homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » iBook G3 and OS X 10.3

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: iBook G3 and OS X 10.3
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted July 14, 2004 19:59      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay... let's see...

I have a 12" G3 iBook (the white cased one) and I'm trying to install Mac OS X 10.3 on it. It's possible, right??? Everything I've read says that 10.3 works on it.

The problem I'm having, though, is that I can't get the iBook to boot off the install CD. I run the "Upgrade to MacOS X 10.3" application and click "Restart" and it restarts and boots off the hard drive. I hold down the C key during boot, and it gives me the alternating questionmark-and-MacOS-Logo-on-a-folder icon until I let go of the C key and it boots from the hard drive. I've reset OpenFirmware, although, thinking about it, I havn't reset the PRAM. Hrmm.. maybe that's next, but it still doesn't seem right. I can boot off of the 10.0.3 install disc that came with it just fine and I can boot off the Software Restore CD's just fine. Also, the 10.3 CD will boot other Macs.

What is going on?! Can I install 10.3 without booting from the CD somehow? I have 10.0.4 on there right now (and it suxxors!). HELP!

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2004 20:07      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it an original disk? Sometimes I've found some cd drives to be finiky about booting from some burns (which is really weird), ie, if i burn a gentoo live disk using my TDK media, it won't boot the lombard, but if i use the nameless stuff i have, it will.
fanboy_uk

Member # 2132

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 14, 2004 23:58      Profile for fanboy_uk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you installing it as an up-grade or have you reformatted and installing as if new?
/re-reads original post
I'm guessing by what you said that you are just upgrading.

Have you got access to an external hard drive?
When I installed I did a complete reformat (made sure I archived all data on gf's eMac first).

Since then I have not had many problems, it seems to be a lot more stable than 2.8, though I have recently been having problems with Mail, which quits but doesn't! You have to Force Quit.

--------------------
A woman walked into a cocktail bar, took one look at the drinks menu and asked the barman for a Double Entendré.
So he gave her one

Posts: 161 | From: Brighton, UK (50.8389, -00.1876) | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2004 07:54      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tut-an-Geek:
Is it an original disk? Sometimes I've found some cd drives to be finiky about booting from some burns (which is really weird), ie, if i burn a gentoo live disk using my TDK media, it won't boot the lombard, but if i use the nameless stuff i have, it will.

Original disc, yes, right down to the Apple(r) Logo.* I tried it on another iBook of the same stature, and it still wouldn't boot it, but again, it boots fine on other Macs.

quote:
Originally posted by fanboy_uk:
Are you installing it as an up-grade or have you reformatted and installing as if new?
/re-reads original post
I'm guessing by what you said that you are just upgrading.

Have you got access to an external hard drive?
When I installed I did a complete reformat (made sure I archived all data on gf's eMac first).

Since then I have not had many problems, it seems to be a lot more stable than 2.8, though I have recently been having problems with Mail, which quits but doesn't! You have to Force Quit.

I'm upgrading, yes, and the CD's I'm using to do it are *upgrade only* discs, that is, you need to have a copy of OS X on the drive already before you can install this. This seems to be a booting issue, not an installation issue. The installation issues will happen after I can actually boot the damn CD. [Wink]

Does anyone know if there was a firmware update for these buggers?? I can't seem to locate one on the Apple site, but I also can't find the tub of margarine in the fridge when it's right in front of me. [Wink]

*Apple, the Apple Logo, MacOS, MacOS X, iBook, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer Inc. and are used without permission in this post.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted July 15, 2004 08:56      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If there was a firmware update, you would have been prompted to do it before rebooting, I believe.

You've reset the PRAM? Tried booting off of CD by holding down option and selecting it?

fanboy_uk

Member # 2132

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2004 11:26      Profile for fanboy_uk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When did you purchase the iBook?
It may be the logic board. The early G3 iBooks had problems, mine did.
I had to send it back to get the board replaced.

Apple have extended the warranty on some, so I guess not all have gone wrong yet!

--------------------
A woman walked into a cocktail bar, took one look at the drinks menu and asked the barman for a Double Entendré.
So he gave her one

Posts: 161 | From: Brighton, UK (50.8389, -00.1876) | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2004 11:47      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I didn't buy it, I acquired it from someplace that was upgrading and didn't want it anymore. It's the iBook (Dual USB) if that helps. It only has 64MB of RAM as well (I plan to yank 128MB from my PowerBook G3 ShitStreet... err uhm... WallStreet), but that shouldn't keep it from at least *attemping* to load the CD... right??

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

GVCarroll
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1346

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2004 14:07      Profile for GVCarroll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I run X on my 500mHz G3 iBook and it runs fine. Not blazing but it works. 64MB of RAM is entirely too little however. 92MB is too little (I tried it on my mom's iMac, RAM was maxed out on bootup).
128MB is minimal required for it to run smoothly.

I run it with I think 384MB or somesuch (don't have it in front of me at the moment) and that seems to be enough for basic work.

If they're upgrade CDs they won't boot the system from startup. [weep]

Posts: 30 | From: Maine | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2004 14:34      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GVCarroll:
If they're upgrade CDs they won't boot the system from startup. [weep]

Why not? Restaring is part of the upgrade process and if I can't boot to the CD then I can't upgrade!! WHAAAA!

But, mostly the "why not?" part...

*scratches his chin curiously*

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture