homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Morally acceptable?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Morally acceptable?
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted July 18, 2004 19:34      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would it be morally acceptable if I took some Ammonium Nitrate fertilizer, some Ammonium Chloride, and a shitload of zinc, put it in a bunch of pill capsules and slipped them inside of someones swimming trunks?

It's somebody I really don't like, as some of you may be able to tell just by my mentioning that chemical combination.

Edit: I thought I'd add that this a joke before I look like a troll ... again.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2004 19:49      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Short answer: no.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted July 18, 2004 20:22      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Longer answer:
No way [Wink]

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2004 20:34      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Political Answer:
If you can get away with it, who cares if it's moral?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2004 20:42      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um.. no

Could be interesting to watch though.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2004 20:52      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WWCVD? [Big Grin]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2004 21:03      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
WWCVD? [Big Grin]

Read my mind [Big Grin]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Number 2608
Mini Geek
Member # 2608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2004 01:46      Profile for Number 2608     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This all depends on what is meant by 'moral'. Philosophically, it is usually understood that something that is 'moral' is acceptable to the individual, as opposed to something that is 'ethical' which is something acceptable to the group.

So, WRT your question, what you are suggesting is in all likelihood going to be unethical, but the morality of such an act is down to your own personal feelings. Therefore if you think that doing this is OK, go ahead and do it and feel morally justified in your actions [Big Grin] .

PS I know next to nothing about chemistry, but I am guessing that what you are suggesting will have nasty consequences for the the targeted individual but will be a source of great amusement for any observers.

Posts: 82 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2004 07:06      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For us not so chemically-inclined geeks... what would that particular mixture create?
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2004 07:14      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A trip to the hospital. Quite possibly for Taco too, if he screws up in the making of this concoction.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2004 07:23      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it a recipe for anything specific, or just a series of very bad chemicals mixed together?
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2004 09:34      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Explosives. Making explosives out of ammonium nitrate based fertilisers and zinc rods just to be a past time of the chemistry geeks in the "olden days" [Wink] , though now the fertilisers sold in Western countries are much harder to make into weapons. Though it still happens in LEDCs. You see it occasionally on the news, where a Transit packed with fertiliser is used to [try and] blow up a building etc.
Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted July 19, 2004 10:07      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Too Cool To Quit:
Would it be morally acceptable if I took some Ammonium Nitrate fertilizer, some Ammonium Chloride, and a shitload of zinc, put it in a bunch of pill capsules and slipped them inside of someones swimming trunks?

It's somebody I really don't like, as some of you may be able to tell just by my mentioning that chemical combination.

That kind of talk will get GWB to 'smoke you outta yer hole'

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aves Corax
Mini Geek
Member # 2533

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2004 11:42      Profile for Aves Corax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That depends. Normally killing people with a swimming pool might be considered unethical, or at the very least impolite, but if you're doing the species a favor by removing said individual from the swimming and/or gene pools, then perhaps it's for the better.

PS: I wouldn't try that arguement in court unless the judge and the jury all happen to be philosophy majors, but good luck anyway.

--------------------
"Be ye not lost among precepts of order."
The Principia Discordia

Posts: 65 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
DisasterWalking
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2878

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted August 08, 2004 12:48      Profile for DisasterWalking   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ow. i don't think i want to go swimming any more this summer.

---------------
I've done the calculation and your chances of winning the lottery are identical whether you play or or not. -Fran Lebowitz

--------------------
sandersonns

Posts: 3 | From: Maryland | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2004 14:08      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Xanth and Tut on this one, Taco. Hurting someone with explosives isn't the way to get revenge, though it is a bit more interesting than just challenging them to a fist fight after school.

I'm sure you're smart enough to think of an easier, safer, and above all legal way to settle your personal issues...

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 09, 2004 14:20      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Flashfire:
Hurting someone with explosives isn't the way to get revenge...

Quite right. You wanna get some power tools - apply a sander to their groinal area. That oughta do it.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
knaveofspades
Newbie Larva
Member # 2885

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2004 18:32      Profile for knaveofspades     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
er...while it would be incredibly funny in, say, a movie, and several people who also dislike that particular person would likely buy tickets to the spectacle, you could get both jail and hostpital, so i'm thinkin' that thats a no.
Posts: 5 | From: Duluth, Minnesota-the boring north | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2004 19:54      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to ask, guys--guess I must've stayed in my own world for too long [Razz] --but who or what is CV? (I get the WW and D parts of WWCVD but "Curriculum vitae" just doesn't fit the scenario!)

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2004 20:24      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Sorry to ask, guys--guess I must've stayed in my own world for too long [Razz] --but who or what is CV? (I get the WW and D parts of WWCVD but "Curriculum vitae" just doesn't fit the scenario!)

Someone please correct me if I am wrong. I think it stands for Capn' Vic.

This is a twisted variant on the WWJD theme.
http://www.tshirthell.com/shirts/tshirt.php?sku=a64
Be careful though the site is definitely into being offensive.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2004 21:17      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh, let me explain some GC history to you. Back, sometime or another, I decided that a troll needed some attending to, so I served a reasonably severe tongue-lashing . In the aftermath, I then explained I was taking after Cap'n Vic's method of putting trolls in their place, hence the WWCVD. I've heard that it's rumoured to be added to the lexicon for the next JOT publication [Wink]

Now, your homework is to work out the origin of people asking for pictures of people's butts (it's not just because we're a bunch of pervs)

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 19, 2004 22:19      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
Now, your homework is to work out the origin of people asking for pictures of people's butts (it's not just because we're a bunch of pervs)

[evil] Speak for yourself [evil]

Which reminds me......we never did get that 'arse pic album' going, did we?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2004 01:46      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
[evil] Speak for yourself [evil]

Which reminds me......we never did get that 'arse pic album' going, did we?

Noper, but we did have one of legs goin for a while...
Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture