homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Galactic trader (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Galactic trader
mlcillo
Geek Larva
Member # 2602

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2004 09:18      Profile for mlcillo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need a "geek".There I said it.I wish I knew those guys from the X-files who got there own spin -off for a short while.
I`ve done this amazing body of work that correlates market movements in space/time.All original rest assured.It needs to be put into program (excel perhaps)Very powerful stuff that needs protection.Any "geeks" out there(meant in the nicest possible way)in the NY/NJ area who care about the mysteries of the universe,want to solve them, and would like to do charitable things with the millions they might make?
Built emphemeris using Jet Pro. Lab info. - I think Pottenger Routines serve better though.Bye

Posts: 21 | From: Clarksburg, NJ | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
SupportGoddess

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 822

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2004 13:44      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I thought it was going to be another "where are all the geek guys/girls" post from the first line...

--------------------
"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
-Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Posts: 1148 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dr. O
Mini Geek
Member # 2585

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2004 20:27      Profile for Dr. O     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had me going for a second there too.

Projects like that are the stuff I love, regardless of the role I take. But Colorado is a long way from NY/NJ turf.

Good luck!

--------------------
Is that tempura in your pocket or are you just happy sashimi?

Posts: 71 | From: Durango, CO | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dr Cyclops
Assimilated
Member # 986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2004 21:07      Profile for Dr Cyclops   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NM is even farther than CO. 30N, That's the olny clue I'm giving.

--------------------
When the W'rkncacnter came, Pthia was killed, and Yrro in anger, flung the W'rkncacnter into the sun. The sun burned them, but they swam on its surface.

Posts: 499 | From: Upon the slab, Unbroken. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 29, 2004 10:07      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm probably within the area, but I probably wouldn't be quite right for it, due to a slight lack of free time. I also don't know what kind of system this data would need to be processed with (though my preference is obviously Perl).

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mlcillo
Geek Larva
Member # 2602

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 29, 2004 19:25      Profile for mlcillo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a hankering you might be refering to 30north lat.I went to my Rand-Mcnally atlas-been in the family forever and it DOES NOT have the state of NM in it.Maybe it`s worth millions now.I know it`s out there-I`ve been.
As far as data goes, everything is already there -price,vol,dates on hard drive.Planetary pos.are generated as far back and foward as you wish or until the sun puffs out to a "red giant" and engulfs merc/venus and toasts the earth to a crispy brown.If you have a busy family life then no it may not be best, otherwise you`ll want to make time I think.This is big!

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 29, 2004 19:31      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe NM had no roads when your family's map was published. [evil]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2004 09:04      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always NY/NJ this, NY/NJ that. I am far from NY.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2004 09:12      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, and somehow I'm just a bit skeptical about the whole project - I think I'll stick to my general consulting, and possibly doing the same for my friend's very rich fiancee [Big Grin] . My friend tells me that he treats/rewards his employees quite well [Smile] .

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mlcillo
Geek Larva
Member # 2602

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2004 15:39      Profile for mlcillo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"It`s your thing, you do what you wanna do"...Sly Stone.
Maybe you ought to "stick" to some English composition.What the hell point are you trying to make with your friend`s rich fiancee, your general consulting or is it general confusion, and how well somebody`s employees are rewarded.
The genre here is about having an open mind to some new ideas.You can be critical when I`ve presented something as in figures, statistics or theroy.
Do you "friend`s rich fiancee"drop at parties?

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2004 16:28      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the idea of correlating the market (and I'll assume you do mean the financial market) to the universe &| space/time. You may have an absolutely brilliant piece of work here, but perhaps you'll understand that the prior description makes it sound a little off beat.

Regarding the rich bloke - that's just a point of amusement to me, mainly the way my friend carries on about some of the software devel. projects he does (and largely for fun). Otherwise, I really don't believe in name dropping, and besides, I didn't actually - I only referenced him through stupid references. After all, he's also related to me by the merits of being my boss' nephew's babysitter's first-cousin-once-removed's long lost twin brother's ex-wife's father-in-law.

--------------------

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2004 16:49      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, mlcillo, you do realize that the Earth isn't part of any galactic civilization and therefore not part of any galactic stock market, right? Or is this a sort of RPG thing?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2004 16:54      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mlcillo:

Actually, it's the Isley Brothers.

GMx-GC's music pendant.

Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2004 17:09      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
quote:

GMx-GC's music pendant.

Wouldn't that be pedant? [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
mlcillo
Geek Larva
Member # 2602

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2004 17:39      Profile for mlcillo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine, wipe the drivel off your chin and go lay down for a while.
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2004 17:47      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I might be stealing dman's thunder here, but WTF are you insinuating here? I can sort of understand you wanting to clarify what looked on the surface like name-dropping from dman, but your last post looked like a personal attack on Xanthine for no reason to me. And that's completely uncalled for. [thumbsdown]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2004 17:49      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, now, that could have been worded better...

Edit: In response to the post above, csk's - i.e. the one that personally attacks my girlfriend, not the one that stands up for her (thanks csk [Smile] ).

--------------------

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2004 18:27      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

If I didn't have a grant to draft I might. As it is, I'm a scientist, I am skeptical, and I'd like to see some evidence that your job offer has some veracity. Since you've failed to do more than go on defcon 5 when questioned, I'm going to assume from here on out that you are quite simply full of horse shit and I would advise anyone here willing to listen to me to avoid you like the plague.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2004 18:31      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:
quote:

GMx-GC's music pendant.

Well, I do hang around here a lot. [Wink]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
mlcillo
Geek Larva
Member # 2602

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2004 19:16      Profile for mlcillo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you really are a scientist then I beleive not a very good one.Go back and read what you wrote.It`s pure nonsense."The earth is not part of a Galactic market"you said.The only markets are here on earth unless you are personally buying and selling moon rocks somewhere.I was expecting alot better from this site, and then you vomit profanity on top of stupidity.
I`m not trying to lure or sell anyone.I am trying to peak an interest here to carefully select people with a passion for what`s out there.Somehow I have to find that person(s) without giving away too much, less you open a Pandoras box when someone builds on there own the basis of my study.Greed will be ones undoing.I`ve yet to hear anyone elab. on the charitable things possible that I mentioned.That was bait for the human side.
I could submit some work that does not reveal.Price predictions that you could do on your own in the bond markets AND PICK REVERSAL to with-in a tic sometimes.But then I would be buying someone -feeding greed.I`m not offering a job, it didn`t say that anywhere in my post.And you condescending initial reply got your nose tweeked.Too bad.Don`t waste my time with ridiculous posts.Ask a question.

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted March 01, 2004 19:30      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<WWCVD>Perhaps someone who needs someone else to do their coding for them, and suggests using Excel to implement this "amazing body of work" should think twice before calling someone else stupid. And what makes your time so valuable that you feel you can dictate what posts are important in this thread or not. Reduce your ego down to a reasonable size, and you might have some chance of getting the assistance you desire. Otherwise, you'll just get more flames like this one </WWCVD>

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2004 19:33      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I`ve done this amazing body of work that correlates market movements in space/time.All original rest assured.It needs to be put into program (excel perhaps)Very powerful stuff that needs protection.Any "geeks" out there(meant in the nicest possible way)in the NY/NJ area who care about the mysteries of the universe,want to solve them, and would like to do charitable things with the millions they might make?

Sounds like a job offer to me. Though not a job offer for me - I'm don't hack bits and bytes. I play with nucleic acids instead. Base AUCG preferrably. [Wink]

As for for the rest, yes I am a scientist, though a young one. Am I any good? I try to be. Time will tell. Until then, I stand by what I've said: you've made some wild claims, refused to back them with any sort of data, and reacted with undo anger and violence when challenged, all of which damages your credibility. Maybe you are onto something, and are just a very touchy person, but then again, maybe you aren't. But if you want anyone here to invest any serious time in your project, you need to convince them that you aren't a quack.

BTW, the only thing that ever successfully "tweeked my nose" was a mountain, and I ended up climbing it anyways. Flame, especially form a stranger, will not hurt or even chasten me.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2004 19:42      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:
quote:

GMx-GC's music pendant.

Stop being such a pendant !

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
mlcillo
Geek Larva
Member # 2602

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2004 20:07      Profile for mlcillo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boy, csk - you`re a real "looker".I see you`ve got that Austrailian dental plan going on.
What`s wrong with Excel -it does everything I ask
And no my ego and person will not submit to a condescending letter.

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2004 20:27      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Boy, csk - you`re a real "looker".I see you`ve got that Austrailian dental plan going on.
What`s wrong with Excel -it does everything I ask
And no my ego and person will not submit to a condescending letter.

Listen here mlcillo, you slimy little fuck. Your opinion amounts to what I flush down the shitter every morning after a stong, black coffee. You want repect? Well bitch, you gotta earn it here, just like in real life. I suggest you retract your personal attact on csk and post a pic of yourself so we can all have a good laugh. Punks like you are not welcome here.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture