homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Mac OS 10.3.8

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mac OS 10.3.8
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 12:17      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apple release point upgrade to OS X... World continues to turn... Shock horror outrage...

Anyone else upgraded? Can't say I've noticed any real difference, good or bad... *Maybe* things seem to open a little quicker (Finder, Safari, Mail, etc), but as I've never benchmarked this machine I can't say definitively...

Only thing that did grumble was (what else?) M$N Messenger which sulked, pouted and stamped its feet; wouldn't let me sign in until I upgraded from v4 to 4.0.1...

fsck came up clean as you like, no big deals found by Disk Futility/ Repair Permissions...

Oh well, as you were...
;-)

--EDIT--
Upgraded post title from "Mac OS 10.2.8" to "Mac OS 10.3.8"; and a tip of the hat to MMK for keen powers of observation!

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 12:33      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd had problems with network timeouts on the older iMac (400Mhz G3) since I installed the previous upgrade. These now seem to be fixed.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 12:43      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey-U: surely you mean 10.3.8, not 10.2.8, right?

I upgraded last night, as soon as it was available. I've seen no problems nor anything at all different.

/me shrugs

I guess this means we only have one more update until we have to shell out the big bux for Pussycat or whatever it's called.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 13:02      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
hey-U: surely you mean 10.3.8, not 10.2.8, right?

You're absolutely right! Well spotted, bro! What *was* I thinking? (scurries off to edit original post)

quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
I guess this means we only have one more update until we have to shell out the big bux for Pussycat or whatever it's called.

The time scale is the interesting thing, it's been, what, 6? 7? weeks since 10.3.7, so are we going to have nice new catskin coats before the summer? Or will 10.3.8 have to last us for months and months? :-( Want new toys now!
Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 14:07      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoa, hey-U. Mag. valour for actually fixing the title of a thread. I think you're the first person in *months* to do that, regardless of the pokes and hot poker jabbings given to others. Way to go! [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted February 10, 2005 15:13      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am waiting for tiger to be released before I buy a mini [Big Grin]

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 15:27      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd gladly release my tiger for you.....and it ain't no mini. [Big Grin]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 15:50      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do you need a released tiger to get you to buy a Mini?

If you want the damn car and can pay for it just buy it!!!

Anyway - Esso (Exxon for colonials) gave up advertising the "put a tiger in your tank" 20 years ago or more... Long before the new Mini was even dreamed of...

(Oh sorry got hold of the wrong end of the stick methinks...)

[evil] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 16:35      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:
Why do you need a released tiger to get you to buy a Mini?

If you want the damn car and can pay for it just buy it!!!

Anyway - Esso (Exxon for colonials) gave up advertising the "put a tiger in your tank" 20 years ago or more... Long before the new Mini was even dreamed of...

(Oh sorry got hold of the wrong end of the stick methinks...)

[evil] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

Smartass. [Wink]
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 16:40      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No!

Really?

Are you sure DNM

Bugger?

Didn't think anyone would notice...

(Hey that enough one sentence paragraphs for everyone...???)

[Big Grin] [evil] [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 18:01      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MTB Babe wrote
quote:
I am waiting for tiger to be released before I buy a mini
Thought about that myself, couldn't wait. I was here last night setting up the new mini. Just finished transfering all my files from the iBook and went to software update to tie up loose ends and Bang! 10.3.8 is out. Put it on the iBook (g3/600) and so far so good. No real changes but browsing in safari may be a bit faster. I'll hold off a couple more days before I put it on the mini.
Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 22:16      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hey-U:

Only thing that did grumble was (what else?) M$N Messenger which sulked, pouted and stamped its feet; wouldn't let me sign in until I upgraded from v4 to 4.0.1...

That had nothing to do with the os update, I got the same thing yesterday and I'm still on 10.2.8. Bad form of M$N to demand users update or else. [shake head]
Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2005 04:52      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'll hold off a couple more days before I put it on the mini.
I can tell you that it didn't kill my mini.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2005 05:52      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
quote:
I'll hold off a couple more days before I put it on the mini.
I can tell you that it didn't kill my mini.
Nor mine.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2005 18:54      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok done. Had to crack the case to install the 1g ram I got today so after that was done I updated and got a security update to boot! Everything clippin' along just fine.
Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2005 19:41      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MTB Babe:
I am waiting for tiger to be released before I buy a mini [Big Grin]

MTB in a mini .....

#include <obligatory-picture-request.h>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture