homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » AMDs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: AMDs
FatGnome
Highlie
Member # 1068

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2004 14:19      Profile for FatGnome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok I know... I know I haven't been around much and yall like your macs but I have an important question... kinda

AMD has their chips and I can't find the information I want with a quick google search so here it goes. Is there a big enough differance in performance between the athlon 64s and the athlon 64 FXs to warent the $300 price differance? I am not sure if it is a vast improvement or not. Right now I am running on an amd Athlon XP 3000 400 and was wondering if an upgrade to an Athlon 64 3200 is a big upgrade or just a waste of time. Anyway anyone have any thoughts?

--------------------
What a complete and utter waste of time to read my Signature don't you think?

Posts: 559 | From: Idaho | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 3 posted May 11, 2004 21:55      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the difference is in what the chip is used for

servers vs workstations (your typical desktop pc)

and, if you think you want to go to 64bit, realize you will need a new mainboard - and that starts around $150 last i checked

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Crimson Rider
Geek Larva
Member # 2709

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2004 02:07      Profile for Crimson Rider     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But well worth it, I recently build a AMD64 based computer for a friend of mine (yeah I'm a bit jealous now) and that baby plain old rocks.

Fast, stable, and nice to look at as well.

--------------------
Code, justify, code - Pitr Dubovich

Posts: 20 | From: Netherlands | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
FatGnome
Highlie
Member # 1068

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2004 16:27      Profile for FatGnome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I am looking at spending around 2-2.5 grand on a new computer and the AMD 64s look like a solid chip. Suposedly SP2 for Win XP is going to support 64 bit processing somewhat as well. I am not looking at building a cheap PC as you can tell. I was just wondering if there was a big differance between the regular Athlon 64's and the Athlon 64 FX.

Anyway I am going 64 bit processor either way. Asus mother board because I have never had a problem with them in the past. And pc3200 Ram (a gig of course) I will be using 2 80 gig SATA RAID. (These are the basics as I already have some of the stuff.) My current PC will become a server once the new computer is built.

Posts: 559 | From: Idaho | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2004 17:31      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why spend that much on a PC?

Todays 'power machine' is tomorrows $499 K-mart special. You'd be far better off buying a mid-range PC now, and using the money you save to buy another mid-range machine next year, when mid-range means 6 gHz/2Gig Ram/500G HD

Remember, Moores Law is your friend.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2004 07:17      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
he's right, 2-large IS a bit too much to dump into a pc

however, DO stay with the 64bit system board in either single or dual cpu, as it's still gonna kick every 32bit comp's ass

do go with SATA drives, max it out with as much ram as the board can handle, and if the board you choose has pciexpress slots, get the best vid you can afford for it - otherwise get a radeon 9800 pro 128mb card, and mod the bios to a 9800XT

these days, onboard sound is pretty good, so save $ and don't get an extra card for it, same as well for network

not much else you need in that for a gaming system [Smile]

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

maven
Geek-in-Training
Member # 2714

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2004 13:11      Profile for maven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm currently planning on building a server using dual-opterons (model 244) with the 1M L2 Cache, and an AMD-8000 Chipset board with onboard sound, 4 SATA, 1 AGP 8x, 3-4 PCI-x, 2 PCI, 2 IDE, 1 floppy, USB, USB 2x, IEEE 1394, and ethernet logic. here are the peripherals - 52x32x52x burner, a DVD BurnPlex, a v92 modem (for SSH), 4 gigs of PC3200 DDR, an Antec tower case with a 550W power supply, a floppy drive (of course), Jaz drive, tape drive, a 74-gig 10k rpm SATA (for the OS), plus 3 200-gig SATA drives, a Radeon 9800XT (to utilize onboard RAM), 2 gigabit NICs (2 for fault-tolerance), and probably a 19" KDS monitor.

this, my friends, is going to be a file and print server. basically i'm trying to acheive a system with no lag whatsoever. i'm attaching it to my gigabit switch, but not my 10/100 switch (as it will not be on the internet). now, this is overkill for a f/p server, but i have about 15 computers that'll be accessing it, with more to come. it helps with development during those sleepless nights where you and 7 of your buddies are pounding away with code, testing software, passing large 3d models back and forth, etc. etc. etc. not that this really justifies it. i'm just a power-hog.

the beauty part about this is, i'm putting linux on it. this machine will truly be a BEAST!!

sorry, we were on the topic of 64-bit, etc. and i just couldn't bottle that.

anyhoo, to address your initial question: no, the cost difference isn't justifiable, and usually isn't. if it's a must-have part, then wait until an upgrade is released. the price on the latest part is usually the same, with previous parts bumped down in cost.

for instance, right now a 9800XT retails for about 500 bucks. i'm not going to purchase it until it goes down to 250-ish (which should happen in a few months). i'm also waiting for memory prices to come back down from their recent spike. if i were to complete this system today, it'd cost me over $4500. i'm waiting until these prices come down to about 2500-3000 before i build it.

if you're just wondering whether the price difference in the jump to 64-bit processors is worth it; believe me, it is. but for god's sake, man. don't put windows on it! you'll ruin it! find yourself a copy of fedora core 2 when it's released. you'll feel much better.

--------------------
"Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance."

Posts: 32 | From: East Peoria, IL | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 4 posted May 17, 2004 16:02      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maven:
for instance, right now a 9800XT retails for about 500 bucks. i'm not going to purchase it until it goes down to 250-ish (which should happen in a few months). ....

quote:
Originally posted by -ct-:
otherwise get a radeon 9800 pro 128mb card, and mod the bios to a 9800XT

[Smile]

well, unless you get a board with PCIExpress slots and no AGP
then you'd have to make a differetn decision

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture