homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Free (beer & speech) MP3's?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Free (beer & speech) MP3's?
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2004 00:58      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was watching a program about Beethoven on the telly the other day and thought I'd get some of his tunes. Now I'm pretty sure his work is out of copyright and therefore public domain. Googling led me to many pages with dead links, so I was wondering if any of you knew of any sites where I could download some free (as in beer and as in speech) tunes.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2004 01:09      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
free mp3 downloads @ amazon.com. Their search shows 36 hits for Beethoven.

They do ask you to sign in, so you'll need an amazon account to access downloads.

Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2004 01:54      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. Not all are actually Beethoven, and it seems to be lacking the symphonies. I want the stuff that gets Alex and his droogs ready for some ultraviolence.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2004 07:38      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem here is although Beethoven's work is now in the public domain, the intepretations are not necessarily.

Anyway, I'd say go and buy a good CD set of the symphonies - they are definitely better enjoyed when sitting in the best chair of the house, on a good audio system filling the room with the beauty of this master's music. Call it the "Total Beethoven Submersion". Altough computer (and I would guess mp3 readers) would be fine, it's just not as great. And you can still rip the mp3 from the CDs (and control the quality of the output).

/sings: Freude, schoener Goetterfunken, Tochter aus Elysium...

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
R0x0r_G0dd3ss
Geek-in-Training
Member # 3041

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2004 09:44      Profile for R0x0r_G0dd3ss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
Hmm. Not all are actually Beethoven, and it seems to be lacking the symphonies. I want the stuff that gets Alex and his droogs ready for some ultraviolence.

Thanks for that. I love that movie. Much appriciated reference for my tiredness....
Wow. That wasn't even close to English.

--------------------
Ph33r my l337 n3kk1d skillz!!!

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2004 11:11      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:

Ah yes, you want the Ninth. With a nice tall glass of milk.

Beethoven's Ninth got Alex and Co. pumped up, yet strangely enough it puts me to sleep.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture