homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Hey Geologists.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hey Geologists.
Ti
Assimilated
Member # 941

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted August 21, 2004 00:14      Profile for Ti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recently went to Lake Powell Utah and saw This Rock but everyone on the trip had no clue on how it was formed. The picture shows half of the rock, it split down the center and there is an inverted version of the same pattern on the other half.

Any ideas on how it was formed?

Posts: 377 | From: Sunnyvale, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dunjamon
Mini Geek
Member # 2701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2004 04:59      Profile for dunjamon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could be columnar jointing, I know that Utah has a history of volcanoes. So it could be basalt or some other igneous rock which has been extruded from depth.

I'll shut up now

--------------------
Computers may be twice as fast as they were in 1973 but your average voter is as drunk and stupid as ever.

Posts: 77 | From: Manchester England | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2004 05:50      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dunjamon:
Could be columnar jointing, I know that Utah has a history of volcanoes. So it could be basalt or some other igneous rock which has been extruded from depth.

Doubt it. Columnar jointing is only usually present in large intrusions (so they cool down evenly thus forming the joints) so they wouldn't be localised to a single rock like that - you'd see the rest of the intrusion around it. Also I'd expect them to at least show some hexagonal shape.

As to what they are? Not sure. First thought was desiccation cracks where mud dries up leaving gaps which are infilled with sediment, but in that case it would normally be the darker rocks filling the gaps between the light brown parts. That could be the inverted pattern on the other half of the rock, and this one is a cast? Other than that, it could be man made?

A scale for the picture would help a little if you've got one Ti [Smile]

Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted August 21, 2004 06:25      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's obviously some kind of marshmallow dessert. Looks like the baker used a little too much hardener in the Jello.
Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture