homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » My computer is randomly resetting...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My computer is randomly resetting...
Raging Dragon
Geek-in-Training
Member # 2812

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted August 31, 2004 17:26      Profile for Raging Dragon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or seemingly so. I do have an AMD Athlon 1800, and I've read recently that microsoft's latest giant update screws up AMD computers... I wonder if that is the case. It seems any time I run a few applications together, (i.e. IE, MSN, music player, and a couple bit torrent downloads) my computer resets. It also reset trying to check the disk for problems, when I turned the moniter off etc! normally I've never had a problem with this.

I do wonder if it's because I have 13 gigs free on my 76gig HD, or if it could be something else. I'm going to run all my spyware programs, find the latest updates for my drivers where I can and defrag my computer. Is there anything else I can do?

--------------------
There is nothing like what I have become.

Posts: 35 | From: Victoria BC | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Raging Dragon
Geek-in-Training
Member # 2812

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2004 17:52      Profile for Raging Dragon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and I ran my antivirus program and it came up clean.

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2004 18:34      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so I went through a bit of hell today, and did some cleaning of computers. There's one file I ran into, deemed to be a trojan by McAfee, that was almost impossible to remove. The file for me was lsd_3f.dll (IIRC, anyway), and after I killed more than one svchost.exe, I got the infamous 'the computer will reboot in 60 seconds.' However, I was ready for that, fired up a command prompt, and typed in `shutdown -a` not a second too soon (actually, as compared to the last time, when I had a nice onlooker, and really was playing beat the clock, I probably had ~30s left this time). I'll try and find something about it tomorrow - I might have written down the variant name at work. It was *ugly* to deal with though. Also, is anyone familiar with 'winu32.exe' - there was an entry for it on this one computer in the "Run" section, and I'm suspicious of it, and deleted the entry, though I can't even find the file. The machine in question *should* be clean, as the person involved had reloaded it but 2 days ago - but I saw a random IE instance on 2 occasions trying to go to a Tripod page :-/.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Raging Dragon
Geek-in-Training
Member # 2812

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2004 19:44      Profile for Raging Dragon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! I didn't even know that svchost,.exe was bad! I have three on my computer, and I can't delete them! Are they specifically bad? Windows keeps telling me it's part of the operating system. (XP) I've run a search on those other files and didn't find them.

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2004 20:13      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Raging Dragon:
Wow! I didn't even know that svchost,.exe was bad! I have three on my computer, and I can't delete them! Are they specifically bad? Windows keeps telling me it's part of the operating system. (XP) I've run a search on those other files and didn't find them.

I think svchost.exe is part of the OS, IIRC. dman probably had a reason to be trying to kill it, I suspect.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2004 20:23      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two ideas, Dragon... oh damn... now there's *two* dragons.

Well, Raging Dragon, I have two ideas. Firstly, when is the last time you updated your virus *definitons*!! Sorry to insult your intelligence here, but so many people don't do it, I just HAVE to mention it. I've seen virus defs (on a system I was on a few months ago) as old as 1998! [Eek!]

Second, I would suspect that perhaps your power supply is wearing out. Honestly, this is where I'd start my diagnosis. How old is the power supply? How many watts is it rated at?

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2004 20:28      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Three svchost.exe processes in the task manager, or three svchost.exe files on your hard drive? Task manager can have a whole bunch of SVCHOSTs showing up at once, but you're only supposed to have one SVCHOST.exe file on your hard drive in the SYSTEM32 folder, iirc. If you have another svchost.exe that's running and is not in \windir\system32\, it's a virus. If your system is in fact clean, it might be your processor overheating. Make sure the fan on the heatsink spins, and the heatsink itself is not clogged by dust.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2004 20:30      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spontaneously rebooting computers these days are far more likely due to piss poor programming of viruses than faulty power supplies.

SVCHOST.exe *is* a Windows component. It is the *host* to *services* - malicious code that installs itself as a service can ask Windows to execute its code, and the resulting process will bear the aforementioned name. This is how some virii hide - if svchost.exe is running for a prolonged period of time on your machine, it may be a bad situation (many legitimate programs run stuff though this sporadically - I believe it has ties to rundll calls, and will be used for things like printing, or other stuff.) Something legit. /could/ use it all the time, but this functionality really should be in a different executable. You can find the truth by running `tasklist /svc` on some WinXP boxen - otherwise, you'll likely need to install it from the Resource Kit CD (which is not a likely thing for most home users to have [Wink] ).

Oh, sh*t, I forgot...I'm an idiot - the above post was really written by 1,000 monkeys with keyboards or something.../me rolls eyes at the 'really smart Windows people.'

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2004 20:50      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Spontaneously rebooting computers these days are far more likely due to piss poor programming of viruses than faulty power supplies.

SVCHOST.exe *is* a Windows component. It is the *host* to *services* - malicious code that installs itself as a service can ask Windows to execute its code, and the resulting process will bear the aforementioned name. This is how some virii hide - if svchost.exe is running for a prolonged period of time on your machine, it may be a bad situation (many legitimate programs run stuff though this sporadically - I believe it has ties to rundll calls, and will be used for things like printing, or other stuff.) Something legit. /could/ use it all the time, but this functionality really should be in a different executable. You can find the truth by running `tasklist /svc` on some WinXP boxen - otherwise, you'll likely need to install it from the Resource Kit CD (which is not a likely thing for most home users to have [Wink] ).

Oh, sh*t, I forgot...I'm an idiot - the above post was really written by 1,000 monkeys with keyboards or something.../me rolls eyes at the 'really smart Windows people.'

Doesn't Lovsan create a bunch of fake SVCHOST and DLLHOST files?
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
DigitalBill

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 01, 2004 06:05      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Raging Dragon:
Or seemingly so. I do have an AMD Athlon 1800, and I've read recently that microsoft's latest giant update screws up AMD computers... I wonder if that is the case. It seems any time I run a few applications together, (i.e. IE, MSN, music player, and a couple bit torrent downloads) my computer resets. It also reset trying to check the disk for problems, when I turned the moniter off etc! normally I've never had a problem with this.

It's my understanding that this is a symptom of the SASSER virus.

Leo Laporte has posted these handy removal instructions with links on his website.

http://leoville.tv/radio/pmwiki.php/Main/RemovingSasser

To remove the Sasser infection follow these steps:

• Disconnect from the Internet.
  • Disable Sasser to keep your system from rebooting. Click Start, select Run… and enter shutdown -a then press OK. That will stop the worm.
  • Turn on your Windows XP firewall. Open Network Connections, right-click your network connection icon and select Properties. Click the Advanced tab and turn on the firewall. This will prevent reinfection.
  • Reconnect to the Internet
  • Update your anti-virus and disinfect your computer, or download the free Sasser removal tool from SARC. ( http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sasser.removal.tool.html )
  • Run Windows Update and install all critical updates. You should do this regularly.

Hope this helps.

=DB

...a Wizard of Technology, but still so not the windows guy

--------------------
I've found life is so much better in the cartoon universe!
"No power in the 'Verse can stop us!"

Posts: 604 | From: The Wizards of Technology Binary Bunker | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 01, 2004 08:21      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and for the record, this is what I removed yesterday:
http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_126546.htm

Fscking pain in the arse to remove...

--------------------

Raging Dragon
Geek-in-Training
Member # 2812

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 01, 2004 18:15      Profile for Raging Dragon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all of the information guys. I will be cleaning out the guts of my computer soon. Probably tonight or tommorow night. I did update my virus definitions before I ran the scan.

Speaking of power problems, I think that's the half of it. I noticed that my computer randomly TURNED OFF(!!) and that the power bar light was off too! It then turned back on, so I switched power outlets and now it hasn't reset since. I also phoned the guy who originally owned the place and asked him about the electric wiring of the house and finagled with a couple of things to make sure the power supply was regular.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture