homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » iBook Mac Color Error

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: iBook Mac Color Error
Evilbunny
Uber Geek
Member # 970

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2004 21:21      Profile for Evilbunny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an iBook that has strange colors. It just happened after someone used the laptop and gave it back.

How do I change the color settings? I know there are Mac geeks here, and I need help! The screen has no black or white anymore, just a strange green with varying shades of blue.

Does anyone know what this is?

Thanks for your time.

--------------------
2b(V)~2b, THAT is the question.
(And everyone already knows the answer!)

Posts: 904 | From: A Calculus book near you... | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted October 07, 2004 22:50      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you mean by strange? Like, blotchy strange or strange strange?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2004 03:33      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it looks anything like this then your screen is broken. Otherwise it's probably software [Razz]
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2004 05:30      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originaly posted by Tut-an-Geek
quote:
If it looks anything like this then your screen is broken. Otherwise it's probably software

That pic is just so sad it makes me want to cry [cry baby] Who would let such a thing happen.

But back to the subject at hand. I have never encountered a problem with my iBook Or my 3400c on any screen issues. But if you got the 3-year warranty with it (Or your still within your first 90 days) you can call the good people at Apple and they would be more then happy to assist you.

Another good thing would be to ask the person that borrowed it if they noticed when it happened and if they remember what they where doing. (This may not work. If they did do something wrong to your computer and know about it they might not fess up) But if it was just something they did and they where just playing around with something then it shouldn't be to hard to find out just what went wrong.

And another idea is you can always check here to see if this problem has been addressed in the past.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Evilbunny
Uber Geek
Member # 970

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2004 18:03      Profile for Evilbunny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks!
Posts: 904 | From: A Calculus book near you... | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2004 20:47      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mac D:
quote:
If it looks anything like this then your screen is broken. Otherwise it's probably software

That pic is just so sad it makes me want to cry [cry baby] Who would let such a thing happen.

Never run down 10 flights of stairs with bad shoes with an ibook in your backpack (I slipped and caught myself, but the backpack impacted).
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2004 03:10      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Control-Option-Command-* (asterisk) will Switch to White on Black.

I had this issue once.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75459

macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2004 22:02      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[/QUOTE]Never run down 10 flights of stairs with bad shoes with an ibook in your backpack (I slipped and caught myself, but the backpack impacted). [/QB][/QUOTE]

Tut!!!!
You never said that before.... I am truly dissapointed

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2004 06:48      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by macmcseboy:

Never run down 10 flights of stairs with bad shoes with an ibook in your backpack (I slipped and caught myself, but the backpack impacted). [/QUOTE]

Tut!!!!
You never said that before.... I am truly dissapointed [/QB][/QUOTE]

The screen had been always mis-shappen though. And the trackpad has always been pushing into the screen. Have you ever seen *deep* scratches brought on by the trackpad button? The crack started directly above the trackpad button. Besides, the impact was practically nothing. I've seen laptops take far worse than that. Essentially I started to catch myself very high up, but was strugling to stop the bag from hitting the stairs, and it barely impacted.

macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2004 19:50      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evilbunny:
I have an iBook that has strange colors. It just happened after someone used the laptop and gave it back.

How do I change the color settings? I know there are Mac geeks here, and I need help! The screen has no black or white anymore, just a strange green with varying shades of blue.

Does anyone know what this is?

Thanks for your time.

EB What type of iBook is it, a clamshell or a chicklet.... Can you post a picture so that i can make an assement... I fix these thing for a living

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2004 23:25      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you could try these things first, if they don't work you may be borked [Frown]

what os? if x go to system preferences>displays>display tab - make sure colors are set at either thousands or millions, then click the colors tab and choose the ibook display profile then click calibrate.

it's been a while, but I'm fairly sure in os9 just open the monitors control panel (system folder>control panels) choose color then calibrate and it will walk you through some steps. when you get to the third (I think) choose mac standard.

Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacGenius
Alpha Geek
Member # 1333

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2004 08:23      Profile for MacGenius   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tut-an-Geek:
quote:
Originally posted by Mac D:
quote:

Never run down 10 flights of stairs with bad shoes with an ibook in your backpack
And without a warranty [Wink]

Once I left my laptop bag open. It was closed but the zipper wasn't shut, and I was rushing somewhere, and I grabbed the bag and my PowerBook tumbled out. It still worked...and the screen wasn't broken either.

Posts: 264 | From: Mars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture