homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » What drives you? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What drives you?
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2004 17:12      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember reading somewhere the astute observation on the difference between Steve Jobs and Bill Gates:

Bill wants to make money.
Steve wants to make cool things.

Well I reckon they have achieved their aims.

Curiosity drives me to do my study, and the thrill of being the first person to know something.

So... what makes you do what you do?

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2004 17:42      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my relatives had a good one, which I've now stolen for myself.

I want to be missed when I die, rather than it's passing being celebrated.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2004 18:07      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sheer determination to be the best. or as some people have stated in the past; to impress the opposite sex.n
ZorroTheFox
Member # 917

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2004 18:09      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just want to leave a mark on the world. I don't really care if it is a scar as long as it is remembered.
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2004 19:40      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The fear of eating cat food in my retirement is usually a pretty good motivator for me.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 01:25      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish it were higher things, but mostly it's the endless search for food and sex.....

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 02:42      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to own the world's largest turnip.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 04:23      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
I wish it were higher things, but mostly it's the endless search for food and sex.....

Endless? I'm guessing you're getting at least one of those regularly [Razz]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted January 07, 2004 05:46      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Duty, honor, and my own mushroom garden.

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 05:47      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curiosity.

I want to understand how the universe works, animate and inanimate, micro to macro, physics to psychology.

I want to test my hypotheses, or at least, the workable ones. (Thanks, Littlefish)

I want to push my brain to its limits (knowing my body limits would be fine too, but I'm lazy).

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 06:00      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, that feels like something that requires significantly deeper thought than I care to do right now [Smile] .

A few simple things do drive me, though:
The pursuit of writing code that serves a good purpose, and hopefully is fun to write and use
-Perl exceeds in this matter, letting me do awesome things!

Related the last point, to learn as much as I can about computing, and more so, to learn new ways to do things, so that I can improve my abilities (think "learn something new everyday.")

The above two also apply to my job, given that they're pretty closely related.

Unfortunately not as a strong a drive: To graduate.

Oh yeah, and there's also a someone who's a bit of a driving force to me [Smile] .

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 06:03      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What's the plural form of hypothesis?
Hypotheses
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 06:07      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the idea of going back to, say, my twentieth high school reunion, unmarried and filthy rich...or at least famous.
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 08:15      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd have to say being a good parent to my son drives me. That and being able to look in the mirror, and like and respect the person I see.
Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 08:18      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know that cool prickly feeling on the back of your neck wehn you've discovered something? Well, I'm a junkie for that.

That and I want to be immortal. Not in the sense that I'll be alive forever, but in the sense that I will never be forgotten. If you are remembered, you never die. I just hope I'm remembered for a *good* thing. You can't take anything with you - you are what you leave behind.

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 11:11      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been struggling with that question for years now. I don't know what I want to do with my life. For now, I'm trying to do well at my job, get completely out of debt, and be a good wife to my husband. Eventually I would like to have children and not have them grow up to be serial killers. Besides that, I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 12:12      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was an inscription upon the ancient oracle at Delphi, in Greece, which said "gnothi seauton" (wish I knew how to include Greek characters in a post [Razz] ), which means "know thyself". My aim is to fulfill that, and the way I intend to get there is by using my curiosity, to find out more about the world (everything I can!), and apply that understanding to what's in my own head.

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 13:25      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
I want to be immortal. Not in the sense that I'll be alive forever, but in the sense that I will never be forgotten.

<Woody Allen>
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work,
I want to achieve immortality through not dying
</Woody Allen>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 13:45      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
There was an inscription upon the ancient oracle at Delphi, in Greece, which said "gnothi seauton" (wish I knew how to include Greek characters in a post [Razz] ), which means "know thyself".

Yeah, they must have copied that from the Oracle in the Matrix, it had that too [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

unclefungus
Highlie
Member # 2118

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted January 07, 2004 14:29      Profile for unclefungus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do I do the things I do ? boredom. and the ability to say "Hey Ya'll, Watch this!" [Big Grin]

--------------------
Professional software should not have dancing paperclips.

Posts: 613 | From: changes, right now it's Jacksonville or Fayetteville | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 15:26      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
There was an inscription upon the ancient oracle at Delphi, in Greece, which said "gnothi seauton" (wish I knew how to include Greek characters in a post [Razz] ), which means "know thyself".

Yeah, they must have copied that from the Oracle in the Matrix, it had that too [Wink]
except in the matrix it was in latin not greek

As for what drives me, there was always the fact that I don't know everything. My medium term goal was to get to grad school and getting a PhD, but as I'm now doing that, I guess its finish maybe write some code and license it out get a tenure track position at a university, do the whole family thing, and eventually go senile and teach the lab ferret to grade papers. OOOOH and I need to get something named after myself before that goes entirely out of style because I've got a nice long unusual name from an obscure region in mexico so I can have revenge on all them english, german, and russian scientists mwuahahaHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Patrick
Mini Geek
Member # 1793

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted January 07, 2004 15:45      Profile for Patrick   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Girls... and shiny gadgets.
Posts: 84 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2004 03:01      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick:
Girls... and shiny gadgets.

I prefer shiny girls and gadgets... or even shiny girl gadgets, when I feel the need. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
crazyarlo
Geek
Member # 1226

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted January 08, 2004 10:28      Profile for crazyarlo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someday, I want to learn to fly.
Someday, I will play a musical instrument!
Someday, I will learn a language!

But most importantly...

I hope to someday be able to fart the Star Spangled Banner.

Yahooooo!!!!!!!!1

Posts: 238 | From: Southern Ohio ... SURF OHIO, BABY! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Smurf Boy
Geek Larva
Member # 2537

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2004 18:34      Profile for Smurf Boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mainly curiosity, always something else to learn/understand.
That and blowing things up... that's always fun. [Smile]

--------------------
I didn't spend all that time playing Dungeons and Dragons and not learn a little something about courage.

Posts: 26 | From: The Land of Heat | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture