homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Origin of certain geeky conventions?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Origin of certain geeky conventions?
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted January 28, 2004 14:24      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, all!

Does anyone know the origin of the geek convention of capitalizing multiple letters in software applications with compound names, e.g., HyperCard, AppleWorks, etc.? Is this a relic from the days when file names and programming variables couldn't have spaces?

Secondly, is there a name for the averted glance or lookaway we do out of courtesy when someone is entering a password? (And if there isn't a name for it, there should be -- suggest one!).

Thanks,
~ TA

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2004 14:36      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tech Angel:

Secondly, is there a name for the averted glance or lookaway we do out of courtesy when someone is entering a password? (And if there isn't a name for it, there should be -- suggest one!).

I dunno what it is called, but I do it all the time. Little do they know I have numerous (both legit and non-legit) ways of getting into their account/machines. I should just wear this shirt.

-

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
unclefungus
Highlie
Member # 2118

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted January 28, 2004 14:55      Profile for unclefungus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you mean like in a product name? thats easy, $$$. You see AppleWorks! on the shelf and want it more than appleworks.

As far as looking away when someone types thier password, I don't know what you're talking about. I never do. People who don't go through the proper physical measures (cover it, ask me to move for a minute) to protect thier password, deserve to have it taken.I don't ever give someone such a chance to get one of mine, so why should I get the chance for one of thiers?

Posts: 613 | From: changes, right now it's Jacksonville or Fayetteville | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2004 16:05      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, another good reason to do it besides decency is the level of trust that you build in them by this act. I always look away, and some people will tell me, "Oh, I don't care," or something to that effect, and I try to remind them of the importance of password security. I then usually give my little speech, "I don't need your password, I have administrative priviliges, and can get right in without it if necessary, or reset the password. Further, I don't really want one more piece of extraneous information (cf. Sherlock Holmes and frivolous tidbits)."

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2004 16:52      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This password thing sounds kinda like the honor code among climbers. Soince there's no privacy on a glacier or cliff-face you simply avert your eyes when your buddy needs to relieve himself. It's called "I don't want or need to look." Good way to reinforce trust.
Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted January 28, 2004 17:55      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it could be called "The Dixieland."

"Look away, look away..."

[Big Grin]

Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
perfectstormy

SuperFan!
Member # 1434

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2004 04:19      Profile for perfectstormy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the Jargon file entry for your first question. The entry for StudlyCaps says the origin is unknown.

http://www.elsewhere.org/jargon/html/entry/BiCapitalization.html

Posts: 154 | From: nude hampster | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2004 05:05      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tech Angel:

Nerdiquette?

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted January 29, 2004 08:40      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geekorum
Nerdpriety

heh

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
SupportGoddess

Member # 822

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2004 04:10      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Well, another good reason to do it besides decency is the level of trust that you build in them by this act. I always look away, and some people will tell me, "Oh, I don't care," or something to that effect, and I try to remind them of the importance of password security. I then usually give my little speech, "I don't need your password, I have administrative priviliges, and can get right in without it if necessary, or reset the password. Further, I don't really want one more piece of extraneous information (cf. Sherlock Holmes and frivolous tidbits)."

Funny, when I was working I always made them log in privately for my protection if they wanted to show me something. If I needed the access, I had it, but I certainly didn't want it coming back as "well, she watched me put in my password" if they left with their workstation logged in (as most of them did) and something bad happened. That CYA induced level of paranoia is just another reason I'm not really heartbroken that I was one of the cuts. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
-Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Posts: 1148 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2004 05:59      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SupportGoddess:
[QB] Funny, when I was working I always made them log in privately for my protection if they wanted to show me something. If I needed the access, I had it, but I certainly didn't want it coming back as "well, she watched me put in my password" if they left with their workstation logged in (as most of them did) and something bad happened. /QB]

When I was visiting client sites doing software installation, I always insisted the client virus-check the installation disks for the same reason. I knew there was no virus on the disk, but I didn't want anyone pointing the finger at me when a virus appeared a week later.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Elvermere
Geek
Member # 2456

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2004 19:18      Profile for Elvermere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As an alternative though, maybe it originated from the concaternation of two capitalised words, rather than capitalising a second half of the word.

Be interesting to find out.

Cheers

--------------------
Duct Tape is like the force.
It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Posts: 113 | From: Perth, West AU | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture