homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Coffee Makers?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Coffee Makers?
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2004 13:28      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm moving into my new room soon, and it's far away from any coffee pots that I may leech off of, so I told my dad that I'm getting a coffee maker... he said if I do that I'll never leave my room, I replied to him "Nor do I intend to", so, I have no idea what to look for in a coffee maker. Not really on a budget or anything, but I like this one. Was also the cheapest one I could find...

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted March 26, 2004 14:29      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our experience with a Hamilton Beach.

It is still going strong, years later. [Smile]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2004 14:44      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hm, so, that one I linked to, it's a Hamilton Beach, it's cheap, and it does something I've always wanted in a coffee maker, a dispenser!! I think I'm going to go with it, dunno yet... any suggestions as to any good coffees? I go with Maxwell House right now. False advertising, it's good till the last mL.. [Smile]

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted March 26, 2004 14:58      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ones with the built-in caraffe thingy are nice, since they keep the coffee warm without burning it. (after a half hour or so, coffee gets yukky if left on the warmer).

I'm really into expresso decafe now... i've switched from 15 cups a day of full strength caffinated coffee to this decafe expresso... it really good. I just started mixing them , more and more of the decafe over a couple of weeks. Now I only have about 1 or two scoops of caffinated coffee a day and don't miss out on the favour of the real stuff.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz [Wink]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2004 15:52      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife got that coffee maker for xmas and has been overall happy with it. She uses it to brew tea. Keep in mind though this is not a thermal carafe so the coffe will be cooking in it just like a regular coffee maker. The price has really dropped since xmas!

For coffee I use this Braun coffee maker with a gold filter and have been very pleased with it. I do not leave it on for more than 2 hours at a time. As far as coffe I use either Starbucks or Millstone brand french roast beans and grind them fresh daily. You couldn't get me to touch maxwell house, foldgers or any of those that come preground in a can. Yes I am a coffee snob!

And for espresso and cappuchino I use this DeLonghi pump driven espresso maker that uses pods and has a built in milk reservoir for frothed milk without the hassle.

I use these Pods. The quality is great and the price is great most of the time, they can run between $34 - $65 for a box of 150. Right now they are $35.99 so I am ordering more now!

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lithandro
Geek
Member # 2407

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2004 16:02      Profile for Lithandro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I have this one from Gaggia and its pretty much the porsche of cappachino makers as long as you dont mind the price

--------------------
But why is the rum gone?

Posts: 106 | From: Pontefract, UK | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gibbonboy
Geek
Member # 2426

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2004 16:09      Profile for Gibbonboy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a stainless steel Revere percolator for day to day brewing. I've found that it makes great coffee, and keeps it screeching hot without burning it for up to 3 hours.

For really good coffee, like Jamaican Blue Mountain or any other 25-dollar-a-pound coffee, I have a French Press (mm, kinky!). Seriously, I do love the coffee it produces, and it really requires no electricity, just a source of 203 degree water. I even have a Lexan plastic one that I take camping.

--------------------
"It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here."

Posts: 155 | From: A Very Small Hole in the Forest | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2004 16:24      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Us posh b*st*rds have servants to make our coffee...
[Razz]

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
eDJ
Geek
Member # 1950

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2004 16:40      Profile for eDJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use the el cheep-o Proctor Silex A6 07A's now superseded by the 46801 which have the "pause and serve" carafe feature. The simple white 12 cup automatic drip devices work well for me if I run "lime out" or vinegar thru them regularly to keep the mineral build up cleared from the heating element. They generally work well for about six months. A new one will brew 12 cups of coffee in about seven minutes, but in six months may take twenty five or more minutes. The $10 price makes it practicle to replace them often however. I catch them on sale frequently for $7 dollars and buy a couple.

There is merit to having a coffee maker like this
as most people are drawn to the cosmetic beauty
of the expensive units. There is merit to Snaggy's idea to keep a thermous bottle.....in a secluded place such that you can stow most of the fresh coffee to keep as your stash. The rest will evaporate quick enough as your coworkers pass by.

The grand bonus in this scheme is that it frees your resources to buy good coffee and Britta water filters to filter your water before making the coffee. A good water source is key to making good coffee and then the beans themselves.
Keeping your stuff clean will make a big difference in the taste too. In Ohio I have hard mineral rich water.

I'm no stranger to caffeine..speaking as someone who can all but walk on his toenails and shoot sparks from his fingertips by days end. I'll offer this link for those who like their coffee.
It's one of Ohio's little treasures:

sweetmarias.com

eDJ

--------------------
I don't give a shit...I don't take any shit. I'm not in the shit business.

Posts: 131 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
NetwerkGuy
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2475

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2004 17:39      Profile for NetwerkGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had good luck with both Braun and Hamilton Beach.. I would probably stay away from Mr. Coffee just from past experience, I bought a rather expensive Mr. Coffee one time and ended up going back out and buying a cheap Braun which worked better and cost less too..

--------------------
If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut. -- Albert Einstein

Posts: 49 | From: /dev/null | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2004 17:52      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy: 15 cups a day?!?!? You should have gone this route:

-

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2004 22:59      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^^I want one!

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2004 00:58      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you can put me on the list too!!!
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2004 16:36      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibo:
I use these Pods. The quality is great and the price is great most of the time, they can run between $34 - $65 for a box of 150. Right now they are $35.99 so I am ordering more now!

I added them to my cart the other day and forgot to finish the transaction. Went back today and the price has gone up to $39.99, grrrrr. Oh well placed the order before they go back even higher. I paid $49.99 the last time.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture