homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Lord of The Root

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lord of The Root
Jonathan
Geek
Member # 2724

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted August 15, 2004 10:59      Profile for Jonathan   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what the lord of the root means, can someone tell me what it is from the non-nerds view?
Posts: 147 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 15, 2004 11:20      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Either your memory is shit, or you like asking the same question over and over again.

Try paying attention.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
dunjamon
Mini Geek
Member # 2701

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted August 16, 2004 03:34      Profile for dunjamon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like how you incorporated Micro$oft into LOTR in your previous post Spungo.

--------------------
Computers may be twice as fast as they were in 1973 but your average voter is as drunk and stupid as ever.

Posts: 77 | From: Manchester England | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2004 06:30      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've still not seen ANY of the Lord of the Rings movies.

Before I start getting flamed, read on. [Big Grin]

I read the first two books back in grade 8 or so. I did like them, quite a bit, but I don't remember them.

I've heard /so/ many people say "the book is better than the movie." not just about Tolkien's books, either, about every movie that was ever based on a book pretty much.

As such, I am going to read the entire trilogy end-to-end before I even consider watching the movies.

Thus far, I'm about 3/4's of the way through the first book, and it's pretty damned good. The first 150 pages or so was very boring though. The story of Bilbo's departure. Set up for Frodo's quest, etc.

For once I'll be able to see what all the fuss is about when people talk book vs. movie.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
knaveofspades
Newbie Larva
Member # 2885

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2004 18:18      Profile for knaveofspades     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh certainly, drunkennewfiemidget, you must see the movies. However, you are wise in reading the books first and the movies would negate the experience if seen first. The movies are,however, excellent cinematic triumphs and merit viewing.
Posts: 5 | From: Duluth, Minnesota-the boring north | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2004 07:21      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still find myself wondering how they're going to portray a lot of the stories into movie though -- a vast majority of the book are thoughts, and descriptions. I know a picture's worth a thousand words, and at 30fps, that's a lot of words, but without the detailed description Tolkien gives of anything, each book could probably easily been taken from 500 to 150-200 pages.

That, and I sincerely hope there isn't as much singing in the movies as there is in the book. :|

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2004 09:08      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as you remember that a movie is not a book. I shake my head in despair at all those /. whingers who moan about all the changes made for the films - if you want the 100% real thing - read the feckin' book! It was much the same with Catch-22 - both were good, but for different reasons. You have to suspend what you know to really enjoy both.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2004 11:40      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh.. that would certainly help things.

I didn't know. I thought the books were adapted as closely as possible to the movies.

Who knows, I guess I'll learn after I'm done reading and actually watch them.

The books are quite good thus far.

DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2004 12:01      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
...I didn't know. I thought the books were adapted as closely as possible to the movies...

Hmmm, I hope you meant that the other way round. That you thought the movies were adapted as closely as possible to the books.

The movies are fantastic, in fact probably as true to the books as movies could get. But by reading the books first, you will notice "gaps" in the story, and wonder why isn't this person here, or why is this other person there, and why isn't this a scene in the movie. If they would have shown everything that could possibly have been shown from the books, the movies would have been at least twice as long. so it's probably best that they didn't try to put everything in.

It's good that you are reading the books first, since you should also get more out of the movies from your readings.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2004 12:02      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm. Oops. That's absolutely what I meant. Typo, and no sense in correcting it now, since it's quoted the wrong way around. [Big Grin]
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2004 22:45      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like you dnm I think I read the books years ago, I just can't remember. Cosmic bong perhaps? Truth be told I was always an avid reader. I think I have read easily a thousand books in my life time, if not more. So now certain stories run into each other.

edit: I did end up reading the trilogy (again?) recently and enjoyed it a lot.

As far as a comparison between book and film. It was as close as a film can really get. It is true that they did do some judicious "trimming" in the movie. However it was not so much that it detracted from the story. Unfortunately, you missed out on seeing them on the big screen which in my opinion is the best way to view the trilogy. I hate sitting in theatres for that long but visually a TV cannot do the movies justice.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2004 08:31      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've found that my htpc through a 9a60 into my 52" widescreen in the basement with the lights off gives me a better-than-theatre feel in most occasions.

Not only does it look better, I can eat candy for less than $4/box while I do it too!

Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted August 21, 2004 08:36      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
Not only does it look better, I can eat candy for less than $4/box while I do it too!

And another advantage is that you can pause it and go to the loo during the "Is this the ending? No, is this the ending? No, is this the ending? ..." saga that finishes TROTK [Wink]
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aves Corax
Mini Geek
Member # 2533

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2004 15:09      Profile for Aves Corax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stibbons:
And another advantage is that you can pause it and go to the loo during the "Is this the ending? No, is this the ending? No, is this the ending? ..." saga that finishes TROTK [Wink]

That's the change in a nutshell. If it doesn't have to do with the quest to destroy the One Ring, and even if it does but is unimportant, it's not in the movie. Usually that wasn't a big deal, especially for those people who had never read the books. But Return of the King goes on for quite a while after the destruction of Sauron, and the movie skips all of that, so when you expect the movie to end, it jumps to another "ending", and then, if I recall correctly, does that once or twice more. Quite confusing to those people who hadn't read the books.

--------------------
"Be ye not lost among precepts of order."
The Principia Discordia

Posts: 65 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2004 17:43      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm betting that the whole multiple ending thing will be made more comprehensible in the extended edition, when they finally get around to releasing it. Not going to be until December now, so I've heard.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture