homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Cassette Tape Repair

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cassette Tape Repair
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted February 10, 2005 18:16      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a 1983 CBS Records release of Jean-Pierre Rampal playing Scott Joplin songs on cassette tape. When I played it a few nights ago, it squeaked and squealed during part of the playback, so I looked at the tape and discovered that not only does the tape itself have sets of lines running across the width of the tape, but the little piece of felt has come loose from the piece of metal behind the tape. What kind of glue or fixative can I use to reapply the little piece of felt?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 18:51      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhonwyyn_______Get some grazy glue, a tooth pick, a small piece of plastic that you can throw away. put a small drop of glue on the plastic then dip the end of the toothpick into the drop, and then put it to the center of the metal spring, then quickly position the felt pad in the center. Hopefully that should cure the loss of the tensioning pad. You may find that the tap is hosed anyway I hope not, as I hate it when I lose some of my valued audio tapes.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 18:54      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And once you've done that, rip it. A 1/8" (walkman) to PC jack is cheap at Radioshack, and then you've got a copy that won't break. The glue won't last forever, after all.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 19:05      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the help, guys. I'll try Mo's suggestion this weekend. I've already ordered a CD copy on Amazon. [Smile]

--------------------

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2005 21:20      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Magefile:

So it IS possible to rip cassette tapes to CD? Won't that take forever 'cause I'll have to play the entire tape while it's being recorded digitally? What kind of program would I use to do that? How do I separate the songs or do I have to do it manually by stopping the tape at the end of each song?

--------------------

hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2005 23:09      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhonwyyn: Recently I transferred a whole bunch of my old demo tapes from cassette to CD with a rather wonderful program called Audacity

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Yes, you do have to play the tapes through in real-time, although that wasn't a big problem for me as I was happy to hear them again anyway...

As for splitting the tracks, I used the Pause button track-by-track and then just trimmed the starts and finishes in Audacity, but there's no reason why you couldn't record a whole side of a tape in one go, then edit the waveform file down from there.

Hope this is of some help; I expect there are other ways to do it, but this worked for me...

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2005 17:35      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the cassette case is damaged in any way but the tape might be salvageable, sacrifice another (less important or blank) tape for the case. With a little bit of care you can take the tape out of the broken case and transplant it to the donor case. Then record it to CD via your computer and put the tape somewhere safe [Smile]

This can also work for video cassettes and floppy disks that have been trodden on [Smile]

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2005 18:35      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I already have Audacity. It's on the Open CD. [Smile] Thanks for reminding me to use it, though.

Zwilnick... that's a great idea about switching out the film/fiche in broken cases. If the superglue trick doesn't work, I'll try that next. [Smile]

--------------------

Saxima
Newbie Larva
Member # 28691

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 14, 2009 23:59      Profile for Saxima     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a riddle I'm hoping someone can help me with:

I am in the process of transferring a rare & precious 1979 cassette tape to digital. I'm using pro Tascam studio equipment - Tascam 322 & a CD-RW402. Before starting the transfer I cleaned and demagnetized the tape heads and installed the tape in a new cassette tape case.

As I'm transferring the tape it is going very well. But about half way through the transfer a squeaking screeching sound is coming through the audio. I stop the tape, put it in the other transport and it plays perfectly, noise free. But after a few minutes the screeching starts slowly again until it is so loud the audio on the tape is not audible.

I tried 3 other tapes in the deck and the problem doesn't happen. Only when I play this tape the screeching sound occurs.

Here's the mystery: the screeching sound is not on the tape. It only occurs when I play the tape 20 minutes or so into the tape at different spots on the tape.

If anybody can enlighten me as to what is happening PLEASE tell me. This is driving me nuts! [crazy]

Posts: 7 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Saxima
Newbie Larva
Member # 28691

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 15, 2009 00:10      Profile for Saxima     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a riddle I'm hoping someone can help me with:

I am in the process of transferring a rare & precious 1979 cassette tape to digital. I'm using pro Tascam studio equipment - Tascam 322 & a CD-RW402. Before starting the transfer I cleaned and demagnetized the tape heads and installed the tape in a new cassette tape case.

As I'm transferring the tape it is going very well. But about half way through the transfer a squeaking screeching sound is coming through the audio. I stop the tape, put it in the other transport and it plays perfectly, noise free. But after a few minutes the screeching starts slowly again until it is so loud the audio on the tape is not audible.

I tried 3 other tapes in the deck and the problem doesn't happen. Only when I play this tape the screeching sound occurs.

Here's the mystery: the screeching sound is not on the tape. It only occurs when I play the tape 20 minutes or so into the tape at different spots on the tape.

If anybody can enlighten me as to what is happening PLEASE tell me. This is driving me nuts! [crazy]

Posts: 7 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted August 15, 2009 00:48      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saxima, I think your tape is stuck in a loop and posting the same question to every thread on Geek Culture [thumbsdown]
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture