homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Bit torrents and the like.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bit torrents and the like.
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 5 posted October 23, 2004 13:04      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now before I ask this, I don't want people bitching about stealing (especially since here in Canada file sharing isn't stealing in the eyes of the law, yet) etc etc. This is purely a technical thread.

What are y'all using for P2P files sharing? Anyone using bit torrents? What do you like and dislike about the app you are using?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2004 13:28      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
Now before I ask this, I don't want people bitching about stealing
What are y'all using for P2P files sharing? Anyone using bit torrents? What do you like and dislike about the app you are using?

For a start, there's lots of 100% legit uses for bittorrent. It's the standard way of distributing Mandrake Linux, and Knoppix and I'm downloading the project Gutenberg DVD image now.

I use Torrentstorm It works, it's easy enough to use, but ....

1. Part of the performance tuning you do is setting the maximum number of connections it'll have going at once. It seems to ignore this, set it at 15, turn your back for a few minutes, and you've got 50 connections going.

2. A few sites check which client you're using, and deny access to Torrentstorm. Apparently it's not 100% standard compliant, and some admins don't like it. Dunno the details.

3. On those sites that keep upload/download ratios, they tend to be way off. Again, this seems to be because it's not standards compliant.

So, in general, if I was installing from scratch I'd probably try something else, but it works for me and I've been too lazy to change so far.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2004 13:40      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am using Kazaa V 2.0

I intentionally use this old version because it isn't bloated up with spy ware. What I am finding is that (I usually download music) most files seem to be fakes placed by the record labels so you have to watch what you are downloading or you get a tune that is actually only 4 minutes of the chorus repeating over and over.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2004 14:15      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
I am using Kazaa V 2.0

I intentionally use this old version because it isn't bloated up with spy ware. What I am finding is that (I usually download music) most files seem to be fakes placed by the record labels so you have to watch what you are downloading or you get a tune that is actually only 4 minutes of the chorus repeating over and over.

I don't really use bittorrent for music myself, so I don't know if the fakes are a problem on BT, but ...

The way bittorrent works, the more people you've got in a 'swarm', the better everyones download speeds tend to be (although there are exceptions). This makes it good for distributing linux distros, and other large files (like movies) but distributing single songs via bittorrent doesn't really work all that well. So, you tend to get whole album rips, but not individual songs.

If you download an entire album to get the one track you want, and then find out it's a fake, could get very annoying.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2004 15:07      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second TFD about BitTorrent - it was *designed* for legal use, and has some very good design in place, at that. I use it for Linux downloads, and these days, I use Azureus (a Java client) on a Mac. The grey area use for it that first came about was the download of anime fansubs - anime whereby someone takes a capture of Japanese TV (a "raw" as a friend of mine referred to it), and subtitles it gratis (AFAIK). I don't see that as entirely wrong, as there is no money involved, and it is akin to sharing a videotape of a TV show. OTOH, I understand this may go against some copyright law that says videotapes should only be used for timeshifting, and according to this nonsense, you're not supposed to keep it after having watched it (ads and all). Additionally, the producers of the series, and their distributers would rather like your money for the expensive DVDs they release with Region 1 encoding, and horrific dubbing. Downloading full-length movies seems to be a clear violation of copyright laws, IMHO.

Kazaa is a POS. So is the current version of Kazaa Lite, from what I've seen of spyware-laden machines. File sharing is the best way to catch loads of viruses on your machine, as well as getting it destroyed with spyware/adware/malware. I only wish BT hadn't gotten its reputation tarnished with all the illegal file sharing people use it for - if my boss hears "BitTorrent," he immediately thinks "illegal file sharing that will slow down our network." I usually make a point of letting him know before I download ISOs with it, lest he see it in the stats and wonder who's violating policy. *sigh*

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2004 15:22      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was talking about this in a slashdot thread recently.

A new protocol has been developed that is apparently much better than TCP (though that's not a hard task).. one of the great features of this new protocol are how it would better handle programs like bittorrent.

My argument was that it's probably a wonderful program, and if it is, they should probably not use that as a method to advertise its usefulness, because that will bring the suits who only see 'piracy' when they see the word bittorrent and freak out and do everything in their power to keep it down.

I put Xandros Linux on computers for people who aren't computer geeks and want something better than Windows. Its main method of distribution is via bittorrent. It works well.

And as for what program I use, I use gtk-gnutella. Kind of old and outdated, but it doesn't let me down, so I can't complain.

My apologies for the incoherent post with no apparent point. [Razz]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2004 16:40      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dman. I agree Kazaa is a POS, which is precisely why I am looking for an alternative.

BTW, as I mentioned above, in Canada sharing files is not a violation of copyright law. When you buy blank media here, a surcharge is included in the price; this (supposedly) is going back into the coffers of the artists somehow. Also, a lot of the music I am *stealing* is from the 70’s and 80's and either I owned it on 8track, vinyl or cassette or the music is no longer available.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2004 16:11      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
America's army can be downloaded vit bit torrent through a link at their site.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ti
Assimilated
Member # 941

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted November 03, 2004 23:21      Profile for Ti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Using OSX:

Acquisition for random or harder to find files

Tomato Torrent for bittorrent files (I love downloading fansubs, Go Go Free Anime!)

Oh, and hi again forum. Work here in the middle of paradise is a little slow I might be posting here for a little bit.

Kevin

--------------------
Check out my webpage/blog/review stash
www.logichigh.com

Posts: 377 | From: Sunnyvale, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
agent_meg
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 27, 2004 09:32      Profile for agent_meg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just found out that bit torrents exist a few minutes ago, but I don't think I entirely understand what they are. It's like the Kazaa and Limewire general idea right? What kind of program do you need to get the files? I've been using a program called Ares, where I download a lot of music, but I'm trying to find sites or just anyway to download movies and albums. Any advice or help would be awesome.
Posts: 2 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture