homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Mac Names

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mac Names
westerhive
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3103

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2004 09:26      Profile for westerhive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys, this may seem dumb, but can anyone help me edit/change my iBooks computer name!?
Posts: 2 | From: NYC | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2004 09:34      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure. Just send it to me [Big Grin]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2004 09:59      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a special ceremony
It can only happen once a moon, and inolves sacrificing scantilly-clad young virgin females.

After the ceremony, they all open the "Sharing" preference pane and change their names, to prevent others from figuring out who they are.

If they're too clueless to figure this out, they might refer to their libraries of knowledge

hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2004 12:22      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 'how to' is much less interesting than the 'what to'...

Anthropomorphosis ahoy!

-

What's yours called?

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2004 13:10      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Answer the poor newbie!
It's in the sharing pane of system preferences (asssuming you are running panther).

quote:
What's yours called?
My machine is toaster (it's a cube) my ipod is called ipod.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted November 26, 2004 09:18      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow ! Great work littlefish !

For what it's worth: Google works only if you know the technical terms of what you're searching for, otherwise you get a lot of irrelevant pages. One of my favorite ways to get info is to go to Borders or Barnes & Noble's (Bookstores), hang out, and read through the books. They put nearly every library to shame.

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted November 26, 2004 10:44      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ASM65816:
One of my favorite ways to get info is to go to Borders or Barnes & Noble's (Bookstores), hang out, and read through the books. They put nearly every library to shame.

This is how I often end up broke [cry baby]

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2004 12:49      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The G4 in my lab is Xylose. The poor, beat-up little iMac is Glucose. The PC is Mannose. No idea what the boss's iBook is called. This was in response to lab next door, who named their machines after amino acids.

I think we should have used nucleic acid bases but this was all before I joined the lab.

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2004 13:02      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ASM65816:
Wow ! Great work littlefish !

For what it's worth: Google works only if you know the technical terms of what you're searching for, otherwise you get a lot of irrelevant pages. One of my favorite ways to get info is to go to Borders or Barnes & Noble's (Bookstores), hang out, and read through the books. They put nearly every library to shame.

I bet all the books you read have yellow covers. Perhaps you should check this one out:

-

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
westerhive
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3103

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted November 26, 2004 15:27      Profile for westerhive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you very much littlefish [crazy]
Posts: 2 | From: NYC | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted November 26, 2004 16:49      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, dear...

Now I am gonna have to 'fess up...

Over the last 5 (or maybe more) iterations of Macs I have owned/worked on the main drive/partition (OS and apps) is "Nigel Mansell", fonts have usually lived in their own "Ayrton Senna" drive/partition (no longer so, since the smallest partition my G5 will allow on the hard drives installed is 10GB - even my 10k plus fonts only take up 500Mb..) Ayrton is now where I keep a clone of my last "known good state" Nigel Mansell (at work at least...)

Mikka Häkkinen is where my current files live and "Alain Prost" is usually (basically) a mirror of that plus a folder of installers, updates, patches, etc.

Depending on the machine and the exact number of physical drives and capacities there may also be "Nikki Lauda" (for obscure stuff) and "Lucy" for my private/personal stuff (like my RPG writings, family letters, family snapshots, etc.)

I have maintained this system over many Macs both work and home and through a number of career job shifts... (in my line you rarely work in teams of more than 4, and in my case mostly 2 or 3, and a "man's Mac is his castle"

Usually I have managed to maintain the Mansell, Senna, Prost, Häkkinen arrangement either with external drives or by logical partitioning of internals.. Either way I am endlessly amazed at how freaked people are to see multiple drives (each with appropriate icon) appear on the desktop (Where's My Computer/C: drive?)

Maybe it is a Mac thing but when I do Wintel boxes I just have to create HD shortcuts on the desktop to all the attached drives/partitions and give them proper names...

Not sure why am actually bothering to type all this as I doubt anyone actually gives a monkey's.... but the geek in me just has to shout it out

MAC IS BEST and OS X ROCKS

There, it is out and I'm proud of it...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1935 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2004 18:19      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, as a Mercenary, my main drive is my 'Guildhouse'.

Serenak, how can you forget Fangio? [shake head] [Wink]

At least you do not have a Alesi as it would crash all the time. [Big Grin]

Or a Schumacher as it would never let any of the others get a look in. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Alan!
Geek
Member # 1261

Icon 10 posted November 27, 2004 01:52      Profile for Alan!     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
meh, i haven't posted for a while, so what the hey; my names are based on http://homestarrunner.com

my tower is STRONGBAD
my shuttle is POMPOM
bubblejet printer is BUBS (of course)
my 12" powerbook is THECHEAT

now i'm just waiting for that G5 powerbook, STRONGMAD!

--------------------
Alan!

Two rabbis, a priest, and an awkward silence after there's no intelligible punch line to this joke, walk into a bar.

Posts: 219 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted November 27, 2004 07:53      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
The PC is Mannose. No idea what the boss's iBook is called.

I want to say it should be called "Hands of Fate", just to go along with the name of the PC. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 27, 2004 12:24      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The PCs in casa del Druid all have a megalithic theme, Stonehenge, Callanish, Cuzco...

So the mac, naturally, got called MachuPicchu

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 27, 2004 15:12      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very good TFD...

On another point, Fangio, Surtees, Brabham, Moss, Stewart, Hill (Graham and Damon), Hunt and many, many others... How many disks and partitions can a man really handle? Add to that I chose names that were current when I first did it (or probably big reasonably prior to when I did it...) Secondly I had a disk (off a mag front i think) with many "current" and reasonably "recent" driver's helmet icons, so I chose names I knew in conjunction with helmet designs that looked good on the desktop...

Great driver/naff helmet design=no go! Minor driver/great design=possible...

[Smile]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1935 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 28, 2004 12:09      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have enought computers to warrant naming them yet. [cry baby]

The new laptop, though, is colloquially called "The Precious", seeing as it was my birthday present...

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2004 06:55      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We don't really name our computers. We call them by what they are.

The Gateway Is The Gateway
My wifes Computer that I built is called The AMD (It has an Athlon in it)
The iBook is called iBook
The 3400c Power Book is called the Thirtyfour hundred
The 5400 is called The fiftyfour hundred
The SuSe box I made out of spare parts is called the Linux box.

I know not very intresting. I gusss we are just not very creative. When I get a G5 power book (I wish they would hurry up with that) We will probably call it "The power book" since our last power book got the name of the model number it will still be free to use. I check the rumor sites all the time and still have not seen anything about the Powerbook G5. I think the next one comming out is going to be a Dual Core G4. They still can't solve the heat issue

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2004 07:45      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found this picture of the PowerBook G5

-

hehe. I would still buy one.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
R0x0r_G0dd3ss
Geek-in-Training
Member # 3041

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2004 09:51      Profile for R0x0r_G0dd3ss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine are:
Niji (rainbow), "The Core" (because it's a rather ancient Apple...so it's not the Apple...it's the...*fill in blanks*), Hoshi(star) and Tsuki(moon), Chie (wisdom), and Silver. I'm such a girl.

--------------------
Ph33r my l337 n3kk1d skillz!!!

Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 12, 2004 23:02      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hey-U:
What's yours called?

Mine's named Grigory, after the mad monk Rasputin. After all, it's a sex machine, and after all the abuse I've put it through, it's astounding that it isn't dead yet.

Oh sweet Odin, I'm a dork. [Roll Eyes]

Shinaku
Alpha Geek
Member # 2027

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2004 11:10      Profile for Shinaku   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! Long time no post =D

My main PC is called Ikari - after Shinji Ikari from the Neon Genesis Evangelion anime.

The server (which is currently down at Ekimi's house) is called Ayanami.

The Powermac 7300/200, which I have never actully turned on since I bought it second hand... anything could be on it [Wink] ) is called Misato

My IBM Thinkpad is called Craptop

and last, but not least, my router b0x is called Lemming, not sure why, I just wanted a pet Lemming when I was naming it [Wink]

Posts: 312 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2004 20:43      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i gues i fall into the "didn't really put that much thought into naming the computers" category

Digibook
Athlon
Duron
and the printer - 820c

all my creativity went into the latest brochure for my company - after 15,000 of them show up in the office every body says, "looks great, You mispelled Myrtle Beach"

and no they aren't macs
the macs are at work and are called
g3
g4
frontimac
backimac

Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2004 22:52      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chesty:
all my creativity went into the latest brochure for my company - after 15,000 of them show up in the office every body says, "looks great, You mispelled Myrtle Beach"

If it makes you feel any better....

Some years ago I was working for National Westminster Bank in London. They were in one of those "fix the problems by changing the logo" phases that most big companies go through at one time or another, so for weeks we were getting regular emails reminding that us that a new logo was coming soon, and all documents which had the company logo were to link to a central file on the network, so that when the new logo came out, every document would get the new logo automagically.

On the big day, truckloads of new stationery was delivered, everyone got new business cards, letterheads, desk diaries, etc, all based on a single image file, and all emblazoned with "National Westminister Bank".

Millions of quid worth of brand new stationery got pulped.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture