homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Question for the Druid (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Question for the Druid
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2005 15:44      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would that be approximately 117 or *exactly* 117 people dying (dieing, dyeing) from horsekick?

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2005 15:50      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And how many people sustained horsekick injuries but died at a later date and place either from the injuries or non-related causes?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2005 15:57      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
Would that be approximately 117 or *exactly* 117 people dying (dieing, dyeing) from horsekick?

That would be "approximately", as in "a number I made up".

In the interests of scientific accuracy, I went a-googling, and the actual numbers were 122 over 200 years.

"Why is such a figure readily obtainable on the internet?" I hear you cry.

Well, turns out the distribution of deaths almost exactly fits the poisson distribution, and is one of the classic examples statistics-geeks go on and on about.

quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
And how many people sustained horsekick injuries but died at a later date and place either from the injuries or non-related causes?

Well, given that the Prussian cavalry was disbanded quite some time ago, I'd say "all of them".

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10670 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2005 16:09      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
That would be "approximately", as in "a number I made up".

This is Great, the best kind of facts to have - fresh! [Razz]

quote:

Well, given that the Prussian cavalry was disbanded quite some time ago, I'd say "all of them". [/QB][/QUOTE]

Another "dead" thread?
[shake head]

--------------------

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2005 16:12      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we're resurrecting the Q&A threads?

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2005 16:13      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, this thread is reminding me of some interesting conversations with my ex when she worked in the statistics section for the roads and traffic authority here. They had some interesting situations crop up, as you can imagine. Unfortunately, I can't remember any of them right now.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2005 16:27      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well, turns out the distribution of deaths almost exactly fits the poisson distribution,

Poisson? Like fish? I don't get it. [Frown]

/me never took statistics

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2005 16:32      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nah, weren't Poisson that great hair metal band?

Don't need nothing, but a good time!

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2005 17:02      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
quote:
Well, turns out the distribution of deaths almost exactly fits the poisson distribution,

Poisson? Like fish? I don't get it. [Frown]

/me never took statistics

So named because the stats geek (a frenchie - like many of the pioneers in statistics) who named it thought the graph looked like a fish. (or so my high school maths teacher claimed, but he was as much of a BS artist as I am)

It's the distribution you use to predict how many very unlikely things will happen in a given time period. For example, in a weekly 'ball draw' lottery, if each entry has a 1/1,000,000 chance of winning, and you sell 10 million tickets per game, how many winners would you expect?

It's easy enough to say you'd expect an average of 10 winners, but what's the probability of no-one winning? What's the probability of getting 20 winners? The poisson distribution will tell you.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 17:06      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Nother Question for TFD:
(based on the below quotes)
quote:
Well, turns out the distribution of deaths almost exactly fits the poisson distribution, So named because the stats geek (a frenchie - like many of the pioneers in statistics) who named it thought the graph looked like a fish. (or so my high school maths teacher claimed, but he was as much of a BS artist as I am)

It's the distribution you use to predict how many very unlikely things will happen in a given time period. For example, in a weekly 'ball draw' lottery, if each entry has a 1/1,000,000 chance of winning, and you sell 10 million tickets per game, how many winners would you expect?

Okay, Druid, I think I'm with you so far on this
Poisson distribution. But do you suppose we can use it to predict how many fish, (or how many Frenchman for that matter), died as a result of horsekick during the recent American Presidential campaign and election? And if not, would you be willing to "originate" a factual number that could be leaked to the news media? [Geek]

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 17:13      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
do you suppose we can use it to predict how many fish, (or how many Frenchman for that matter), died as a result of horsekick during the recent American Presidential campaign and election? And if not, would you be willing to "originate" a factual number that could be leaked to the news media? [Geek]

Not a lot of horse kicks in the last presidential campaign, but one of the candidates was a real horses arse.

--------------------

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 18:40      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Not a lot of horse kicks in the last presidential campaign, but one of the candidates was a real horses arse.

I counted at least two in that category. It seems to be what we do here, our new national sport - electing villians.

--------------------

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 18:41      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmm, and here I thought we elected villains [Razz]

--------------------

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 18:52      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
hmm, and here I thought we elected villains [Razz]

Don't you mean muderers?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 19:06      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope. Just poking fun at GG's misspelling. [Smile]

--------------------

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 21:45      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D'oh!

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 22:04      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry folks, but somehow, dying from 'horsekick' brings a totally different thought to mind (certainly seems different from the current conversation, anyway).

Probably NSFW:
http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=617879

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 22:08      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh, the good old days of dman and I trying to outdo each other with bizarre everything2 links.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 22:09      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, dman.....I am both impressed and horrified that you would post such a link [Wink]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 22:11      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
Wow, dman.....I am both impressed and horrified that you would post such a link [Wink]

Psst, Capn, if you want to know what to do when a dolphin is rubbing itself up against you in the water, have I got an everything2 link for you [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 22:16      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shut your blowhole [Wink] [Big Grin]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 22:22      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Were you rude to me on porpoise? [Razz]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 22:29      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Sorry folks, but somehow, dying from 'horsekick' brings a totally different thought to mind (certainly seems different from the current conversation, anyway).

Probably NSFW:
http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=617879

Wow! That gives a whole new meaning (and hefty visual image) to the term "horsekick". I'll have to warn the rangers damned quick! [Eek!]

--------------------

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2005 08:32      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
Were you rude to me on porpoise? [Razz]

Whale, maybe. Sorry.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2005 12:03      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I looked up porpoises on dictionary.com and I found it very intresting. Click here It comes from German and means "Sea pig" or "Sea hog"

So to you all I say Stop being a bunch of Sea Hogs

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture