homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » wipadisk

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: wipadisk
cheezi git
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2004 08:51      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, so my lovely pile-o-shit lap top crashed last week, and i lost all the stuff i'd worked on in the 2 weeks since i last backed stuff up.

there's probably a whole load of crap on hard drive, since now i don't have any software that's protecting it all sorts of weird stuff is happening, like popups every 30 seconds, can't download anything, printer doesn't work etc.

so finished whining.

here's the question: how do i blank the c drive, without damaging it? i've tried formatting in the command line, but it won't let me.

any ideas (apart from putting it next to the magnetic plate in my head)

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2004 08:57      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take that Knoppix disc I gave you, and boot the laptop up to it [Smile] . Then, do the following:
# wipe /dev/hda

[Wait *many* hours]
Then for good measure, as I found 'wipe' didn't work entirely to my satisfaction:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda
[That will write a nice little '0' to every spot the the HD]

And if you're really paranoid, follow that up with:
# dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/hda
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda

P.S. You may want to actually use Knoppix to recover any data you haven't backed up yet, *before* nuking the HD [Wink] . I mean, if you're in GUI mode, just click on the HD icons that show up on the desktop [Smile] . Also, to run these commands, you'll need to be root - you can do this many ways in Knoppix:
a. K Menu -> KNOPPIX -> Root shell
b. From a konsole, type `su` and I don't think it'll even ask for a password
c. Use one of the ttys (1-4), getting there via CTRL-ALT-F1 [or F2-F4]
d. Just do what I do, and boot up with `knoppix 2` at the first boot prompt [Big Grin] .

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2004 09:40      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Take that Knoppix disc I gave you, and boot the laptop up to it [Smile] . Then, do the following:

thanks dman that's brilliant!

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2004 07:34      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cheezi git:
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

thanks dman that's brilliant!
Sure beats paying $30 for something like this

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2004 07:44      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Superscrubber? Wasn't that the nickname they gave to that Aussie hooker who Beckham supposedly slept with [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture