homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Playing DDR without being a pest

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Playing DDR without being a pest
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 07:29      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I've got the console, the game and the dance pad, and I've started playing. Whole lot of fun, except that I am considerate for the neighbor living on the floor below mine, and she hears me banging on the mat trying to dance.

So my question is: do any of you can recommand a way to reduce/absorb the impacts? What should I look for in an anti-vibe mat? Any product easily available? Or will it require some building in order to reduce the sound to walking level?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I really enjoy playing it, yet would even more if I could get rid of the guilt from annoying the neighbor.

Thanks.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 07:31      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, my bizarre train of thought tells me that Zorro might have come across this sort of problem in a slightly different guise before. I'd be interested in what possible solutions people come up with.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 08:01      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try putting the pad in a doorway. There is usually more support under doors. and throw some rugs down. The rugs should dampen it enought as long as you put 4 or 5 down. Unless you are actually jumping up and down on it. But then it may make it too soft in that case it would be hard to use do to sinking. A way around that would be a couple of rug with a piece of plywood on top.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mike M
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3100

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 08:54      Profile for Mike M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The one problem with doorways is most are too narrow for a DDR pad :/ It's a good idea though if you can find one wide enough.

I've only got upstairs neighbors, but I'm not on the ground floor, so my DDR jumping around tends to shake the wall by the TV. I've noticed there are a few songs that require a lot more 2-foot jumps than others. I'm going to try to make a list of songs that noticably shake the walls and avoid those when I play at 1 a.m.

I really like the carpet/rug idea. I'm going to have to pick up some carpet slabs and give that a try.

--------------------
Mike

"Everyone dies frustrated and sad, and that is beautiful." - Don't Let's Start - They Might Be Giants

Posts: 17 | From: Rochester, MN | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 08:55      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
interlocking foam mats from Home Depot.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Q
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3084

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 10:57      Profile for Q   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you dont have to many rugs big enough to put a DDR pad on, you might consider an air mattress (cheapo 15$ from Walmart) and a piece of plywood, really anything that will raise a piece of plywood up off the floor and still provide support should dampen the noise for your soon to be appreciative neighbor.

Q *has noisy upstairs neighbors a while ago, really wanted to break their legs*

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 11:47      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple layers of human skin should work.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 12:17      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2 or 3 door mats should do the trick.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10670 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted November 24, 2004 12:48      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
A couple layers of human skin should work.

I would imagine sheepskin would be more effective, wouldn't you say?
[crazy]

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 12:52      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still can't believe people actually play and admit to playing that damned game. [Wink]
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted November 24, 2004 13:35      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
I still can't believe people actually play and admit to playing that damned game. [Wink]

Well, it's definitely more fun than running on a threadmill in front of a blank wall. So I feel absolutely no shame to say that I train using DDR. [Big Grin] Oh, and there's a little extra fun to dance on "Go West" or "YMCA" or any Japanese pop/idol tunes. I'd love to get the songs from the "Perfect Blue" anime. [Smile]

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone. If you have some more, keep them coming. For now, I plan to buy a foam mat (dense enough so it won't rock when I step on the sides, yet soft enough to dampen the impact), add a plywood, and then cut a piece of carpet I have to put ontop. I guess this should do the trick.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mike M
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3100

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 14:17      Profile for Mike M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm gonna give the foam mat a try. I'll report back on how it works (or at least my perception of it [Wink] ).

I just play it because it's entertaining exercise. In the winter here, it's kinda hard to go outdoors and do much for very long. It beats the heck out of a stationary bike or treadmill or any other piece of equipment...

--------------------
Mike

"Everyone dies frustrated and sad, and that is beautiful." - Don't Let's Start - They Might Be Giants

Posts: 17 | From: Rochester, MN | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 14:38      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could always build your own, taking special care to place sound retardent layers (foam core?) in between layers of wood. [Razz]
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 14:57      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lay down a good stiff base of MDF/Plywood preferrably a touch bigger than the dance mat.

Layers of carpet/carpet underlay/old blanket/similar should than be applied (enough to absorb impact/deaden sound but no more or "wobble" will become an issue).

Finally a top layer of reasonably stiff ply/mdf to prevent "pocketing" should be used

(In the UK commercial dancehall floors were traditionally wood laid on a thin layer of stiff rubber on top of a cement base

Feels solid to the dancers but floats enough to absorb sound/vibration...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 15:35      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Industrial kitchen mats.

And that's a clever way of getting your exercise in [Smile]

Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
ParodyMan
Newbie Larva
Member # 2065

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2004 08:12      Profile for ParodyMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would try a "DX" or "Ignition" style dance pad. They come with a one inch thick piece of foam underneath the playing surface that prevents it from bunching up and absorbs some of the impact from playing. We have a pair of these:

http://www.buynshop.com/productinfo/44/VG-DDR-ULTDX/

While the noise hasn't been an issue here (I'm in a house), they have been great dance pads. :)

If you're playing a version of DDR that has the spoke rating ("Groove Radar") system, the Air rating is how often you have to jump and the Chaos rating is how varied the steps are.

Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2004 09:07      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ParodyMan:
I would try a "DX" or "Ignition" style dance pad. They come with a one inch thick piece of foam underneath the playing surface that prevents it from bunching up and absorbs some of the impact from playing.

The pad I have is an Ignition. But the foam tends to pack up (at least in the center, don't know if it's a "feature"). I hoped it would be enough, but obviously not as the neighbor still hears me.

Why don't they build all multi-family buildings with 6"-10" concrete floors? [shake head] [Embarrassed]

Anyway, tonight, I go to Home Depot. I might get myself shelves for my storage room too. So you have 'till 12h00 (GC-forum time) to add your suggestions!

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2004 15:36      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stereo may I suggest that you sell DDR and all the associated kit on eBay, then invest the money in a better bed, and some soundproofing, and have a lot more sex! [Wink]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted November 25, 2004 18:28      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
Stereo may I suggest that you sell DDR and all the associated kit on eBay, then invest the money in a better bed, and some soundproofing, and have a lot more sex! [Wink]

The problem is, I can play DDR alone, while a partner is required for sex (or at least, the "sportive" kind)! [blush]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

ParodyMan
Newbie Larva
Member # 2065

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2004 19:04      Profile for ParodyMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
The pad I have is an Ignition. But the foam tends to pack up (at least in the center, don't know if it's a "feature"). I hoped it would be enough, but obviously not as the neighbor still hears me.

Weird. We haven't had that problem at all with our "off brand" one, and for $100 you'd think you wouldn't have a problem.

Good luck with your construction project! :)

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2004 20:31      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:

The problem is, I can play DDR alone, while a partner is required for sex (or at least, the "sportive" kind)! [blush]
Well, if you haven't got a partner, then what are you doing at home playing DDR? Off you go, then! [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
R0x0r_G0dd3ss
Geek-in-Training
Member # 3041

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2004 09:54      Profile for R0x0r_G0dd3ss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey....why can't you do what I do? DO BOTH!!! (but not at the same time...things get hurted..)

--------------------
Ph33r my l337 n3kk1d skillz!!!

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted December 07, 2004 11:02      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somebody went necro-post happy. [Razz]
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture