homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » I Love my Computer   » GNU Cash Portable

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GNU Cash Portable
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2013 13:10      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back in MMVIII I with the advise from here installed GNU Cash Portable I have been pleased in the way it has kept our books,

HOWEVER today not so much, Today with no prior warning it just said that there was no more file room left, I had been blindly putting in all of our Checks, Pension Payments, tracking out goes. The normal things people use a checking register for, I click Save and I get a message that there is no room at the Inn.

I am willing to admit that the file had grown to Ten Percent of the USB Dongle size, I mean there is still 1.7Gig left for cripes sake.

Luckily today I could set down an and download a newer version and start with Jan one of MMXIII I just wished that it would have warned me.

Damn it only held FOUR YEARS of data.

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5472 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2013 14:23      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the file on the previous drive 4GB? Most USB flash drives are formatted with the FAT32 file system and file sizes are limited to one byte less than 4GB.

If that turns out to be your problem, move the files to you computer, reformat the drive with exFAT (assuming your OS supports it) and then move the files back.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2013 14:52      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In most cases I use Linux, however this time I used an old Dell with XP that computer is never put on-line so it would have to be a physical break-in to get the data. I do not have any account numbers with the records or the Thumb drive, which is stored separate from the laptop. Statements are shredded as soon as I have reconciled an account.

I was able to save the account record, up to the end of 2012, So I started this new one at Jan 1.

Just more of the frustration a computer can cause.

--------------------

Posts: 5472 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2013 18:53      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2 curious possibilities:

1) Limitations of software - Gnucash might not support more than x transactions. (Crazy, but possible.)

2) Limitation of file systems - a different issue than Steen suggested, but a real one nonetheless...FAT does not like having a /lot/ of files in the root directory. (i.e. E:\) If you create subdirectories and keep everything in them, it's cool. (On a related note, long file names contribute to this, as some voodoo goes on behind the scenes with directory entries that are used to fake it into reality.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9209 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2013 19:10      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dman, I believe that you are close, every time I record a weeks worth of checks it creates three files. Each time I tried to get around the problem I would get a message relating to permissions.

So there would have been about 450 files plus the reconcile files.

--------------------

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2013 23:47      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope this is OS or drive format related because I just started using GNUCash (not Portable) to keep track of all my monies. It's a great program!

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2329 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2013 06:08      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMKK, Fear not, there were a lot of checks, over 10K. Each Sunday Morn, I would enter the past weeks checks, then when the statement came one more save, so I generate about one hundred and ninety two files each year. At four and one half years it got constipated. I had often thought of starting a second file each new year but could not find my "Round Tuit"

What I did wrong, I just put the app. on the 2Gig drive installed it there and ran with it for four years. From GS and Dmans comments and what happened, I now see I should have created a folder for each year.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.