homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Could this be a revolution?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Could this be a revolution?
Wolfman
Mini Geek
Member # 3434

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted February 09, 2005 16:19      Profile for Wolfman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today I experienced something that never has before for any geek/techno/electronics/person been experienced. I had an enjoyable time at a BestBuy. Yes you heard me correctly. They had an attentive and helpful staff. The repair technician actually knew what he was talking about. and the general employees weren't teenaged idiots trying to shove you into a purchase, they were polite and genuinely helpful.

We can only hope for a revolution, that we may bring back the awesomeness of all that expensive crap they sell, and not be pestered by idiotic employees.

Any comments?

Wolfman

--------------------
Sincerely,
The Wolfman

LOST: One Grip (fits my reality)

Posts: 83 | From: North side of the House, Middle of Town, Middle of Kansas, USA, Earth | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2005 16:48      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a one off. Like that time I called Comcast because I was having trouble with one of my ports, and the guy said, "hmm. Let me pull up nmap here - yeah, it looks like that's our fault. Let me unblock that port for you."
Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2005 17:27      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sheesh.

Are we sure some sort of "nice" virus isn't sweeping the globe (oh please yes...) After a year of arguing, haggling, grief, tears, sweat, blood, tears, etc and finally resorting to the Energy Watch Ombudsman (last line of consumer complaints here in UK) my previous gas/electric utility were forced to write me a very *grovelling* letter admitting that the whole year long fubar was their fault and as "goodwill" my supposed account with them (which never should have existed as they claimed to be unable to suppy my current property...) has been waived and very SORRY for any inconvenience...

Maybe there is a "decency" virus sweeping the world population...

P.S. Just watched an interesting program postulating a possible "obesity" virus...

Early days but some evidence showed very interesting and apparently supportable correlations, it is TV remember! (No - they didn't claim that it was responsible for every obese persons' problems just that if their theory is true anyone infected with the "obesity virus" would effectively become vastly more prone to weight gain regardless of previous history and genetic predisposition...)

Poo Poo'd by the establishment (but so was gastic ulcers caused by germ...) Made reasonable viewing if nothing else...

TTFN

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2005 18:14      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did that show include gratuitous shots of obese people's backsides? Those shows always do. [ohwell]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2005 19:10      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best Buy sounds very much like our Harvey Normans.

Here we have sales staff with greased back hair telling me that its illegal to download linux from the internet.

Also, that a geforce 4 MX is lightning fast (december 2004).

Plus, they have a profit margin of at least 100%.

Case in point: My 150W TDK speakers i bought for 120 AUD. Harvey Norman had the 80W version on sale for 220 AUD.

Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2005 20:20      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Canada's Best Buy was Future Shop for the longest time.

Then we got Best Buy too... and they're side by side in an abnormally high number of places (I think they're related/co-owned/run by the same people or something...)

I generally only go there to pick one particular item up, and I know what I'm getting, just because they have the lowest price on it or something. I go in, I locate it, I take it to the cash, I pay for it, I leave. I don't give them the chance to try and sell me anything for fear of creating new crevices in their nether regions.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2005 21:09      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like a little more concrete evidence, Wolfman. Just where and when did this alleged incident of competence on the part of BestBuy staffers occur?

After all, there have been years and years and millions and millions of less than positive experiences at the hands of those folks...

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pezz
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3436

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted February 09, 2005 22:45      Profile for Pezz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This, my newly acquired cohorts, is a freak of nature. Of course you must imagine the motivation behind this mutation. As the economic perspective falls, more and more highly educated persons are overpopulating the suck "asp" jobs. This is caused by the desire to maintain current lifestyle, (a.k.a. Pay the bills) and thus middle class individuals are taking on second jobs. I predict that by the year 2058 Master level technicians will be manning the workforce in your local Best Buy, Office Max, <Insert fave bloated pricing tech store here> etc.... As the rich get even richer, they require more and more "little people" to hold them,(and our money) upon our shoulders.
Wolfman
Mini Geek
Member # 3434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 09:11      Profile for Wolfman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It happened at the store location of Tulsa, Oklahoma. Im not exactly sure if it will ever happen again. Im beginning to think it may have something to do with the time I was there. about One pm. so everybody was an adult because all the little pricks were in school like they should be. If this is true then all Best Buy locations should be avoided at ALL COSTS during the summer months.

Wolfman

Posts: 83 | From: North side of the House, Middle of Town, Middle of Kansas, USA, Earth | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 11:10      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing I like about best buy is that their collection of DVDs priced under $10 continues to grow.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
orion
Geek
Member # 3439

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 09:12      Profile for orion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, to all the americans here, I can only say:
Your lucky you dont have to deal with the staff at PC world. worst service ever. ever. ever. and ever. :-)

Posts: 123 | From: cambridge, england | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 09:26      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Conan O'Brien:

"In the year 2000...."

"A man will go to best buy and get a best buy..."
"A man will go to staples and get staples..."
"A man will go to taco bell, and get diarrhea."

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
orion
Geek
Member # 3439

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 09:36      Profile for orion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well anyway, at least we don't have compUSA in the UK. I hear they are pretty poor.
Posts: 123 | From: cambridge, england | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zim'et
Alpha Geek
Member # 2448

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 18:17      Profile for Zim'et         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quite a few of my friends work at Best Buy, either selling or repairing computers, so I always have a great time when I go in there. Good prices on CDs too.

--------------------
3 2 1... Let's Jam

Posts: 254 | From: Montana | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Twinkle Toes
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted February 19, 2005 00:57      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pezz:
This, my newly acquired cohorts, is a freak of nature. Of course you must imagine the motivation behind this mutation. As the economic perspective falls, more and more highly educated persons are overpopulating the suck "asp" jobs. This is caused by the desire to maintain current lifestyle, (a.k.a. Pay the bills) and thus middle class individuals are taking on second jobs. I predict that by the year 2058 Master level technicians will be manning the workforce in your local Best Buy, Office Max, <Insert fave bloated pricing tech store here> etc.... As the rich get even richer, they require more and more "little people" to hold them,(and our money) upon our shoulders.

I have no idea why that cracked me up, but great job! [thumbsup] Nice starter post. Welcome to the Forums.

quote:
Originally posted by orion:well anyway, at least we don't have compUSA in the UK. I hear they are pretty poor.
Everyone says that, but I like the ones we have here in Washington. I relate to our techies really well,.. and they're just so nice!

As for this whole BestBuy business: I'll just take everyone's word on their [usually] poor service quality. I've never been to one; I stick to my regular (mentioned above), which I guess has proven quite beneficial.

Posts: 1617 | From: a membrane near you! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture