homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » For Auto Geeks...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: For Auto Geeks...
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted August 30, 2004 09:04      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a very hard question, mind you.

I always thought my ideal car would be a convertible Saab. And guess what? My father pointed me to an used one being on sale. It's a 1995 model 9-3 (I think; 4 cylindre with turbocharger), less than 90 000km, never went out in winter, pretty much perfect condition. Sold by the owner, and we know the mechanic guy who took care of it.

The question is as follow: what do you think its fair market value to be? The owner asks for CDN$24 000, while I think I could afford it at around CDN$18 000. What do you think?

It sounds like I might get myself a car... [hearts] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2004 09:34      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know there is a difference between the CAN and US dollar. Not that much though.

Here in Cali. I can pick up a 900 series Saab 'vert for about 7-10 Grand.

Actually my "Dad" picked up a '90 model w/ t2.0 turbo for 1200 dollars just 6 months ago.

I think you should keep huntin'

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2004 10:40      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Firstly I'd check the age again. SAAB 93 wasn't introduced until 1998.

If it's a SAAB 900 then the asking price seems really OTT. Whilst the low milage is a benefit, SAAB engines if well maintained are good for 200,000 KM

here's some things to compare

firstly around the same age
Autotrader

then something with a price between yours and his
Saab 93 Cabriolet

Can't fault your choice, they really are good cars, but keep some money in the bank for service as replacement parts can be ouch!

Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2004 11:54      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Commander S: The rate is about CDN$1.34= US$1, so I roughly add a third of the price to go from US$ to CDN$.

Allan: You're right, it's a 900. I got mixed-up by reading descriptions of 900 with 6 cylindres. I've done some searches on my side, and I agree, CDN$24 000 is really too high. Now, I rather think its value should be around CDN$14 000. Add in the very low mileage and great condition, it's probably not worth more than CDN$16 000. And thanks for the links. It gives me a comparative base for bargaining.

This one is very low priced. It would leave me a couple grands for full revision and repairs (rust? not that well maintained?).

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2004 12:35      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While Saabs are amazing cars mechanically, I personally find them ugly as all hell, and overpriced. I'd just as soon get a Toyota -- just as much quality, much nicer. The only difference is a Toyota doesn't have that snob appeal that people who are rich get to have when they drive a Saab.

For $24k you can get a 2004 Toyota Corolla or Matrix.

Just my $0.02.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2004 13:50      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure one can get a cheaper car for 24k$. But you've obviously never driven a Saab. Smooooth! Plus a Toyota that price isn't convertible, doesn't have leather seats nor sex appeal. Ok, you find Saabs ugly. I find them sexy!

Then you add on the luxury details I've only found in european cars... For example, do you know that most Saab's starter is between the seats? That way, disengaging the parking brake, starting the car, engaging first gear and driving is done in a single quarter-circular(?) arm movement.

I don't intend to ever buy a Toyota - I'd rather have a Honda or VW as a mid-level car -, but I can't help but drool over a Saab. I couldn't say no to a MG either. Recent Volvo also have some appeal to me. On the other hand, I find Porsches and the like to be too sportive* to fit my personnality, and with a BMW, a big part of the price is for the brand itself.

But after all, it's only a matter of personnal taste, always.

*Yes, I know, MG cars a pretty sportive too. Still, I find myself unable to put MGs and Porsches on the same level. Difference of image, I guess. Porsches scream "Show me the money!" while MGs purr "Show me the class!"

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted August 30, 2004 16:21      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I own a VW now, and I can honestly say I'll probably never own one again.
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2004 16:30      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somebody i know is crazy about the Beetle and wants to get one.... I was less crazy about it. Nice looking, but I'd worry about parts and such.

What don't you like about your VW DNM?

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2004 18:25      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
Somebody i know is crazy about the Beetle and wants to get one.... I was less crazy about it. Nice looking, but I'd worry about parts and such.

The new Beetle is a cruel parody of The Real Thing.
The compromises they had to make to put the engine in the front mean it's ungainly, difficult to park, and just plain funny-lookin'

The new Mini, now there's a nice car....

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2004 05:22      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
What don't you like about your VW DNM?

It's unreliable junk.

I know VW mechanics -- the KNOWN problems that continue to exist in Volkswagens are unsettling.

VWs have had shoddy electrical systems since the dawn of time. They still can't seem to get a handle on it. My rear taillights burn out pretty much weekly. I've given up trying to fix it, since the car has probably gone for its last drive as of yesterday -- the rad gave out, and it's not worth fixing since I'm getting my brand new car in October.

Their transmissions are JUNK. Absolute JUNK. The clutches are known to wear extremely prematurely on the diesels because they're not made to handle the torque provided by the smokers, the release bearing and friction plate are known accidents waiting to happen on both gas and diesel.

They still can't seem to produce a MAF sensor that doesn't stop working after a year of use.

I used to be HUGE Pro-VW. Then my eyes were opened to the fact that they're overpriced junk.

I'll give them one thing: their engines are in-f'in-de-structible. It's the rest of the car that sucks. [Big Grin]

Fortunately, since October is one of those magical 3 paycheque months, my first pay of the month will be used to put the down payment on my new car.

However, I'm still undecided as to which car I'm getting. The 3 I've narrowed it down to have both pros and cons. As of now, I'm mostly stuck between the Sentra and Matrix.

2005 Toyota Matrix XRS

Pros:
- My father works at the plant that makes them, I get a discount worth almost $2k.
- Reliable as hell.
- Easiest to get. If they can't get one, they order it from the plant. 2 weeks turnaround at worst.

Cons:
- Not so cheap on insurance. (Middle of the 3.)
- Not as much fun to drive as the other two, but still fun.

2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V

Pros:
- SO much fun to drive.
- SEXY car. Looks incredible.

Cons:
- Awful on insurance.

2004 Mazda 3 Sport

Pros:
- Sexy car. Leather interior. mmmm.
- Cheapest of the 3 on insurance.

Cons:
- Hard to get. Everyone wants one.
- They screw you in the bum on interest, because they don't care about you (because they know if you don't buy it, someone else will.)
- Only a 5 speed. (the other two are 6 speeds.)

It seems with each passing day, my choice changes.

I probably won't know for sure until the day I walk into a dealership and say, GIMME!

supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2004 07:51      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
The only difference is a Toyota doesn't have that snob appeal that people who are rich get to have when they drive a Saab.

Wouldn't that make it snaab appeal? [Big Grin]

(I can't take credit for that. There was a Saab near where I used to live which had SNAAB for a vanity plate!)

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2004 16:49      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a quick follow-up for those who may be interested (unless there are none?).

Well, I won't buy the car. His final price was $17 000, and insurances a lot higher than I thought. I just can't afford it. [cry baby]

But... there's another one not too far and a lot cheaper. I may get to see it next week-end. So I might still get myself a Saab convertible... [hearts]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2004 18:17      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. Insurance is a real bitch. Although it's a lot more livable in Quebec than it is in Ontario from what I heard.
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 03, 2004 04:26      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stereo,

When you check out this other one.

1. Test drive it and kick the turbo in, watch the boost gauge. A turbo rebuild can cost you up to $1000. And no purpose in buyin a turbo that don't work. And it also takes about 100hp off the engine.

2. Check the condition of the little things. Check belts and hoses (intercooler, too). Tires, brakes, and general service. If this is a private party puchase, be afraid of a car that looks poorly taken care of on the exterior and has fresh oil, trans fluid and anti-freeze. Sometimes people will change these to mask bad head gaskets and such.

Hope it works out. Saabs are a blast to drive.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 03, 2004 04:29      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Following that logic, people should be lining up to buy my car.. I haven't changed the oil in over 15,000km. *grin*

I'm selling it off as-is for a parts car or for someone who has the time to fix the rad and tranny and replace the windshield.

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 03, 2004 05:06      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I wasn't referring to that kind of extreme. [Big Grin] Though my '62 Corvair sedan hasn't had the oil changed since I bought it. Sat two years before that, and No one is certain when the oil was changed before then.

I was meaning more along the lines of a car that is the way you have described yours, and somebody has gone through the extra work of making sure that the fluids are all fresh, while telling you that this is a great machine and how they drive it all the time. You expect to see a little age in the fluids.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 03, 2004 05:57      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is how the ad will look when I sell mine:

'94 VW Golf GL 5spd. 330k hwy. km. Black. Needs tranny work, new windsheild, and rad work. Engine still runs excellently. 16" AR rims. No stereo. Clutch, entire exhaust (from cat back including o2 sensor), lots of suspension, brakes, water pump all replaced within last 2 years. Still being driven now. $750 as-is. (possibly $1000 OBO)

.. I'll be sure to tell them the truth. It's driven 75k in the last year alone, etc.

SimpleMan
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2860

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted September 03, 2004 06:31      Profile for SimpleMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When it comes to cars I am old school. I am not impressed very much by this new stuff. It is expensive, when imports break down they cost a fortune to fix plus most all this new stuff looks alike so a Toyota looks like a Nissan looks like a Honda. I like old school muscle cars and Hot Rods with balls to the wall power that will scare any sport compact guy. In the relm of new cars I like things like the Chevy SSR, 2K5 retro Mustang, Dodge RT-10 500HP muscle truck, etc. I am in no way saying that Tpyotas and VW are bad cars....they are very good relieable cars but they are just not my style. [Smile] My uncle has a Mazda Miata and it is such a fun car but it just needs some power under the hood. I like the american stuff because it is less expensive to make then run fast plus cheaper to maintain. I respect it all to be honest but am just old school. [Smile]

--------------------
Wrote a song bout it, like to hear it....here it go

Posts: 47 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 03, 2004 08:05      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that I'll be starting real-world employment I'll have to get a car. Problem is, I want to pay cash and I haven't much (any?) on hand, so I'm rather limited in my choices. I used to really want a Jetta, but after hearing my best friend complain about his (and reading DNM's rant), I shan't pursue it.

My mom got a 4-cylinder 2004 Toyota Camry about a year ago; my grandma bought a 6-cylinder 2005 around the same time. They're both sweet cars. After driving 6-cylinder Buicks (1985 Century Wagon and 1990 LeSabre), I didn't expect much from the 4-cylinder, but wow! does it have some "get up and go" and the gas mileage on it puts the LeSabre to shame. For the money I spent on repairs on the LeSabre this year alone I could've purchased an older Camry. [ohwell] Gotta start saving my pennies again so I can get my own.

(Who cares if it's sexy? I just need it to get me from home to work and back again!)

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 03, 2004 09:44      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SimpleMan:
I like the american stuff because it is less expensive to make then run fast plus cheaper to maintain. I respect it all to be honest but am just old school. [Smile]

I don't know about that. Though it is true that I have a grand total of 300.00 us wrapped in my 'vair. Most American cars are not cheap to own or maintain.

1. Fuel, V8 American cars especially 60's are hard on gas. Hell, a well prepped 429 or 454 will only get about 12MPG.

2. Repairs. If you don't know a Crescent wrench from a Phillips then expect to pay to get things done.

4. Initial purchase price. Have you priced a 60's muscle car in decent shape? You can't even get into a good one for less than $6000 now.

I wrench on my own and I hoarde parts for repairs. I also know what I can cross reference to save a buck. If you do not have access to these things then an older American car is not cheaper, so get Hyundai. If you can or have access to friends that can, get whatever.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2004 10:25      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have a Corolla as our commuting car. We bought it new in '95 and have done nothing other than change the oil....It runs great and is easy on gas.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture