homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » G4 Won't sleep properly

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: G4 Won't sleep properly
gizmo53
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2409

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2004 14:11      Profile for gizmo53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Normally I can figure this stuff out, but this stuff I can't. I'm running 10.3.4 on my G4 MDD, and it won't properly 'sleep'. The HD spins down, the screen shuts off, however some of the fans wont stop spinning and the power button doesn't pulse. Whats wrong, and what can I do?

--------------------
Any security that is based upon secrets eventually fails -Steve Jobs

Posts: 17 | From: Darien, CT | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted June 20, 2004 14:22      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My MDD (10.3.4) seems to sleep fine.

here's some stuff i found online in a quick search...
---
Some user have reported intermittent problems with getting their Mac to go into a normal sleep mode. The solution is to open the Print & Fax pane of System Preferences and uncheck the "receive faxes on this computer" box. Having fax reception enabled prevents your Macinosh from going into sleep mode normally.
----------

bunch of info here:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=30894

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20040618080218686

good luck

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2004 14:22      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Likelyhood is that you have a device installed that is configured to only operate at full power. This is probably a PCI card. Did you just install a new PCI card and/or update PCI card drivers?
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2004 14:41      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Give it a cup of cocoa, and read it a bedtime story.

Oh yes and give it a kiss goodnight.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
gizmo53
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2409

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2004 20:08      Profile for gizmo53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tut-an-Geek:
Likelyhood is that you have a device installed that is configured to only operate at full power. This is probably a PCI card. Did you just install a new PCI card and/or update PCI card drivers?

Err... I just installed a new firewire card (I coudln't wait for apple to fix the iSight+iPod problem), but I dont know if that would make any problems. Oh yeah, and I don't recieve faxes here. in fact, I custom-ordered my G4 tower to not have a modem, since I would never use it (yay for pdf printing!)

--------------------
Any security that is based upon secrets eventually fails -Steve Jobs

Posts: 17 | From: Darien, CT | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2004 20:21      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gizmo53:
quote:
Originally posted by Tut-an-Geek:

Err... I just installed a new firewire card (I coudln't wait for apple to fix the iSight+iPod problem), but I dont know if that would make any problems. Oh yeah, and I don't recieve faxes here. in fact, I custom-ordered my G4 tower to not have a modem, since I would never use it (yay for pdf printing!)
Try taking out the card and see what happens...
MacGenius
Alpha Geek
Member # 1333

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 27, 2004 04:50      Profile for MacGenius   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tut's is good advice. Once I installed 4 PCI cards in my Quicksilver, then realized it wouldn't sleep. I have forgotten about PCI cards preventing sleep (though I knew of it) and looked like an idiot when I asked some guys what the matter was. [Wink]

However, my MDD doesn't have any PCI cards, and it takes 4 minutes to go to sleep. What's up with that? [Confused]

Posts: 264 | From: Mars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacGenius
Alpha Geek
Member # 1333

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted August 18, 2004 12:10      Profile for MacGenius   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok I got it...bad system software
Posts: 264 | From: Mars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture