homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » I have a very dumb printer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I have a very dumb printer
Raging Dragon
Geek-in-Training
Member # 2812

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted July 19, 2004 17:18      Profile for Raging Dragon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My printer will not print! It thinks that the ink cartridges are empty, and I just had them filled! I've made sure they are placed in properly and it still won't work. I'm thinking about cleaning the back of the cartridges and the inside of the printer holster with a Q-tip and some rubbing alchohol. Does anyone have any advice for me?

--------------------
There is nothing like what I have become.

Posts: 35 | From: Victoria BC | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Raging Dragon
Geek-in-Training
Member # 2812

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2004 17:44      Profile for Raging Dragon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I realize I may have not given enough information.

I've been turning the power off to maintain my printer. It's a HP 843cxe that's a couple years old. I turn it on, and it gives me the light saying it has no ink. My computer and printer are properly connected and the drivers are updated. This is purely a hardware problem (I think.) I've checked the HP website and followed their instructions for cleaning out my cartridges and it's still not working... and I need to print stuff. [Frown]

--------------------
There is nothing like what I have become.

Posts: 35 | From: Victoria BC | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2004 17:46      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't suppose it's one of these "smart" ones that detects refilled cartridges and doesn't accept them (in order to sell more cartridges)

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2004 17:47      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As troll-like as this may sound, I'm going to say it anyway. Printers nowadays are a dime a dozen. Especially inkjet, which is what I'm assuming you have since you're talking about just having had the ink cartridges refilled.

On top of that, maybe the cartridges aren't really supposed to be refilled, and can't tell the printer they're fine.

I'm not a printer geek, but I'd guess you're probably outta luck.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Number 2608
Mini Geek
Member # 2608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2004 01:07      Profile for Number 2608     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have found with a lot of HP printers that once they have been upset by something they need to be disconnected from their power supply (pull the mains cord out, don't just turn the printer off on its own power switch) and left for a couple of hours before being plugged back in. Nine times out of ten this will resolve whatever issues they are having and they will behave themselves again. There is probably a proper reset method for these printers which will be a lot quicker than just leaving it unplugged, but I have never got round to looking it up.
Posts: 82 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2004 11:31      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was hoping that when you said your printer was dumb, you meant it in a way that means the printer doesn't know what's going on, or what's connected to it, like the old dot matrix printers that you could hook up to a protocol analyzer and print, then hook up to an oscilloscope and print some more and it didn't care.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2004 11:56      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dot matrix printers are the best.. You tell them to do something, and they damn well do it. They don't complain about anything. lack of ink? tough titties for you. paper jam? tough. it's cramming it in there as long as the motor is strong enough to move it.

hooked up to a car battery? DOESNT CARE, ITS PRINTING!

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture