homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Code 39 barcode help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Code 39 barcode help
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted January 26, 2005 08:02      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am hoping someone out there can help me on this.

Is it possible to create a barcode to exact an "Alt" command ie "Alt+C", "Alt+S", etc. I was told it could be done. I am having the most aggravating time trying to do it though.

Please, help. Please?</grovel>

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2459 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Avi Drissman
Geek
Member # 122

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2005 08:34      Profile for Avi Drissman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Is it possible to create a barcode to exact an "Alt" command ie "Alt+C", "Alt+S", etc.
I'm not quite sure what you mean. A barcode contains data, not keystrokes.

If you mean that you want such a barcode to cause such keystrokes when scanned in by a reader, you're out of luck. Code 39 just has letters and a smattering of punctuation.

It might be possible if your reader's company put in some proprietary coding to allow for it, but I don't see how this could work in the general case.

Avi

Posts: 169 | From: Oak Park, MI USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2005 08:46      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is what I am afraid of. From what I am reading on 3 of 9 extended it can execute commands. $A in code 39 = F1 key. And so forth. So what I was hoping for was a key combo that could pull off an "alt" key combo.

Sorry I should have said 3 of 9 extended.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2459 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Avi Drissman
Geek
Member # 122

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2005 10:13      Profile for Avi Drissman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to http://www.bizfonts.com/code39font/extcode39.htm#Full , $A is ASCII 0x01. If that triggers an F1 keystroke in your reader, then it's your reader that treats it specially. I'd recommend reading your reader's manual to determine what its behavior is, and if you can change it.
Posts: 169 | From: Oak Park, MI USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Doug
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3193

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2005 22:03      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3 of 9 is one of the simplist bar codes out there so play with it. Remember that each one starts and ends with a *
There are better codes that readers will read that will do what you want. If you can't find something, you could setup a macro for the combo and assign it to a key that you can scan.

--------------------
Get a Free Mac Mini

Posts: 10 | From: SLO, CA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
N9IWP
Geek
Member # 1229

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2005 12:34      Profile for N9IWP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ASCII 01 is control-A, not Alt-A.
The barcode readers I've seen emulate a keyboard, and so scanning $M which goes to ASCII 13(decimal) WILL emulate hitting the enter key.

I don't THINK Alt-whatever has an ASCII code.

But if your program has control commands, you can to those.

Also, if you have access to the program's source code, you can do anything. The Library apps I worked on had special strings for checkout, checkin, renew, etc. These were given special strings beginning with (IIRC) "CMD". So checkout may be "CMD01". The program would look for these strings and perform the command. (If you wanted to, you could type in the special string, but they weren't documented for the public and there were easier ways if you were at the keybaord. - main use was for programmers to show off / test commands without having barcode reader)

Of couse, this means that these strings were unavailable for books / patrons , but we lived with that. (I think books could only have numeric barcodes, patrons could have a leading "P")

Brian

Posts: 181 | From: Southeast MN | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2005 13:39      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Brian,

I am having a hella time trying to find such a command. The Alt key is not supported from what I see. I am trying to find a workaround. But at this point I have placed it on the backburner. I may have to fiddle with the apps themselves.

Sounds like you have had a bit of hands on work with Follett apps. The commands that you mentioned are ones we use for our library apps.

If I find something I'll post what I did. Just for a bit of closure. And if someone finds a way to do what I need, let me know.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

N9IWP
Geek
Member # 1229

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2005 16:21      Profile for N9IWP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I worked for Follett's arch-rival Winnebago Software (now Sagebrush). Before they fired everybody [Frown]

Brian

Posts: 181 | From: Southeast MN | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture