homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Q for the Aussies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Q for the Aussies
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2004 10:59      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does the Tasmanian Tiger still exist?

That is it.

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2004 11:28      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not Aussie, but I've heard that they are. I remember seeing a film clip of the last one in a zoo. It was really sad. Why people kill things like that is beyond me. The Parks and Wildlife page for the state of Tasmania has info. They're still not sure if they are completely extinct. I hope they still exist.
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2004 12:34      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2004 12:52      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not Australian, but I do know a little about cryptozoology (the fancy way to say monster-hunting), so I can tell you what I read:

The last real, live Thylocine (Tasmanian Tiger), died early in the 20th century, sometime around 192-something (I think, I'm too lazy to look up the exact date, please correct me if I'm wrong), in an Aussie zoo. However, since then, Thylocines have been glimpsed all over Tasmania, but never caught. Think about 'em like a marsupial bigfoot -- lots of blurry photos and footprint evidence, but no actual animals.

In the 1970's and 80's, there was a rash of Thylocine sightings on the mainland of Australia, too.

So, I guess your answer would be -- maybe.

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2004 12:57      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Too Cool To Quit:

B?
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2004 14:39      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flashfires got it pretty right.

There's been about as many sightings of panthers as thylacines in recent years, and not a single verifiable scrap of evidence of either. They've even DNA tested some lumps of shit, no luck.

While it's possible for largeish predators to exist near humans without getting caught (you'd be surprised how many foxes there are in central Melbourne) they do leave traces, shit, footprints, and the remains of their kills. The alleged thylacines have left none.

There was some talk of cloning one, using tissue samples from museums.....

[edit]
The sad thing is, right up until the end, the Tasmanian government were paying a bounty for each thylacine pelt.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mister Boo

Member # 1419

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted April 13, 2004 15:08      Profile for Mister Boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the only Thylacine I know of: Thylacine Cycles [crazy]

Peace and Love,
Bill

--------------------
Geekculture's Original Boo

Posts: 314 | From: Naugatuck, CT | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2004 15:36      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, what they said. There was an April Fools article that said that they successfully regenerated one from DNA, but there also seems to be serious articles suggesting that researchers are trying to do just that.

On a vaguely related note, I learnt something new last night talking to some friends. There are actually wild dingos in some parts of Sydney. (For those not in the know, a dingo is a sort of wild dog. There was a big stir years ago when a couple had their baby stolen by one, the debate at the time was over whether they murdered her, or she really was stolen. They were found innocent, and most people seem to blame the dingo these days. Plus it set off one of the best(first) set of macabre jokes I can remember).

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2004 15:41      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
(For those not in the know, a dingo is a sort of wild dog. There was a big stir years ago when a couple had their baby stolen by one, the debate at the time was over whether they murdered her, or she really was stolen. They were found innocent, and most people seem to blame the dingo these days.

The dingo was framed !

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 10 posted April 13, 2004 16:29      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Cry in the Dark - Elaine makes a corny comment to a woman at a party after she repeatedly mentions her fiancee. She keeps saying "I have lost my fiancee, What happened to my poor baby." Elaine responds with "maybe the Dingo ate your baby." This is a reference to the Meryl Steep movie A Cry in the Dark which entails what happens when a woman's baby is kidnapped by dogs in Australia.

Dingo 17

Woman: Are you going upstairs? Tell my fiancé I'm looking for him. I have
lost my fiancé, the poor baby.

Julia Louis-Dreyfus: "Maybe the dingo ate your baby."

Woman: "What?"

Louis-Dreyfus: "The dingo ate your baby."

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2004 19:29      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a question for the Aussies too.

I saw this in a random facts thing "A fire in Australia has been burning for more than 2,000 years."... two questions, Really? and Where?

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2004 20:06      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I saw this in a random facts thing "A fire in Australia has been burning for more than 2,000 years."... two questions, Really? and Where?

Never heard of it.

<pure speculation>
Perhaps an underground fire in a coal seam somewhere?
</pure speculation>

--------------------

cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2004 23:23      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i saw this random facts thing
"an ant in australia can drive taxis from the sea to the city..."
two questions, really? and where?

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2004 23:27      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

just google "A fire in Australia has been burning for more than 2,000 years" and the first entry is:

http://www4.nationalacademies.org/news.nsf/isbn/s10062003g?OpenDocument

with the commment: "...One fire eating deep into an Australian peak called Burning Mountain is believed to have been going strong for 2,000 years..."

are you really very lazy, or just too stupid?

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2004 23:43      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cheezi git:
quote:

just google "A fire in Australia has been burning for more than 2,000 years" and the first entry is:

with the commment: "...One fire eating deep into an Australian peak called Burning Mountain is believed to have been going strong for 2,000 years..."

well someone seems to be a bit touchy today.
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2004 05:06      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by -ct-:
A Cry in the Dark - Elaine makes a corny comment to a woman at a party after she repeatedly mentions her fiancee. She keeps saying "I have lost my fiancee, What happened to my poor baby." Elaine responds with "maybe the Dingo ate your baby." This is a reference to the Meryl Steep movie A Cry in the Dark which entails what happens when a woman's baby is kidnapped by dogs in Australia.

Which is based on the true story I was talking about before (the Chamberlain case).

There's always
"What does a dingo call a baby in a pram?"
"Meals on wheels"

And I hadn't heard about that old fire thing til now, either.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2004 09:15      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cheezi git:
quote:

Really very lazy.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture