homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » I Love my Computer   » Would you use this device?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Would you use this device?
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2011 10:55      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smart Therostat.

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5455 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 25, 2011 12:52      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would! (Especially if it looks like HAL.) [Big Grin]

-

I've hated thermostats for years (although my current one is the best I've had, it's still irritating).

Posts: 7816 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2011 12:58      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy, me wonders how much spread sheet it has, seasons, months, week.

The Honeywell we have now is very good at Heat Anticipation. In fact only if a door is left open for a long period it does deviate, within a few cycles it is back on target.

We became spoiled at our last house, it had radiant heat in the floors and baseboard radiators. The controls were old school Mechanical thermostats, relay controlled pumps, and a multi-fire boiler. any time the outside air temp went below 55F there was a fire in the boiler. However the changes were so incremental that it was hard to notice that it was working.

--------------------

Posts: 5455 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2011 16:13      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Demo:

http://techcrunch.com/2011/10/24/tony-fadell-demos-his-new-nest-learning-thermostat-tctv/

Warning: beware of Sarah Lacy's mhmming!!!!!

Posts: 7816 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2011 16:59      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have long thought that thermostats in most houses need upgrading.

Even if they are digital most have miserable GUIs..

though an improvement I do not think this is the way to go. I would ratehr have the interface on my laptop/home computer/ iPad. That way updates and improving the devices would be much easier.

Thermostats should come with cat 5 access ports so you can plug them in to your house network. Who doens't have a network intheri house these days.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3080 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2011 18:20      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The biggest part is getting people to buy proportional heating systems.Thus in the Spring and Fall the heating system runs on Low or Medium and during the Winter it shifts back and forth from Medium to High. Those units are available but at a price point about three times that of the economy heater.

Once they have lived with a truly proportional system they would not want to go back. At this point I am trying to justify yanking our furnace and AC and replacing it with a proportional system, up front costs will be high, however comfort level and the lower operating costs. Would satisfy me.

A few years back a co-worker needed a new furnace, I talked him into a two burner model. One burner was 1/3 of the rated output the other 2/3s Thus the controls could provide L,M,H. Plus it had a modulated fan. After the first winter his wife informed him that they were never going to move.

--------------------

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2011 13:40      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, Ash, this thing does have a PC interface and an iOS app, with an Android app coming soon. It is wifi connected and learns how you adjust the temperature vs. local weather conditions, in addition to its other learning habits.

My question is this -- The specs say it has a built-in rechargeable li-ion battery, but no mention anywhere I could find about how you charge it. Is it drawing power off the low-voltage thermostat line?

Posts: 1668 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2011 13:53      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats probably where it gets the charge power. If the charger was designed correctly it should not hold in the gas valve or relays at the heating device.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.