homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » My life is saved in UDF, Help! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: My life is saved in UDF, Help!
WildRose
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3510

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted February 19, 2005 22:09      Profile for WildRose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's right I finally upgraded from WinMe to WinXp. Without knowing the problems it would cause I saved my (what seems) entire life on CDs using Easy CD Creator. And now I can't read the UDF formatted disks in XP.... All I want is to copy off my data, and move on. Is there any hope? [Confused]

Thanks

--------------------
WildRose
dh

Posts: 3 | From: The Boonies, Iowa | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2005 22:22      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can download the UDF reader from the roxio download page. Install that, and you should be able to read your old disks.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twinkle Toes
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2005 22:38      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Danged, TFD beat me to it.

WildRose: I've got WinXP too, and you can always find that kind of information in the Help and Support Center. [Smile]

--------------------
Mmmmrreow!

Posts: 1617 | From: a membrane near you! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2005 18:11      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is my one pet peeve with WinXP - UDF support sucks! On 98 I was able to use a UDF disk just like any other removeable media. A quick right click on the drive to make it reable on non-UDF machines. Bring it back and I could make it "writeable" again and make more changes, with just a little loss of media capacity.

Now I can't seem to ever make a disk usable after having made it readable on non-UDF boxes I can't use the disk again. Maybe I'm just being a little cheap in not wanting to use a new CD every day when moving data around, but it sure is a pain.

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
WildRose
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3510

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted February 20, 2005 19:44      Profile for WildRose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that would be frustrating Doco. I only have this one machine running anymore.

BTW, Huge Hugs and Coudos to The Famous Druid
and Twinkle Toes. I was able to find the downloads I needed and retrieve my data.

I'm not sure I want to continue with Roxio, but just like Doco expressed I did like the functionality of [Razz] Direct CD. [Razz]

--------------------
WildRose
dh

magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2005 20:30      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IAWTPs, but ... I have found that USB Flash drives (aka [Jump|Thumb|Pen|Stick|Gum|Zippo]Drives) are much nicer for non-static data. Less space, true, but the form factor is nicer for carrying in a pocket or wallet, and (in my experience, at least), USB is slightly more prevalent than CD burning (though obviously less prevalent than CD reading).

Actually, my preferred method is to use my USB flash drive to carry several SCP progs with me (one for each platform!) and scp data between my public_html and whatever is local. That way *anything* with a web connection can get the data.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
WildRose
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3510

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted February 20, 2005 21:12      Profile for WildRose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great Idea.... I was just talking to someone about all this today. He's burner isn't working, and has been thinking about what to use in it's place. Besides with my recent drama I too need to have a better plan incase (when) something happens again [ohwell] [Cool]

--------------------
WildRose
dh

GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2005 10:15      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love my memory card reader and cards... small portable and the cards I have are the rize for the palm... And for the digital camera I'll buy when I need a new one or win the lotto.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2005 13:34      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
IAWTPs, but ... I have found that USB Flash drives (aka [Jump|Thumb|Pen|Stick|Gum|Zippo]Drives) are much nicer for non-static data. Less space, true, but the form factor is nicer for carrying in a pocket or wallet,

And if you can afford slightly more meatspace, go for a card reader and standalone card, and get a 1G/2G/4G card. Plenty of room, and you can then add a solid state MP3 player and store music on it as well. Only trouble is when the computer you happen to be using doesn't have USB2, then things are dog slow.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2005 17:06      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or you go to a friends and the USB ports are in back and the box is wedged in so that it takes 45 minutes to get the durn jumpdrive in.

But I carry the docs i'm working on with me to and from the office each day. I used to ftp whenever i went home and again when i went in but the jumpdrive saves the time of ftp-ing. And it's cool when I say "Oh that - that's my hard drive"

Soon we will have 100g solid state computers - no more "hard drives"!

Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2005 19:15      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, and if you actually value security, you'll know better than to FTP files of consequence. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2005 19:34      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Yeah, and if you actually value security, you'll know better than to FTP files of consequence. [Wink]

Well, being a pedant, it's more FTPing on a network where traffic may be intercepted that's a problem.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Twinkle Toes
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted February 21, 2005 20:11      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WildRose:
BTW, Huge Hugs and Coudos to The Famous Druid
and Twinkle Toes. I was able to find the downloads I needed and retrieve my data.

Yaay, glad to hear it. And you're welcome [Smile] .

quote:
Actually, my preferred method is to use my USB flash drive...

I love my USB drive... It's gotten me out of a few assignment troubles, and I feel cool wearing it around my neck. [Big Grin]

Chesty: *glances at his sig* So you're the one! I replied to your comment (dunno if xanga notifies you on that, since it was posted in my blog). Oh, and one more thing: yes, Boohbahs are cute and neat, but the show is crazy! I think that show destroys children's brains.

Go Teletubbies!! La-La is so cute!

--------------------
Mmmmrreow!

Posts: 1617 | From: a membrane near you! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2005 07:00      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
Well, being a pedant, it's more FTPing on a network where traffic may be intercepted that's a problem.

There is a network where it may not be intercepted?? Well - ok - maybe the simple network I have at home isn't sniffable. But anything in even a small business much less anything going through your ISP should be considered sniffable.
Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2005 15:43      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doco:
quote:
Originally posted by csk:

There is a network where it may not be intercepted?? Well - ok - maybe the simple network I have at home isn't sniffable. But anything in even a small business much less anything going through your ISP should be considered sniffable.
Oh, I completely agree. I just think that there is still a place for FTP as long as it is carefully configured and done in a low-risk way (eg on a home network and only allowed from local IP addresses).

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2005 18:00      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know, we have these newfangled protocols called "SFTP" and "SCP", which expand to "Secure File Transfer Protocol" and "Secure Copy Protocol", which are based on SSL.
Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2005 18:07      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Y'know, we have these newfangled protocols called "SFTP" and "SCP", which expand to "Secure File Transfer Protocol" and "Secure Copy Protocol", which are based on SSL.

Yep, I'm well aware of their existence. But they do impose a degree of performance overhead compared to FTP.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2005 20:48      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most clusters that use MPI based software use rcp, fsh, ect. At least inside the cluster. If a place is safe enough to use FTP, then the R-commands should be considered as they have even less overhead. Keep in mind, then you have to beef up the security arround the private network (i.e. the gateway).
Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2005 20:53      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, using rcp/ftp/etc is sort of like wandering around nude. It's liberating and exciting, but you only really want to do it in a trusted environment.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2005 20:58      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like someone's speaking from experience?! [Eek!] [cry baby] [shake head]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2005 21:10      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Sounds like someone's speaking from experience?! [Eek!] [cry baby] [shake head]

Yes, I've been known to use rcp and ftp on secure networks. I confess...

Wandering around nude is confined to my house with all curtains drawn, however. Topless is another story, but for some reason bare male breasts don't seem to arouse too much attention.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2005 18:03      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not so much the bare male breasts... it's about the hair on the chest. It used to be a big deal in the US (maybe it still is) to have hair or not have hair on male chests. I haven't formed a preference except to prefer that men wear their shirts so that I don't have a chance to form a preference before I get married. Then, whether my husband looks like silk or a goat, it won't matter. [Big Grin]

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2005 18:16      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
It's not so much the bare male breasts... it's about the hair on the chest. It used to be a big deal in the US (maybe it still is) to have hair or not have hair on male chests. I haven't formed a preference except to prefer that men wear their shirts so that I don't have a chance to form a preference before I get married. Then, whether my husband looks like silk or a goat, it won't matter. [Big Grin]

I hope you closed your eyes when that Burt Reynolds scene we were discussing in another thread came on, then [Wink]

/prefers hairless female chests

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2005 18:37      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone else think these^^ two^^ should get a room? [evil]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2005 18:44      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No can do, GG. csk doesn't wear shirts and I've ingested too much stuff that "puts hair on your chest."

As if.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture