homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » origin of word "woot" (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: origin of word "woot"
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted November 04, 2003 14:49      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the way we have to always categorize ourselves. I am a geek because of these specific reasons. I am a hacker for these specific reasons.
G33z [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
G-3PO
Geek
Member # 1851

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2003 15:45      Profile for G-3PO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can just feel the love.

--------------------
For large values of one, one equals two, for small values of two.

Posts: 187 | From: Augusta, GA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
brownman76
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2430

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2003 00:59      Profile for brownman76   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think "woot" came from hiphop culture. Back when I was an undergrad, I remember the phrase "Woot! Woot! Raise the roof!" accompanied by raising your arms and extending your arms twice in rapid succession whenever when we'd be up in the club. Wow, a hip-hop/geekdom crossover. Who'd a thunk it? But, no, I don't know what it means.
Posts: 1 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2003 17:04      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, that makes sense. Sort of a siren like sound, yes?

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Drazgal
Geek
Member # 984

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2003 09:11      Profile for Drazgal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hacking originally had nothing to do with computer security, infact it didnt have anyhtign to do with computers.

It was the art of a clever trick, over tiem the poeple who enjoyed this most migrated to computers in the 50s and the term moved with them. Hacker was a term for a person who writes code for codes sake, whos code is elegant, beautiful and above all clever.

Unfortunatly the media needed a name for people who started to break security that they could use on tv before the watershed [Smile] Unfortunatly instead of making anew term they chose one they heard but did not understand, as back then the people who were breaking security were in the main at a level that classed them as hacker, and lo all hackers were tarred with the same brush and the mainstream meaning changed beyond all recongnition.

Shame really.

Posts: 154 | From: Dundee, United Kingdom | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Drazgal
Geek
Member # 984

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2003 09:12      Profile for Drazgal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a different note I once heard that woot came from a victory speach by a winner of an early Quake competition (the one for Carmacks car). Which went along the lines of "What can I say but woot!"

though Im skeptical if this is right.

spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2003 09:17      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought the term 'hacker' originated with the phone phreaks in the 60s (i.e., they hacked into the phone system long before computers were widely available to be hacked). [ohwell]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Drazgal
Geek
Member # 984

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2003 09:22      Profile for Drazgal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The phone hacking was just part of the hacking culture back then, train hacking (linking an electric train to a phone and using number dials to change junctions) was also popular before computers.
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2003 20:57      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
from: http://www.sptimes.com/Hackers/history.hacking.html

to
http://dictionary.com

to
http://www.etymonline.com/h1etym.htm

And from many other sources, some of which are in deep dark closets

The term as we know it came from the '70s when guy's (mostly in their thirties, from their parents' basements) "hacked" into telephone systems. At first literally by opening patchboxes and connecting wires but soon by using telephone equipment to get telephone employees' help in getting codes and switch patterns. The object was to place a phone call, as far away as possible. The only goal was knowledge.

Later with computers it became potentially lucrative.

It means something completely differnt in butcher shops and on golf courses.

Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
SupportGoddess

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 822

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2003 22:34      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TonyRad:
quote:
Originally posted by illuminatus:
quote:
Originally posted by TonyRad:
geeze... I'm sorry I'm not into the l33t jargon. But l33t doesn't impress me. The only people who use l33t are crackers and cracker wanna be's. real hackers don't use l33t. they use normal everday common english... or techno talk. but never l33t.

IMHO,
Tony Rad

uhhh no d00d sorry. hackers do not always use plain english, mainly because plain english doesn't contain the net jargon that many hackers use. hackers will say l33t, w00t, pwned, etc. anyway, IMHO you need to read the definition for hacker http://www.dictionary.com/?search=hacker

k? thnx!

Alright illuminatus, this is the only post I will make on this. Yes, I know the definition of a hacker. I am learning the ways of hacking myself. I have done research on hackers, hacking, programming, crackers, script kiddies, and more for years. and if you didn't notice i also added techno talk after plain english to incorporate net jargon. net jargon is still comprehensible and still uses the normal 26 letters from the english alphabet. l33t does not. also, probably not too many people have noticed this but i recently added "IMHO" to the end of my posts because it seems that without fail I get somebody trying to troll or flame or whatever my posts. This is the internet and this is a forum, people have their own opinions, what i say are my opinions, not necesarrily facts. if you do decide to roam around on other forums in the future remember that. and don't believe everything you see on the net. now, it is time for me to finish my homework so I can go on with my life and not read any more on this thread because of a troll.

INHO,
Tony Rad

I would have to agree with Illuminatus. I know a couple guys with l33t sk1lz that use it occasionally. I've been known to say "w00t!" myself upon occasion, but usually only in bed. Generally the only people that take it seriously are script kiddies.

And calling Illuminatus a troll is rather rude. I don't see where s/he did anything but disagree.

--------------------
"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
-Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Posts: 1148 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ixhlbxi
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2666

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted April 19, 2004 20:50      Profile for ixhlbxi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stems from 80's hacker lingo. When a hacker 'rooted' (got root access to) a 'box' (a computer hooked up to the internet) he would exclaim "woot. (I have root.)" Later use spread to the hacker's lesser brethren, the gamer, and most hackers no longer use the term
Posts: 1 | From: here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 2 posted April 19, 2004 23:40      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone know what the term 'necro-post' means?

On a related note, I tend to shout things other than woot while rooting a box. [Big Grin]

Like: "Who's your daddy" or "Here, hold my beer for a sec"

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2004 23:46      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
Anyone know what the term 'necro-post' means?

Google has a load of stuff - as one might expect - but the first one seems to offer a reasonably clear definition if you read it through.

http://www.fredart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1001

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2004 00:10      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*ahem*

*nudges hey u*

Pssst......this thread is like so 2003 [Wink]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2004 00:37      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*giggles*
Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
geekcrayon
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2671

Icon 14 posted April 23, 2004 13:45      Profile for geekcrayon         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know whats better than w00t? WOOTCHA.

oooooooh yeah.

Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2004 14:03      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me holds cap'n's beer
Newsinewnew
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 44020

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2011 19:23      Profile for Newsinewnew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bit of a necro here, but I always thought it originated from Archie comics.
I think I remember it was used to represent the sound whenever someone whistled, I think in particular when Archie or Reggie wolf whistled at a girl they thought was hot.
Anyone with a collection of old Archie comics could probably verify it though.

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 07, 2013 15:07      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, reviving this thread because Abi was nice enough to email me about it!

------------
I don't exactly want to register for Geek Culture (I might when school finishes) but I was going to say that for the section of the forum that discusses the origin of WOOT , the answer is that it is an acronym for We Own the Other Team

Source: My Computer Science Professor,

Hope you're having a snazzy day!

Abi
---------------

well there you have it folks!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2013 12:28      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds ... wrong. And lame.

Also, the posters in this thread make me nostalgic.

http://grantbarrett.com/the-real-history-and-origin-of-woot-and-w00t

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture