homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Superdrive burning

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Superdrive burning
Patrick
Mini Geek
Member # 1793

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted January 07, 2004 10:15      Profile for Patrick   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot what format my superdrive uses? I should be getting CD-RW? CD+RW?

Another question a friend of mine asked - when you burn onto a CD-RW, do you still have to finalize/verify it?

--------------------
"Oh, come on - are you telling me that you can look at a monkey and not get hungry?"
- Bucky Katt, GET FUZZY

Posts: 84 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 10:18            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the price I'd just use CD-R and skip the RW discs. The superdrive uses DVD-R.
IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 13:34      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would be DVD-RW

the whole +/- issue only applied to DVDs.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 16:39      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by evilbibo:
For the price I'd just use CD-R and skip the RW discs. The superdrive uses DVD-R.

Uh, because you can get the CD-Rs for next to nothing, or buy 25 CD-RWs for $9.99? That does not compute. Then again, I burn a lot of ~permanent discs. I've been thinking of buying some more RWs for temporary CDs (like data backup), but otherwise, I use WORM discs.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 22:12            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok now you have me confused, my point was that CD-R discs are dirt cheap compared to CD-RW discs.

FYI - DVD-R media is priced low too, 25 discs are about $34. And Apple has dropped their DVD-R disc prices by 50%

quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:

Uh, because you can get the CD-Rs for next to nothing, or buy 25 CD-RWs for $9.99? That does not compute. Then again, I burn a lot of ~permanent discs. I've been thinking of buying some more RWs for temporary CDs (like data backup), but otherwise, I use WORM discs.

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 22:25      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ok now you have me confused, my point was that CD-R discs are dirt cheap compared to CD-RW discs.

True, but you can reuse a CD-RW hundreds of times (in theory, at least). From memory from when I last bought, it only takes about 5 rewrites or so to break even. Plus, you don't have to worry about where to store so many CDs, or polluting the environment with old unneeded ones.

Edit: And yes, you should still finalise and verify with CD-RWs. It's pretty much the same as using CD-Rs except you need to blank them first before burning, and your writer probably can't write them as quickly as CD-Rs.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 22:27      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could it be that I misread the post in my mind, and had no fscking clue why you were suggesting RW over R? Sorry, that was just way off - I think I had a case of 'GRE on the brain.'

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 22:55      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:

your writer probably can't write them (CDRWs) as quickly as CD-Rs.

Depends on the type.
Old-style CD/RWs only worked up to about 4x,
the Verbatim Ultraspeeds I use now work at 24x.

Dunno if this works on the mac superdrive, I only use my CDRWs on the PC, I use In-CD which lets me use it as a 500M floppy - very handy for backups

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Patrick
Mini Geek
Member # 1793

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2004 06:49      Profile for Patrick   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I have some ZIP disks, but I don't have a drive at home, so I'm trying to find a cheap alternative to transferring large files between school and home without having to buy a ZIP drive.

--------------------
"Oh, come on - are you telling me that you can look at a monkey and not get hungry?"
- Bucky Katt, GET FUZZY

Posts: 84 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2004 06:55            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Althought it would involve a purchase, how about a USB thumb drive?

quote:
Originally posted by Patrick:
Well, I have some ZIP disks, but I don't have a drive at home, so I'm trying to find a cheap alternative to transferring large files between school and home without having to buy a ZIP drive.

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2004 15:34      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Althought it would involve a purchase, how about a USB thumb drive?

Or, if you have a digicam (or are intending to get one), a compact flash card reader and a suitably sized flash card.

If you have access to a CD burner at both places, I'd go CD-RW though.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2004 19:10      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

FYI - DVD-R media is priced low too, 25 discs are about $34. And Apple has dropped their DVD-R disc prices by 50%

Try $56 for 50 Ritek DVD-R 4x @ newegg with free supersaver shipping [Smile]

And btw, TFD:
the superdrive in my G5 does RW at 8x i think, but i use my external BenQ that does it at 24x (best investment ever, a 52x24x52 for 35 dollars). when you put in a blank cd-r or -rw it will mount it like a RW storage device, and you can put thigns on it, modify, etc. just like a regular device liek a floppy (it creates a disk image in the background for all of this), then you click "burn" and it burns it and ejects it

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2004 22:43      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tut-an-Geek:
And btw, TFD:
the superdrive in my G5 does RW at 8x i think, but i use my external BenQ that does it at 24x (best investment ever, a 52x24x52 for 35 dollars). when you put in a blank cd-r or -rw it will mount it like a RW storage device, and you can put thigns on it, modify, etc. just like a regular device liek a floppy (it creates a disk image in the background for all of this), then you click "burn" and it burns it and ejects it

Yes, I can do that on my iMac as well, but what the PC lets me do is take that disk, put it on the shelf for a week, then put it back in, delete a few files and replace them with new ones, even edit files on the CD/RW. I really can't understand why Apple have taken so long to do this, it's such an obvious, and super useful feature.

So, the PC is my CD/RW burning machine, and the iMac is my DVD burning machine. Seeing as they're networked, and sit next to each other on the desk, this is no inconvenience at all.

--------------------

nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted January 09, 2004 04:49      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Yes, I can do that on my iMac as well, but what the PC lets me do is take that disk, put it on the shelf for a week, then put it back in, delete a few files and replace them with new ones, even edit files on the CD/RW. I really can't understand why Apple have taken so long to do this, it's such an obvious, and super useful feature.

This is called packet-writing and there used to be software from Adaptec to do it on the Mac, but it was only available with specific CD writers, not as a retail product. I think it broke with OS 8 and they claimed it was too difficult to update - no idea why this should be true, probably they meant they didn't think it was worth it.

You can achieve the same effect with a mastered CD by importing the existing session, adding new files or deleting existing ones from the catalogue, and burning it again - it's just a bit more work (not that much more if you're only adding new files). Also there's a limit to how many times you can do it because each session has a 10-15 MB overhead for the catalogue.

If you read one of the extraordinarily detailed CD FAQ's on the net you'll find dire warnings about packet-writing CD-RW's, to the effect that if you get an error while writing or the PC crashes before you eject the disc, the whole disc contents can become unreadable. Also the number of times you can rewrite any given part of a CD-RW is quite limited, maybe a few thousand cycles? I've always concluded that plain old mastering is safer. Anyway CD's are now so cheap and writers so fast that it doesn't seem so much hassle any more...

Posts: 822 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture