homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » An MP3 player question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: An MP3 player question
Shadira
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3205

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2005 15:27      Profile for Shadira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, it's me again with another question that I can't figure out. I am not very good with electronics. My boyfriend bought an MP3 player (a DFP70/DFP72 Digital Audio Player, the newest one from Napster with 128 MB). I have windows 98 SE and the manual says, word for word:
"Windows 98 SE does not support the included Napster software, but Windows 98 SE will support the unit after driver installation. Please visit our website www.avctechnology.com to download the driver and installation instructions."
I went there, but when I downloaded the driver, I did not open it as a zip file and accidentally opened it as a blank window and now every time I try to download it again, it will not work!!! It's very frustrating. I have no idea how to save it as a zip file now that it automatically tries to open itself as a blank window. Any one have any ideas? (other than to stay very far away from electronics?)

Posts: 11 | From: San Bernardino, CA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
n4dmx
Geek
Member # 3177

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2005 15:44      Profile for n4dmx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right click the link --> save target as (IE)
save link as (Firefox/Mozilla)

[Wink]

Posts: 218 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Shadira
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3205

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2005 17:35      Profile for Shadira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by n4dmx:
Right click the link --> save target as (IE)
save link as (Firefox/Mozilla)

[Wink]

I don't have those save options. [Frown] I do not know those programs. Sorry. I can now get to the point where when I try to copy the music from my Windows Media Player that it tells me that there are no devices connected. Any ideas?
Posts: 11 | From: San Bernardino, CA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
n4dmx
Geek
Member # 3177

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2005 22:17      Profile for n4dmx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you get the drivers for the player?

If the driver is installed, the player should show up as a removable disk drive in windows explorer.

Then, if media player still cannot recognize it, you could transfer the files manually through explorer.

BTW, what browser are you using? I just assumed you used either internet explorer or firefox/mozilla, as they are the most common on windows machines.

I am now thinking that you might be using something like AOL with it's own browser integration. [shake head]

In any case, you may want to consider an upgrade, and possibly a new ISP. [Smile]

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2005 05:51      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have set the default to open in IE (or whatever browser you commonly use) Try this.

Open a folder, any folder that you want. Across the top bar select "tools" the "folder options." This will bring up a new menu.

In this new menu find a tab that says "file types" and scroll through that until you find "ZIP." Double click on that and it will bring its options up. More than likely it will show that it opens in IE(or whatever) you can change the way Windows treats the file from there. You may have to fiddle a bit with the settings. Set it up to open with WinZip, or whatever program you might use. But that should clear up your problem.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2005 09:16      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I am now thinking that you might be using something like AOL with it's own browser integration. [shake head]

<grammar-nazi>
There's no apostrophe in the possessive form of its.
</grammar-nazi>

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
n4dmx
Geek
Member # 3177

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2005 09:54      Profile for n4dmx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:

<grammar-nazi>
There's no apostrophe in the possessive form of its.
</grammar-nazi>

Oops!

heh... sorry [Big Grin]

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture