77 | From: Calgary | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture