homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » PowerMac G4 CPU upgrade

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PowerMac G4 CPU upgrade
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2004 09:25      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm looking into purchasing an upgrade card for the G4 I purchased last week. I've been researching the products that Sonnet makes, more specifically the Sonnet Encore/ST.

Here are my questions:

1. Has anyone here had experience with these and if so, are they worth going after? (Yeah, I've seen the benchmarks and all that but I take all self-promotion with a grain of salt.)

2. I was originally looking at purchasing the 1Ghz version which has a MSRP of $249 but can be purchased for around $215. I've also found a location that is selling the next step up, the 1.2Ghz version which retails for $349 but can be purchased for $299. Is the extra $85 worth it for 200Mhz?

The locations that are currently selling these at the above prices will shortly have none left....so any feedback is greatly appreciated [Smile]

Edit: I forgot to mention the specs of the system I'm looking into upgrading...It's a PowerMac G4 500Mhz Sawtooth "AGP Graphics" with a Gig of RAM...

Edit: My questions about the 1Ghz version vs. the 1.2Ghz version come from my limited experience with Macs (I just feel funny asking questions like that coming from a history of knowing a vastly large amount of information (about PCs) to almost nothing about Macs) [Wink]

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted August 26, 2004 21:38      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool! good luck with that, I've always wondered what an upgrade card would be like in my tower.

A good link for mac upgrade reviews

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
MacGenius
Alpha Geek
Member # 1333

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 01, 2004 11:24      Profile for MacGenius   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watch out.

Some people don't count the [ComputerValue] + [UpgradeCard] + [Other Stuff you add to it] :: < / > / = :: A Faster Computer.

For instance, a Pismo/400 (around $400) plus a Daystar card ($300, I think) will total to $700. $150 more and you have a PowerBook G4/867.

Sometimes it's worth to upgrade though.

Posts: 264 | From: Mars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 01, 2004 21:31      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I received the new processor today [Big Grin]

Installation was simple, and man does this thing scream!! [Smile]

I have one word to describe my experience...

Wow. [Cool]

Macgenius:

Yes, I considered the cost difference between upgrading and getting a new system. I only paid $200 for the system in the first place and after spending $210 for the upgrade I've still paid less than the current street price for the system in it's original configuration. (average price being around $450 on ebay and a bit more elsewhere)

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacGenius
Alpha Geek
Member # 1333

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 11, 2004 02:42      Profile for MacGenius   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool...as I was saying, sometimes it's worth it to upgrade. But you must be very careful...I once bought a 300MHz PowerBook G3, and looked into getting an upgrade card, but I didn't cause it would've totaled $1399 [Eek!] which was low-end Ti territory.
Posts: 264 | From: Mars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nick
Mini Geek
Member # 2413

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2004 05:49      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that sweet spidy. I plan on doing the same to my comp. but I am at a lower speed tehn you started. i also wonder if there are any fellow geeks with a copy of OS 10.2 I really need it. I can't even use wings. I am running 10.1.5 please help me...

--------------------
~Blade

Posts: 89 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture