homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » A Geeky Birthday

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Geeky Birthday
sconzey
Assimilated
Member # 2347

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2004 14:36      Profile for sconzey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Summary for the lazy:Looking for Japanese recepies for a birthday suprise meal.

Detail: It's my S.O.'s birthday on December the 18th. (You may know Dogbert who frequented these forums a while ago)

Anyway, I've been giving it some thought, and as I'm a reasonable cook when I have a recepie to follow, I thought I'd cook her a meal. Knowing her as a Geek of Japan, I thought I'd cook her something Japanese.

A scan of the recepie books we have at home yielded nothing except a few seafood broths (she doesn't like seafood).

A google search yielded many recepies and sites full of information. Too many in fact.

Any favourites you like to reccomend?

--------------------
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent."
--Isaac Asimov

Posts: 490 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2004 15:00      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It depends on what she likes. Is she a vegitarian, or does she prefer dead animal flesh? Then what is her favorite stuff within it.

Here are a couple of my personal favs.

1. You must hand make teriyaki sauce, it's better that way.
2. Jasmine rice. OK it's not Japanese, but it's good. Or if you really have to go true Japanese get a bag of the Calrose rice. Wash it well there is a lot of talc in it.
3. Get a package of of Nori. You can get it pre-prepared.
4. Then stir fry some beef in the before mentioned teriyaki sauce. Or actually, in a tiny bit of sesame oil and add the sauce just at the end of the cooking process.
5. You can wrap the rice in with the Nori and add the beef to it. Nice simple and fulfilling. And you can add a miso soup to really set it off and don't forget the warm saki.

Too bad your SO doesn't care for seafood. There are some killer recipes for squid.

Oh and Pocky for dessert.

edit: too bad you don't want Korean recipes. Man I got a bunch of them.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted November 12, 2004 16:30      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Sconzey

I can't really help you right now. I rate myself as a passable to good cook but I don't do Japanese.

My brother is a big Japanophile though, and he is is visiting me this weekend (allegedly - he's not always reliable in these matters). I'll see if he has any suggestons... Trouble is Nipponese cuisine is very big on seafood (and rice and noodles).

Also I think he cooks like me - less recipe driven and more "feel" for what is right in that cuisine. I'm told my Spag Bol is A1+ but I couldn't write down a specific "recipe" of how I cook it (if you know what I mean)

I guess fishless sushi/sashimi doesn't really cut it huh?

Any reasonable Japanese restaurants where you live?

[Smile]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted November 12, 2004 17:01      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would recommend the Food Network page. You can search by region, type (vegan/vegetarian/non-veg), and by difficulty of recipe.
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2004 17:04      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chicken flavor instant ramen.

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
sconzey
Assimilated
Member # 2347

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2004 13:30      Profile for sconzey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Update: Thanks for the help. [Smile] Went out to House of Fraser today and bought some really nice wooden chopsticks and chopstick holders (my current ones are enormous plastic horribleness).

Just after I made the post, I found a great website. That gave details of layout and features of a Japanese meal and gave me a couple of ideas.

I think I'll try your beef suggestion, CommanderShroom, and thanks for clearing up the rice issue. I've never been able to find any sticky enough to pick up with chopsticks.

Serenak: Japanese Resteraunts are good, but this is a little for my own personal fulfillment. I don't cook enough and I feel as if I should more often. Doing this myself would add another dish or two to my repertoire.

--------------------
--Isaac Asimov

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2004 17:01      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hooray for you

didn't mean to put you down...

the more you cook the easier it gets,

like life in many ways, the more experiences you have the more reference points you have to work to...

Sticky rice... do we mean poorly cooked or do we mean the stuff that stops vampires? (magic warriors of zen mountain?)

PS too much vino to type coherently

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2004 17:23      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sconzey:
Update: Went out to House of Fraser today and bought some really nice wooden chopsticks and chopstick holders (my current ones are enormous plastic horribleness).

Definitely, a good set of chopsticks will make the meal. Don't forget to have a couple of the good spoons too. It may sound odd but those are the two most essential items for an Asian meal setting.

quote:
I think I'll try your beef suggestion, CommanderShroom, and thanks for clearing up the rice issue. I've never been able to find any sticky enough to pick up with chopsticks.

The Calrose rice is the stuff. The way you normally prepare it is wash* it well then soak it overnight. That softens the rice enough to cook relatively quickly. When you cook it that way, it will stick to anything. I think you could use good asian rice to put plates back together.
[Wink]

Hope the dinner goes vell for you. I think she'll dig it.

*Oh, when I say wash I mean, put it in a container fill with warm water and sift your fingers through, drain and repeat until the water loses most of it's milky coler.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2004 05:15      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of this subject, I went to a place in Toronto last weekend called "Memories of Japan".. it's this place where they do the cooking right in front of you. I had lobster tail, chicken, beef fried rice, sushi, and pop, and salad and the bill came to $29 CAD including tax. Pretty damned impressive.

The food was awesome. If anyone's ever in Toronto. Go there. Awesome. It's in the east end near the science centre.

And I am absolutely INCAPABLE of using chopsticks.. absolutely useless.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2004 06:23      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
... the bill came to $29 CAD including tax. Pretty damned impressive.

edited:That is pretty cheap. To get good sushi here my wife and I can easily spend $70+ for a dinner. That's why I haven't had sushi in a while.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 14, 2004 07:42      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About sushi, a fish market near where I live has someone making sushis. It goes from the 6-pieces maki-sushi to 16-pieces assortment. The latter costs about CAD$20 when taxes factored in. So I indulge about once a week. [hearts]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
sconzey
Assimilated
Member # 2347

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2004 11:14      Profile for sconzey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another thing, the dashi for miso soup... Should I make it myself, or buy dried stock from a shop? I've even seen packets of ready-made miso soup on the shelves...

Also, do any of the UK-geeks know of a decent asian supermarket. I saw a few when I was in the 'states, and I know Jamie Oliver visited one in an episode of The Naked Chef, but does anyone know where one is? A google search didn't come up with much, scoot was useless (as usual), as was multimap (as I didn't have an address).

--------------------
--Isaac Asimov

magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2004 17:33      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
in an episode of The Naked Chef
? What is this show?

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2004 18:31      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
quote:
in an episode of The Naked Chef
? What is this show?
He is a British chef who usually prepares simple meals for his friends. I don't know why they call him 'naked' because he is always clothed.... [crazy]
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2004 18:35      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Also, do any of the UK-geeks know of a decent asian supermarket. I saw a few when I was in the 'states, and I know Jamie Oliver visited one in an episode of The Naked Chef, but does anyone know where one is? A google search didn't come up with much, scoot was useless (as usual), as was multimap (as I didn't have an address).

Theres a hoopy chinese market in Leeds, behind Maplin if you're ever near there... [Smile]
Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2004 05:11      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sconzey,

Does there happen to an area with a larger subsection of Japanese? I don't know what it is like out there, but around here there are basically little enclaves. i.e. my mother went off and moved into Korea-town a couple of years ago. The title is unofficial, of course, so it is a section in downtown L.A. with a lot of buildings with Han-Gul writing ont the signs.

As far as the dashi, I think you are safe with the pre-prepped stuff. Though remember it will more than likely have some type of fish in it. Sconzey, Japanese cooking is hard to do without fish. Man they live on a friggin' island. [Big Grin]

edit: Let me add a smiley here. I just re-read the thing. I was trying to be humorous but it looked rather rude, now that I have more caffeine in me.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

sconzey
Assimilated
Member # 2347

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2004 12:54      Profile for sconzey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, thanks, I've already enlightened myself on the various types of dashi. I have planned a vegetarian-safe kelp dashi. If I can't get stock for that I may have to make it myself.
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2004 14:57      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They call him the 'naked chef' because he 'strips down' recipes to their 'bare essentials'.

He doesn't at any point ever get naked. (I hope.)

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
fanboy_uk

Member # 2132

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2004 09:44      Profile for fanboy_uk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Which county do you live in?
Try Wing Yip it is an oriental cash and carry/supermarket. Most large towns and cities have oriental stores, it is just a case of tracking them down. Now if you were living in Brighton or Hove I could give you a whole load of them.

--------------------
A woman walked into a cocktail bar, took one look at the drinks menu and asked the barman for a Double Entendré.
So he gave her one

Posts: 161 | From: Brighton, UK (50.8389, -00.1876) | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2004 12:28      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steam up some edamame as an appetizer. It is an edible soybean and is quite delish. People usually put the pods in thier mouth and shell out the beans with their teeth. The pods themselves are diffucult to digest. It's also high in protein, and very healthy (especally compared to potato skins or chicken quesadillas).

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
sconzey
Assimilated
Member # 2347

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2004 04:55      Profile for sconzey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fanboy_uk:
quote:
Also, do any of the UK-geeks know of a decent asian supermarket.
--snip--

Which county do you live in?
Try Wing Yip it is an oriental cash and carry/supermarket. Most large towns and cities have oriental stores, it is just a case of tracking them down. Now if you were living in Brighton or Hove I could give you a whole load of them.

I live in Wiltshire... I have some friends who live in Japan now, but they used to live in Bath, which is very close, so I guess there's something there. Anyone know any specifics?

--------------------
--Isaac Asimov

Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2004 17:46      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about Wiltshire, but there are some really good ones in and around ChinaTown near London's Leicester Square and also up here in Newcastle. (mmmmmm Calbee BBQ Crisps [Smile] )

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture