homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » ARGH! DDOS!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ARGH! DDOS!
scenepointblank
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2919

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 01, 2004 04:04      Profile for scenepointblank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Help! I need to know my rights. 2 days ago my website (http://www.scenepointblank.com - a music zine) went down. I found out from the other admin that we got 50 people online within 10 seconds on our forum. Being the only geek on the site, I knew at once that the likelihood of this being genuine was tiny (the most we ever had at once on that board was 16) so I figured it was a malicious attack.

Now, i've only heard this through another staff member, but our host (cyberpixels.com) apparantly wanted $10,000 from us because of the server crash 'we' caused. The other admin talked them down (i'm not sure what to). As far as I can tell, we shouldn't have to pay for what was quite clearly a DDOS.. our site generally runs into 5gb bandwidth a month (our account permits 10gb a month traffic) so it's clear to me that this was an attack.

EDIT: Futher to the above, I spoke to the other admin, and the $10,000 figure was quoted by the webhost as being the cost they stand to lose to pay out refunds to people whose sites were down in the time the server crash 'we' caused took place.

What's the (geek) law on this? Is there one? If it's at the discrection of the server to charge, what argument do we have against them? We can't think of anyone who'd do this to us, we just review records, unless there's some script kiddie who's pissed at us for dissing his band, we're at a loss for why this happened.. how can we prevent it in future?

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2004 08:40      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd tell em to go fsck themselves. To me it sounds more like extortion. They, in fact should be paying you because the service you were paying for was not being provided (to you or their other clients) Sounds to me like these guys are a fly by night outfit. Go get yourself a real host.....maybe even ask for references and check 'em out.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
TangentIdea
Newbie Larva
Member # 2849

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2004 10:00      Profile for TangentIdea   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use TotalChoice Hosting (www.totalchoicehosting.com) currently, and have been pretty happy with them. Their prices are good (although you would be quite welcome to buy through me [Smile] ). They just use a standard Linux/Apache/cPanel setup, but their techs are very knowledgeable and support requests are handled very quickly and professionally. They even give out AIM s/n's for their techs, which I've never seen elsewhere. TCH also has a bulletin board where they post news and update announcements, and where customers can get help from each other and the TCH staff. Heck, customers permitted to complain on occasion about the service. Boy, I did that once with another host, and it got me kicked licketysplit... But I don't really have a reason to complain here.

FWIW.

--------------------
"Mr. Speaker, I would like to ask Rep. Hawkins to bring it on."

Posts: 7 | From: LANCaster | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Richard
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2868

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2004 10:26      Profile for Richard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I run a webhosting company myself. As far as them saying it was your fault and charging you that's just wrong. You are paying for their service to prevent such things, if their server can't provide for a small thing such as 50 users signing onto a web forum then you should deffinatly look for a new host.

Most of my customers are small businesses or government contractors. I offer encrypted connections to my host and SSL e-mail. My web server usually takes about 100K hits / day (which isn't really a lot) and doesn't even see above 1% utilization. I'm still upgrading and adding another Gig of RAM to it, as well as another 4 250GB HDDs which makes my 69GB of mp3s finally fit somewhere that's backed up on a regular basis [Smile]

Anyway to get back to the subject, you should not have to pay for that, being the hosting service they should have services/firewalls in place to prevent DDOS attacks as any good hosting service does.

~REM

Posts: 49 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
scenepointblank
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2919

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 01, 2004 15:22      Profile for scenepointblank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone!

The site is back online now, no fees. I think they realized they had no right to charge us. Interestingly, they also give out AIM screennames for support too, although they weren't around when I tried to contact them..

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture