homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Computer will not connect to the Internet

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Computer will not connect to the Internet
SimpleMan
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2860

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted October 01, 2004 17:35      Profile for SimpleMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK the computer in the kitchen has a network cable running to it from a router in my bedroom. I checked the cable by plugging my laptop into it and the laptop connects to the Internet, so it aint the cable. The kitchen computer had an outdated version of Norton Systemworks and Zonealarm on it, so I uninstalled them....now the computer will not connect to the Internet. It was working fine untill I uninstalled NSW and Zonealarm....so the uninstall of one of those programs screwed something up. I tried to do a system restore but it can not restore the computer. So now what is my next step? How can I make Windows find a problem and repair itself? Thank you for the help. [cry baby]

--------------------
Wrote a song bout it, like to hear it....here it go

Posts: 47 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2004 19:34      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1st, try a re-install ZA (download the pro version and send it over your network, burn to cdr, or put on a usb-key)

2nd option is to do a manual uninstall of ZA and norton, then a normal install of ZA Pro

systemworks is BAD, keep away

for anti-virus, after you get that pc back online, go to www.grisoft.com and get the pro version of AVG there

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
SimpleMan
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2860

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted October 01, 2004 20:01      Profile for SimpleMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well as things turn out...I tried a reinstall of ZA but I got errors, I tried a system restore but it would not restore, I tried a recovry of WinXP but it would not recover, I tried a re-install of the OS but it would lock up saying that critical files were missing, so the only thing I know to do is slick the thing and do a clean install. Somehow the machine got messed up weither it was ZA NSW or those stupid attachments that mom just has to open in her e-mails. If it was a virus then Norton did not catch it. I agree with you...on my personal machine..the one in my room I use AVG and like it. I like free, open source, programs....but mom does not "get it". I am not sure what else to do but to format the thing and start over....she has no baskups of her e-mails or address book. She only uses it for the Internet, e-mail, and card games. No real major loss of info on the machine. Thanks guy for the help. [Smile]

--------------------

-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2004 22:21      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ZA Pro is definetly not the problem, but that combined with nsw could have caused untold corruption

hell, nsw could have done it all by itself

and yeah, nsw does suck for anit-virus, so sure, something could have gotten past it
that's not hard to do with nsw

if there's nothing worth saving on that pc, a wipe/reinstall would do wonders

save any files to cdr (email, documents, mp3, etc)
wipe the drive
install OS
install firewall
install a/v
install all OS updates
put files back from cdr
install any other software

(highly reccomended in that order only!)

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
SimpleMan
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2860

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted October 02, 2004 05:19      Profile for SimpleMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks alot guys...all is in order and things seem to be working. Ya know...you learn, you mess up, you leard some more, etc. What happened last night was something that you just have to learn from experence and by just trying things out. I mean they did not teach that in my college computer classes. Thanks again for your help. I was able to re-install the OS and not loose any of the files from e-mail, address book, etc. I am so happy. Thanks again. [Big Grin]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture