homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » inteligent thought process (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: inteligent thought process
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2004 21:46      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im doin a composition for my english class and the professor said i can do it on anything subject as long as it is an analysis paper.

My Subject: The Thought Process and Work Habits of The Extremly Inteligent.

and because this is such a broad sbject and has a lot to be dealt with, i need some input. Just a simple "what you think" deal.

Im focusing on comprehension, critical thinking (what you do when faced with a technical problem) and materialization of thought and with the later stated im also touching on penmanship and the transfer of thought to paper.

My thesis is going to be something that has to do with the speed and complexity of what we think and the comparison of situations to others as well as the complexity of plans that a person can achieve with a realization of the chain-reactions that each objective in the plan will set off. Any Help would be nice.

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2004 21:56      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I haven't noticed any correlation between penmanship and intelligence. That's more a question of hand-eye coordination.

As for thought processes, beats me. What is extreme intelligence anyways? For that matter, wtf is intelligence?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2004 22:30      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, its an arbitrary subject that is going to be based on relative genious and inteligent people.

any help would be nice; links, statements, anything at all.

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2004 22:44      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assume you won't be using yourself as a case study...... [Big Grin]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2004 23:26      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well definetly not you... [Big Grin]
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2004 23:56      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
well definetly not you... [Big Grin]

<spelling Nazi>

It is: definitely [Wink]

</spelling Nazi>

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2004 00:09      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn, I'm glad I'm not a newbie, and can spell. Cap'n Vic is absolutely decking anyone who can't [Big Grin]

On a vaguely on topic note, I wonder why some people spell better, and have better grammar than others. Is it education, intelligence, taking the time to get things right, or a combination of the above?

In my case, I don't spell check, except for very occasionally checking the spelling of a word I'm unsure of. But the vast majority of words I know the spelling of from memory, or can tell it looks "wrong" if I go to misspell it. I also don't bother grammar checking, as my grammar is mostly OK.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2004 03:31      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
Damn, I'm glad I'm not a newbie, and can spell. Cap'n Vic is absolutely decking anyone who can't [Big Grin]

To be fair, we need some standards. I think basic literacy should be made a prerequisite to joining our (let's face it - elite) gathering. It would be great if someone could design forum software that could spot the Ralph Wiggums amongst us and block their address... or even better - cause some sort of electrical shock to be sent through to their keyboard, until they understand what it means to communicate intelligibly. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2004 03:42      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hang 'em!
Shoot 'em!
Flog 'em!

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted January 14, 2004 07:36      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
INTELLIGENT is spelled with 2 L's.
2 L's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2004 07:43      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MTB Babe:
quote:
INTELLIGENT is spelled with 2 L's.
2 L's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, and it's extremly important to get that right! [Wink]

--------------------

BellaDonna
Geek
Member # 2123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2004 08:40      Profile for BellaDonna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As to why some people spell better than others I'm not sure as to the reasons. I know for myself that I am educated, I think I'm intelligent, but I can't spell (though I've trained myself). I'm dyslexic and words just don't work for me. If that's the case with our bad spellers here then being in the same boat I'd say they're lazy. There's a "Preview Post" button, which allows you to read over your post before replying, for a reason. If you know you can't spell or are typo prone use it, or if you don't see the words as being wrong put your post into a spell checker. It won't take that much more of your time and spelling correctly (as well as having good grammar) helps give your posts more credibility to those who read it.

I know off topic, but hey csk started it!

skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2004 08:44      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*puts on flame retardent suit*

Personally, it doesn't matter a jot to me if someone isn't particularly good at spelling, as long as they can make themselves understood without too much difficulty, which the vast majority of people here have done. In addition, poor spellers are made out to be stupid people, and the two states of being are really not codependant, I assure you. Furthermore, I'm getting really, really tired of the whole Spelling/Grammar Nazism thing. It just depresses me when there is barely a thread that doesn't deteriorate into misplaced linguistic pedantry and GC used to be such a friendly, welcoming place. I visit here less often because of it. We shouldn't think of ourselves as elitist and discriminatory; doesn't that just make us as bad as those jocks and cheerleaders who bullied us in high school?(1)

I'm used to people getting angry at me or disliking me quite a lot, because I have a complex vocabulary, and I tend to enjoy using archaisms and rhetorical flourishes where I don't need them. They think I'm a snob, or a freak. It's not true. Juxtapose that with the problem of being thought dumb/unworthy for being a poor speller: to me, there are parallels.

So, in short, please lighten up, some of you. If we were all speaking to each other in a room together, would you yell at someone for having poor grammar? Would you discredit them for it? If I did that, I would miss out on friendships that have made my life so much better. Surprisingly it matters less to me than it does to most people here.(2)

-sky

(1) A generalisation, I know.
(2) I'm doing a degree in ancient languages, hence pretty much every day of the week I'm dealing with and committing to memory very complex grammatical and syntactical structures.

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2004 08:45      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BellaDonna:
It won't take that much more of your time and spelling correctly (as well as having good grammar) helps give your posts more credibility to those who read it.

Well argued! Now - adding credibility is all very well, but what do we really have in terms of a disincentive to post poorly? We clearly need to instigate a form of corporal punishment, based on hair-pulling for girls, and nipple-tweaking for chaps - what'dya reckon?

edit: yes, Skylie - you are, of course, being entirely sensible, open-minded, and rational about the whole thing... but where's the fun in that? [Wink]

--------------------

hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2004 08:54      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go Skylie!
Well said!
Woo! Yay!
[thumbsup]

(Spungster: depends on who's doing the tweaking, really... [evil] )

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
skylar
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2004 08:56      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's plenty of fun to be had in devising methods of torture of Spelling Nazis, too [Wink] [Big Grin] [evil]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2004 09:08      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hey-U:
(Spungster: depends on who's doing the tweaking, really... [evil] )

Oh, yeah - you got that right! Haven't you ever had the fantasy of having one's nipples tweaked by a rather stern (Avengers era) Joanna Lumley in an SS uniform? I know I have. [Smile]

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2004 09:17      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Well, I haven't noticed any correlation between penmanship and intelligence. That's more a question of hand-eye coordination.
That, or laziness. I can't say anything about my intelligence, or lack thereof, but I'd be the dumbest [expletive] out there if my handwriting was the basis of it. If I care, I'll try a bit harder with my handwriting, but when I make quick notes to myself, it's probably illegible to most other people. These days, I type just about everything of consequence, so it's usually readable [Smile] .

As for thought processes, beats me. What is extreme intelligence anyways? For that matter, wtf is intelligence?
No idea...

I'm glad other people chose to comment on the spelling here, as I decided that I'd avoid the flames and not say my piece about the irony of the subject at hand, and the large number of errors in the post about it.

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
skylar
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2004 09:28      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
I'm glad other people chose to comment on the spelling here, as I decided that I'd avoid the flames and not say my piece about the irony of the subject at hand, and the large number of errors in the post about it.

Intelligence and spelling ability shouldn't be seen as relative to one another, though! You being an extremely intelligent and insightful dragon, I was hoping you might agree [ohwell] In addition to which, Jace Raven was making no claims about his own intellectual capabilities, merely that he wants to write about the thought processes of other people.

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2004 10:04      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When i said penmanship i do mean the neatness of your writing, but not only. I am also looking for a correlation between the method in which you write out a problem. For instance, when I do complex math problems, I almost never take the conventional means of obtaining an answer. In such, my methods, combined with the speed at which i write and think, makes the review of my work seem incomphrendable to others. Yet, when I review my work, I can follow my thought process immediately. This caused a lot of problems in school as my teachers were never exactly the trusting type and not being able to follow the work that i presented, they immediately jumped to the conclusion that my answers were copied and my work was arbitrary.

And although my grammar isn’t perfect, I do criticize people who don't take the time to learn proper english.

“I won you in basketball”
“He told me a question”
“My computer don’t work good”

I do not however, criticize people who cannot spell or who are prone to typos.

quote:

furthermore, Dman. By nitpicking at my post and pointing out the obvious irony of the subject, you are only stating to others that you have no thoughts on the subject and as such you are only wasting my time. I thought that this was a place that i could come to ask people, who may or may not be more intelligent than me (as the intelligence of the members of this forum are not in question), to give me thoughts from a perspective that i obviously cannot achieve.
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2004 11:26      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
..... If we were all speaking to each other in a room together, would you yell at someone for having poor grammar?

No.....but I would wonder if their parents were related, or if they had appeared on Jerry Springer yet.

quote:

Would you discredit them for it?

Yes, sorry, I would. Not everyone can afford a post secondary education. But they can take the fucking time to learn how to read and write if they didn't manage to pick up that skill in 13 years of public education.

I am mildly dyslexic, a shitty keyboarder, but I take the time to check my posts because I don't want to look like an idiot for my spelling and grammar....I'd rather be an idiot for what I have to say.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2004 11:36      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is fascinating because extreme intelligence and work ethics are not synonymous.

The difficulty follows in these questions:

• How do we define intelligence? Is it book-learning? Is it IQ score?
  • Once intelligence is established, what would be considered success?
  • Is intelligence measured as scientific-mathemetic ability only? What about emotional, artistic, intuitive intelligence?
  • What about disturbed genius -- Leonardo DaVinci, Bobby Fisher, and Vincent Van Gogh come to mind?

The idea of "Intelligence" is so arbitrary, perhaps an analysis paper on how people rate their own intelligence, or how people define intelligence would be very interesting.

As an example: my first IQ test was 168, I still test in the 160's. I'm a housewife with an Associate's Degree. I know there are many people out there with 130's and 140's who are staggeringly more "successful" than me (make more money, have a career, etc.)

Most genius don't do any more than they have to because it comes easily to them up to a point.

Jess

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2004 12:14      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a quick/interesting read.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2004 12:22      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
quote:
Originally posted by csk:

To be fair, we need some standards. I think basic literacy should be made a prerequisite to joining our (let's face it - elite) gathering. It would be great if someone could design forum software that could spot the Ralph Wiggums amongst us and block their address... or even better - cause some sort of electrical shock to be sent through to their keyboard, until they understand what it means to communicate intelligibly. [Smile]
Well I think that's *ow!* a really *ow!* good id*OW!!!*ea

oh fsck it ! *OW!*

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2004 12:32      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
quote:

Intelligence and spelling ability shouldn't be seen as relative to one another, though! You being an extremely intelligent and insightful dragon, I was hoping you might agree [ohwell] In addition to which, Jace Raven was making no claims about his own intellectual capabilities, merely that he wants to write about the thought processes of other people.
I can agree with you, sky, but I have my limits. Most intelligent people have a pretty good familiarity with the world of academia, where it is commonly expected that you will write things that are spelled correctly and that have some semblance of grammatical structure. I do not take much issue with poor spelling in highly interactive environments like instant messaging or IRC, where one wishes to get their ideas out quickly, in an effort to emulate speech. However, when one types an e-mail or forum/newsgroup post, I expect that their words will carry a bit more weight than the interactive kind, and more thought has been put into them. Posting with no effort at spelling words correctly projects an image of "I don't give a fsck" to me. Maybe it really doesn't matter that much, but my eyes are pretty sharp at spotting typos, and when I encounter them, my brain stops to think about the typo, distracting me from the point of the actual message. A typo here, a typo there, this doesn't bother me a whole lot - but a post filled with them starts to get on my nerves, and leaves me thinking, "Why do I make the effort to fix my mistakes? If they don't care about how their posts look, why should I?"
Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture